PDA

View Full Version : VM Router HP Touchpad losing Virgin WiFi connection

SilverLady
30-01-2012, 14:11
Hi

I wondered if anyone else had the same problem I'm having and had found a solution.

Last year our router broke and we replaced it with a Virgin cable combined modem/router (on 10M speed). Connected to this we have a wireless desktop, laptop, and 2 tablets, plus a wired desktop.

Everything works very well EXCEPT the HP Touchpad tablet. It only gets 2 bar connection (no connection at all in some rooms where other things can work) and drops connection to web frequently while in use, despite wireless still showing 2 bars. Switching off and on or rebooting modem connects again - until a short time later.

I have googled this and it seems a common fault with the Touchpad, but all the replies discussing router settings are way beyond me. Nor do I want to get anything done eg changing channels, that may interfere with the otherwise good working of the modem/router.

Anyone know if there is a simple solution?

Andrewcrawford23
30-01-2012, 14:32
Hi

I wondered if anyone else had the same problem I'm having and had found a solution.

Last year our router broke and we replaced it with a Virgin cable combined modem/router (on 10M speed). Connected to this we have a wireless desktop, laptop, and 2 tablets, plus a wired desktop.

Everything works very well EXCEPT the HP Touchpad tablet. It only gets 2 bar connection (no connection at all in some rooms where other things can work) and drops connection to web frequently while in use, despite wireless still showing 2 bars. Switching off and on or rebooting modem connects again - until a short time later.

I have googled this and it seems a common fault with the Touchpad, but all the replies discussing router settings are way beyond me. Nor do I want to get anything done eg changing channels, that may interfere with the otherwise good working of the modem/router.

Anyone know if there is a simple solution?

given anything else is working fine i suggest contacting hp support as it will be problem withteh touchpad

the reason i suggest hp is firstly virign dnt support it and would pass you onto there digital home service which is ok but it costs you, and secondly hp will know there device better than anyone should would be best position to determine if it faulty or a setting needs changed

SilverLady
30-01-2012, 15:19
Thanks Andrew

The problem does lie with the HP touchpad and judging from googling it is a very common one. Unfortunately all the information on correcting it seem to involve changing the channels or settings on the router.

Andrewcrawford23
30-01-2012, 15:21
Thanks Andrew

The problem does lie with the HP touchpad and judging from googling it is a very common one. Unfortunately all the information on correcting it seem to involve changing the channels or settings on the router.

i dnt think that will help chanign the channel because yoru other devices are workign fine, if it was channel issue the other devices would be having problems to, can you post a link to the sites with what setting sit sayign to change and i can try advise if they might help i suspect not and it will be setting ont eh touchpad that needs changed not the router

SilverLady
30-01-2012, 17:01
Hi Andrew

I've been googling again to get you a link and came across a hint I'm trying now from the site

http://forums.hpwebos.com/t5/HP-TouchPad-Software-Hardware/TouchPad-loses-internet-connection/td-p/354174

It mentions turning off 'developer mode' (whatever that is!!) on the touchpad. I've followed the instructions and changed the setting from ON to OFF and I've actually got 3 bars of wifi connection showing. Won't know until I'm using it for longer whether the connection is going to keep disappearing, but looks hopeful.

Probably find I've disabled something I will need, but at least I know how to turn Developer Mode back on if necessary.

Anything is worth a try rather than interfering with the modem/router.

Thanks for your help. I'll post tomorrow to say how things are going.

SilverLady
31-01-2012, 15:02
Well, so far, so good. I've got a much stronger signal and didn't lose connection yesterday evening.

If this is a permanent solution, it's very simple. I feel sorry for the people using the advice forums I googled, who were told to alter their router channels/settings and in several cases, advised to buy new routers.

Andrewcrawford23
31-01-2012, 17:43
Well, so far, so good. I've got a much stronger signal and didn't lose connection yesterday evening.

If this is a permanent solution, it's very simple. I feel sorry for the people using the advice forums I googled, who were told to alter their router channels/settings and in several cases, advised to buy new routers.

that why i wont recommend it on my own support forums , i will only recommened it after through testing but even then i rather test it in person so i know it needs replaced because unless the user is computer litera there a chance they will makea mistake and you have cost them money or work they didnt need to do, anyone who says a router is faulty ora conneciton is faulty when otehr devices work really need to be retrained if you have 10 devices working and 1 not mmmm the problem is with teh device that wont work, nto saying you wher eliek that just a generally observation of users and support techs

AndyCalling
31-01-2012, 18:10
Not always true. I have a netgear wnr1000v3 and recently netgear have released a new firmware for it. With the new firmware it works fine, until my HTC Wildfire phone tries to transfer much data whereupon all hell breaks loose. Other devices don't cause any issues. Reverting to the previous netgear firmware stops the Wildfire issue.

So you see, a single device having trouble with a router may well indicate a duff router. Testing is the only approach.

Andrewcrawford23
31-01-2012, 19:12
Not always true. I have a netgear wnr1000v3 and recently netgear have released a new firmware for it. With the new firmware it works fine, until my HTC Wildfire phone tries to transfer much data whereupon all hell breaks loose. Other devices don't cause any issues. Reverting to the previous netgear firmware stops the Wildfire issue.

So you see, a single device having trouble with a router may well indicate a duff router. Testing is the only approach.

eithe way i still am unlikely to recommend a replacemtn unles si have tested it because users can make mistake s with tests, but so can i but i know generally with the data coming back if it have if you knwo wha ti mean

it general rules that it be the device but yes yoru case proves it it might nto be but if a firmware was not available and you done all the tests it would say it was the device wether it faulty ora a rogue setting would be anyone guess, testing can only prove what you can see at the time but a update could then fix it later and introduce a new problem it the way with software look at the shub ;) but i do take your point

AndyCalling
31-01-2012, 21:11
Indeed, I need not replace my WNR1000v3 router and a future update may sort it out. I just won't use this version of the firmware. The fault may be firmware based but it is certainly router-side, not client side. It is simply dodged in my case but is a proof of concept.

I would suspect a client-side issue in the case you were commenting on AC23, that's what I'd test for first. A router-side issue would not surprise me though, but I too would not recommend spending money before testing and researching thoroughly first.