PDA

View Full Version : Football Should there a European Super League

Alan Fry
30-01-2012, 12:41
What I want to ask is that should the major clubs of Europe leave their current leagues and start a European Super League so that other clubs can win their national competitions and the Champions League?

martyh
30-01-2012, 12:43
What I want to ask is that should the major clubs of Europe leave their current leagues and start a European Super League so that other clubs can win their national competitions and the Champions League?

I thought we already one in the Champions league

Alan Fry
30-01-2012, 12:45
I thought we already one in the Champions league

It meant one so that they big clubs can play in rather than play in the Champions league and the Premier League, so the rest of us can win them!

Russ
30-01-2012, 12:47
How do I make the word 'no' sound any more emphatic?

joglynne
30-01-2012, 12:47
Wouldn't take be a tad expensive for the fans?

Alan Fry
30-01-2012, 12:49

I know what you think, I am asking what other CF Users think, I am moving this debate out of "Football" thread

You can vote "Yes" or "No" and be honest!

denphone
30-01-2012, 12:49
The simple answer is no.

Alan Fry
30-01-2012, 12:50
Wouldn't take be a tad expensive for the fans?

It is very expensive right now, especially if you get tickets from a major club!

martyh
30-01-2012, 12:51
It meant one so that they big clubs can play in rather than play in the Champions league and the Premier League, so the rest of us can win them!

who do you mean by the "rest of us ":confused:
I realy don't see what the point of your question is because the top UK/European clubs are already well catered for in the Champions league an EUFA cups which are the same as a 'super league' ...to me anyway

v0id
30-01-2012, 12:53
Euro league and Champons league are more than enough ..as well as playing for a domestic league

I do think each team should limit the amount of foreign players in their available 25 man squad to a max of 5, concentrate more on home grown talent
(but hey, that's a bit off topic)

Alan Fry
30-01-2012, 13:09
who do you mean by the "rest of us ":confused:
I realy don't see what the point of your question is because the top UK/European clubs are already well catered for in the Champions league an EUFA cups which are the same as a 'super league' ...to me anyway

So that other smaller football clubs do not put themselfs out of business and to create a more competitive league!

Hugh
30-01-2012, 13:16
Be a bit tricky going to some of the away matches.....

denphone
30-01-2012, 13:17
Yes a big strain on the pocket for one thing.

Sirius
30-01-2012, 13:29

:LOL:

Be a bit tricky going to some of the away matches.....

Yes a big strain on the pocket for one thing.

Depends on how you travel ;)

Stuart
30-01-2012, 13:38
So that other smaller football clubs do not put themselfs out of business and to create a more competitive league!

Is there any evidence that works? After all, IIRC, they said they same would happen when the Premier League was created. All that happened is that Sky threw money at the Premier league. As a result, Player costs and wages went through the roof, and as a result, despite high ticket costs and a good payout from sky, most of the Premier League clubs are heavily in debt. In fact, according to http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/19/football-club-accounts-debt, 16 of the top 20 clubs recorded a loss in 2009/2010. The total loss for the clubs was nearly half a billion pounds.

I can sort of see what you are saying though. I think you are thinking that if the likes of Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea are off playing in some European league, then the money for the TV rights (and radio rights assuming there is any) will be spread amongst the lower clubs more easily.

That may be true, but Sky provide a lot of that money. Sky are a business, so it's in their interest to provide what their customers are interested in. Their customers (a lot of whom support Premier League clubs) are likely to want to continue watching those clubs. So, I think that if the clubs leave the English league for some European league, so will the money they attract.

Personally, I think the Champions league is enough. It offers a chance for the top European clubs to compete against each other, but allows them to play in their home country as well.

Alan Fry
30-01-2012, 13:49
Is there any evidence that works? After all, IIRC, they said they same would happen when the Premier League was created. All that happened is that Sky threw money at the Premier league. As a result, Player costs and wages went through the roof, and as a result, despite high ticket costs and a good payout from sky, most of the Premier League clubs are heavily in debt. In fact, according to http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/19/football-club-accounts-debt, 16 of the top 20 clubs recorded a loss in 2009/2010. The total loss for the clubs was nearly half a billion pounds.

I can sort of see what you are saying though. I think you are thinking that if the likes of Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea are off playing in some European league, then the money for the TV rights (and radio rights assuming there is any) will be spread amongst the lower clubs more easily.

That may be true, but Sky provide a lot of that money. Sky are a business, so it's in their interest to provide what their customers are interested in. Their customers (a lot of whom support Premier League clubs) are likely to want to continue watching those clubs. So, I think that if the clubs leave the English league for some European league, so will the money they attract.

Personally, I think the Champions league is enough. It offers a chance for the top European clubs to compete against each other, but allows them to play in their home country as well.

You make a rather good point!

Damien
30-01-2012, 22:19
The establishment of a European Super League would likely see the introduction of a American style franchise system, that would almost certainly be the appeal for a lot of the owners who will suddenly find themselves the owners of a very rare commodity; A European football franchise. This would mean no relegation (which would have been tricky to manage anyway).

The benefits could mean a introduction of a wage cap, as all new members of the super league would agree to this and there would be little danger of their players been poached. You could have a draft system similar to the NFL where the choice players from the domestic leagues can sign up to the Super league, more evenly distributing the best players across the league - you also enforce some sort of system where the clubs get priority for players from the same nation.

I think you would need to make it 16 teams, removing some games from the calendar to allow for travel and find time for domestic cup competitions and international games.

It could work.

LondonRoad
30-01-2012, 22:50

Try

NO

It might be considered a bit rude but it does add some emphasis.

gazzae
30-01-2012, 22:59
The establishment of a European Super League would likely see the introduction of a American style franchise system, that would almost certainly be the appeal for a lot of the owners who will suddenly find themselves the owners of a very rare commodity; A European football franchise. This would mean no relegation (which would have been tricky to manage anyway).

Would mean they have to hand control over to the league. Can't see many owners being happy with that.

TheDaddy
04-02-2012, 06:48

How big will clubs be after five, ten, fifteen years of winning nothing and finishing near the bottom of the Super League and who'd want to win a Premier League without the best clubs in it, it'd be about as good as winning The Championship.

Alan Fry
04-02-2012, 12:55
How big will clubs be after five, ten, fifteen years of winning nothing and finishing near the bottom of the Super League and who'd want to win a Premier League without the best clubs in it, it'd be about as good as winning The Championship.

Our major clubs are amoung the best in Europe, only Real Madrid and Barcalona are better

For teams like Bolton, if the dominate the Premier League after the big Clubs leave, then they can join a European Super League

Maybe there could be some sort of promotion/relagation system between the European Super League and the Top European National Leagues!