PDA

View Full Version : Superhub VM Superhub vs. modem + own router

kefan77
28-01-2012, 00:21
hi,

I'm with VM, 50/5 connection only, contract expired about 6 months ago, but I'm still using the services quite happily and intend to continue.

About 5 months ago (already out of contract) I experienced some issues with the router (D-Link Dir-615 i think) provided by VM.

contacted support, asked for replacement, got it, but they said as they don't do separate routers now, they can only do superhub.

so got SH, installed it etc etc. and my connection was not 50/5, but 50/2.

did all sorts of troubleshooting, no help.

then decided to reconnect the original modem (VMNG300) + my own router and suddenly it's 50/5 again.

so after a day SH has been in the box, not being used. It's been like this for months.

My question is: is SH now my property or does it still belong to VM? (as mentioned they supplied it when I was out of contract and a replacement for faulty router)

thanks

Sephiroth
28-01-2012, 00:26
Try the SH in modem mode with the DIR-615 connected.

The SH is fine (by reputation) in modem mode. That's how I run.

Let us know.

kefan77
28-01-2012, 00:33
hi,

thanks for reply but I'll leave it as it is, as it's working flawlessly and changing it to superhub would mean calling in to change MAC address, then spending time setting all up and then if it still wouldn't work, calling in again to revert MAC again and such.

we get 100MB in July in our area, till then I'll be just fine like it is now.

my principal question was to find out if the SH is mine or theirs now.

Sephiroth
28-01-2012, 09:39
It's VM's under the T&Cs. You're never out of contract while using their service but after the contractual period has expired you can terminate at 30 days notice without penalty.

If they send you a new SH because they regard the original one as faulty, the original is still theirs but deemed non-functional. No man's land, I suppose.

Peter_
28-01-2012, 12:17
The modem is always the property of Virgin Media and you cannot sell it as it will not work on another account as it will be listed against your account.

Sephiroth
28-01-2012, 12:25
If I had a replacement hub, I'd tear the old one (belonging to VM) apart and look at the bits that aren't clear in other people's photos, LOL.

kwikbreaks
28-01-2012, 12:53
What bits do you want to look at?

Sephiroth
28-01-2012, 13:24
Dunno till I rip one apart. I've got a pretty good idea from the various photos, including those in the other place. But there's nothing like doing it for yourself, looking at the pin-outs and so on.

Skie
28-01-2012, 15:25
I suspect those of who have VMNG300's on 50 meg will have spare superhubs coming out of the wazoo when the doubling rolls out.

qasdfdsaq
28-01-2012, 16:05
Sweet. Tons of free superhubs for me then.