PDA

View Full Version : VM Router Motorola

shiftman
23-01-2012, 15:24
Hi could someone help i have a motorola modem and netgear n wireless router and i am getting a lot of dropped connections any ideas

thenry
23-01-2012, 15:46
you have an out of date modem. call VM 150 from your homephone and get your modem replaced, tell them its playing up and you need a new one.

Peter_
23-01-2012, 16:10
Please post the modem model and the Upstream and Downstream stats from your modem just click http://192.168.100.1/

This will give us an idea as to what is happening with the modem.

The Installer
23-01-2012, 17:23
you have an out of date modem. call VM 150 from your homephone and get your modem replaced, tell them its playing up and you need a new one.

Goodness me, you do post some drivel from time to time you know :dozey:

To the OP, are you getting these dropped connections via wireless or when connected via a cable to your router or both?

thenry
23-01-2012, 17:36
Goodness me, you do post some drivel from time to time you know :dozey:

The OPs modem needs replacing

The Installer
23-01-2012, 17:43

You know that for sure do you?

No, you don't :erm:

thenry
23-01-2012, 17:47
the docsis1 modems need replacing. I very much doubt a firmware update will be pushed to the old piece of junk.

The Installer
23-01-2012, 17:56
the docsis1 modems need replacing. I very much doubt a firmware update will be pushed to the old piece of junk.

And as i said, you know for sure that OP's modem needs replacing do you?

The answer is still, no you don't!

Firing off answers like "oh you need a new modem" are of no help to anyone.

You have no idea what kind of problems the OP is having, you have no idea what model of modem the OP has other than its a Moto, you also have no idea if the OP might have incorrect power levels which are causing these problems.

As you can see, there are loads of other things which could be the cause of the problem here, but you still say the OP requires a new modem.... So what if that isn't the fault, and after getting a new modem the OP still has the same problems?

Without more information from the OP, you would be best not making any kind of "recommendations".

thenry
23-01-2012, 17:58
Fair enough. It still needs replacing though :D

The Installer
23-01-2012, 18:00

You just kind of don't get it do you........ :td:

thenry
23-01-2012, 18:08
No i do. I jumped on the old kit that needs replacing like a ton of bricks not bothering to explore other possible faults.

The Installer
23-01-2012, 18:18
I jumped on the old kit that needs replacing like a ton of bricks not bothering to explore other possible faults.

Quite.

Skie
23-01-2012, 18:41
It was already replaced. With a clone! :angel:

General Maximus
23-01-2012, 21:25
No i do. I jumped on the old kit that needs replacing like a ton of bricks not bothering to explore other possible faults.

you are both right and both wrong, regardless of the fault, the modem will be replaced anyway because it is ancient and they'll probably want to do that just to see if it does cure the problem before they waste time looking at anything else.

It was already replaced. With a clone! :angel:

be nice

shiftman
24-01-2012, 13:18
Thanks guys they are sending me a new modem see how that goes.

Sephiroth
24-01-2012, 13:27
You know what's gonna happen!

The OP will get the new modem and things willbe perfect because the line condition that's suddenly arisen has been fixed or gon away!

thenry will claim victory, The Installer will have to concede that he couldn't be sure it was any other kind of fault and it'llbe smiles all round. Starting now, LOL!

But of course, if on the other hand ........

qasdfdsaq
24-01-2012, 13:33
There is only one hand, and it's got a cloned modem in it.

General Maximus
24-01-2012, 19:14
this is why he is having a problem. You have daisy chained five 100mbit modems and are using his connection to get on the internet.

Sirius
24-01-2012, 19:21

One day you will learn

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

No

his haxorware needs replacing with a sub thenry brain fart

qasdfdsaq
24-01-2012, 19:21
Modem replacements fix everything. Even my backache.

Sirius
24-01-2012, 19:26
this is why he is having a problem. You have daisy chained five 100mbit modems and are using his connection to get on the internet.

:nono::nono: Dont tell thenry :)

The Installer
24-01-2012, 19:39
Whats that clicking i can hear? :erm:

General Maximus
24-01-2012, 19:41
i don't understand why you are all giving him a hard time with the modem replacement. You know what VM are like, they send out modems and shubs willy nillys before they try to fix something. If they are happy to spend however many millions replacing VMNG300s needlessly they are defo going to want to replace an old Motorola modem.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Whats that clicking i can hear? :erm:

qasdfdsaq clicking his mouse at an insane speed trying to download as much as he can

thenry
24-01-2012, 23:13
Funny

MovedGoalPosts
24-01-2012, 23:22
Time to stop derailing this thread with yet more inappropriate references to cloning whihc have no relevance to the OP's problems.

thenry
25-01-2012, 01:03
It was derailed from the start thanks to my smart ass ways

savenosouls
25-01-2012, 10:16
With regards the heated exchange above - I have a very old Motorola modem (had it since the day of my installation in Telewest days circa 7 years ago) - Virgin are presumably aware of it - works fine for my 10Mb broadband.

I don't understand the "needs replacing" because it is "old" comments above - could someone give my a sensible (non abusive) non techy explanation why old modems needs replaced. If they needed replaced - surely Virgin would have done it!!!!!

Just curious - sorry!

General Maximus
25-01-2012, 12:54
they are doing it, which is why they are telling people with perfectly decent modems that they need replacing (look at my sig).

To be fair though, what they are trying to do in theory is admirable and that is future proof their network. As an example, the modem I have atm can only support 4 downstream channels and the shubs they are dishing out can support 8. 100mbit is 100mbit but if the 4 channels my modem locks on to are congested then I am screwed. With 8 channels you have a greater chance of achieving your max speed because it will load balance across 8 channels instead of 4 and relieve the congestion on each channel.

Now that is with my modem. Without looking your's up I would assume it only has 1 or 2 ds channels and you will be on docsis 1 so with them wanging you up to 20mbit soon (or whatever it is) I am sure you will need a new modem anyways. My terayon tj210 I had back in the days of ntl handled 10mbit just fine but i needed to ring up for a new one when I upgraded to 20mbit and the funny thing is that although you think they know this stuff, they upgraded me without even thinking about it and I had to realise I wasn't getting full speed and ring them up for a new modem. These days they are doing it the other way around and wanting to swap out the modems first.

Peter_
25-01-2012, 16:46
With regards the heated exchange above - I have a very old Motorola modem (had it since the day of my installation in Telewest days circa 7 years ago) - Virgin are presumably aware of it - works fine for my 10Mb broadband.

I don't understand the "needs replacing" because it is "old" comments above - could someone give my a sensible (non abusive) non techy explanation why old modems needs replaced. If they needed replaced - surely Virgin would have done it!!!!!

Just curious - sorry!
It is basically an antique and needs replacing and I would do so if you rang up and I saw it on your account even if it was an email issue.

What speed are you on and what model is the Motorola modem.