PDA

View Full Version : 100M 100MB Question.

shenfrey
28-01-2012, 13:44
2 weeks wait, technician coming round today to install my new modem and 100MB Broadband. I am not to concerned on weather or not I will get the full 100, because I am less then half a mile away from our exchange centre and even on 50MB I reach over 6MB/s.

What I would like to know is, what typical upload speed should I be seeing and is there still a cap on how much I can download or am I completely free to download how much I want?

I assumed an extra £7 a month its worth getting the 100, especially seeing the upgrade we will be getting for free later on, so looking forward to it : )

Thanks guys.

thenry
28-01-2012, 13:58
2 weeks wait, technician coming round today to install my new modem and 100MB Broadband. I am not to concerned on weather or not I will get the full 100, because I am less then half a mile away from our exchange centre and even on 50MB I reach over 6MB/s.

it'll depend on over subscription and a few other things not how far your away from the exchange thats lame BT horsepoo. its important that power levels are within range for your services to run smoothly, the tech should set everything up correctly.

What I would like to know is, what typical upload speed should I be seeing

100Mb down, 10Mb up.. depending on whether your areas been upgraded...

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/schedule%2021%2012%2011.pdf

and is there still a cap on how much I can download or am I completely free to download how much I want?

I assumed an extra £7 a month its worth getting the 100, especially seeing the upgrade we will be getting for free later on, so looking forward to it : )

Thanks guys.

theres no traffic management

Nicosia
28-01-2012, 14:14
Yea.. distance from the exchange only matters if you are using adsl.. Congrats on getting 100mbit though

shenfrey
28-01-2012, 16:22
Thanks guys, when the technician does arrive, I don't want super hub installed I would like to continue to use Time Capsule. Is this possible?

Thanks again guys.

Nicosia
28-01-2012, 16:38
Thanks guys, when the technician does arrive, I don't want super hub installed I would like to continue to use Time Capsule. Is this possible?

Thanks again guys.

I dont think they will let you but it cant hurt to ask the tech when he comes.. but the super hub is good

gba93
28-01-2012, 16:40
I dont think they will let you but it cant hurt to ask the tech when he comes.. but the super hub is good
Now for the avalanche of contrary opinion ....... :rolleyes:

AndyCalling
28-01-2012, 16:50
One quick point for the OP, but one worth mentioning, this thread is getting needlessly confusing due to the measurements notation being used.

50Mb/s (megabits per second) = 6.25MB/s (megabytes per second)

Note the cases used; Mb is megabits, MB is megabytes.

I hope this doesn't come across as too picky, I only mean to aid communication.

Nicosia
28-01-2012, 16:55
Now for the avalanche of contrary opinion ....... :rolleyes:

apologies..

But I think I remember reading a thread where some one was angry that an engineer would not let some one use his own hub and had to have the super hub installed?

REM
28-01-2012, 17:02
theres no traffic management

Isn't the fact that newsgroups are being heavily restricted except for the early hours, traffic management?

I kills me to see 186kb/s DL :(

Andrewcrawford23
28-01-2012, 18:56
apologies..

But I think I remember reading a thread where some one was angry that an engineer would not let some one use his own hub and had to have the super hub installed?

the engineer isnt allowed ot set it up with yoru own rotuer oyu have to do that yourself, you turn superhub into mdoem modem plg the time capsule in and it hsoul all work as it was before the tech will if goign by the book will only fit the superhub and make sure it si working, ther eno traffic management currently but witht eh pending upgrade since 100mb is goign to be the same as 50mb upgrade and everyone then on 100mb goign to 120mb it is not clear if they will remove the traffic mamangement that is with the 50mb or add the traffic maangement to all