PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Sending Emails

Devonish
24-01-2012, 18:58
Hi All,
Specific problem is that I could not send emails from my mac via virgin.
I have a wired/cable connection, had not changed any settings prior to the problem starting 20/01/12 & all settings were as they should have been.
On 23/01/12 I made 2 changes & was then able to send my emails but am a little concerned the changes are very wrong & will cause me other problems.
Changes made were, I unchecked SSL & set SMTP authentification to 'none' in the area for sending emails. A VirginMedia rep. in ?India would only keep repeating that I should keep the settings as recommended ie SSL ticked & SMTP authentication set to password.
Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

General Maximus
24-01-2012, 19:08
wellllllllll, the options you have removed basically send your email over a secure channel with authentication and the worst that can happen with them removed is that somebody intercepts and reads your emails.

That being said, there is no reason why you shouldn't use them, it is easier enough to configure and should work. I don't know if macs use the same ports as PCs but on mine i have got the boxes ticked for " my server requires authenication" and put in my VM password (case sensitive) and with regards to the server port numbers (with the SSL options selected) you need to change them to 465 for smtp and 995 for pop3/imap4. If you get that right it should work no problemo.

Devonish
24-01-2012, 21:36
Thanks for the reply G.M., as said my setting were correct ie 465, SSL checked & authentification set to password but I suddenly could not send any emails, the only way I can currently send emails is with SSL unchecked & authentification set to 'none'. Cannot think what is wrong & VirginMedia are unable to offer up a solution. A Royal Pain.

General Maximus
24-01-2012, 21:44
does your client come up with any error messages like authentication failed, indicating a password problem or anything like that?

Devonish
24-01-2012, 22:30
No, only that 'cannot use the nominated server' 'SMTP.NTLWORLD.COM' even though everything is seemingly set up correctly? Actually a look around the net throws up many similar issues with no out & out resolution. Maybe it's one of those that will just right itself.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Have just found a posting on the same issue, 'Has SMTP.NTLWORLD.COM' gone' by antelope. It's worth a look, seems there is an identified problem.

progers
25-01-2012, 09:24
No, only that 'cannot use the nominated server' 'SMTP.NTLWORLD.COM' even though everything is seemingly set up correctly? Actually a look around the net throws up many similar issues with no out & out resolution. Maybe it's one of those that will just right itself.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Have just found a posting on the same issue, 'Has SMTP.NTLWORLD.COM' gone' by antelope. It's worth a look, seems there is an identified problem.

Try changing to smtp.virginmedia.com