PDA

View Full Version : Superhub ntl mail address via gmail

olivedelberto
23-01-2012, 11:11
hey, good to meet you all.
Here's the situation. Probably an easy one to crack if you have half a brain and a wee bit of experience. I used to be good at this stuff, but it just moves too fast for me now !
Here's the kit list - some of which will be irrelevant but just so as you know...

phone - HTC desire S - on 3 - pretty good out of the house, rubbish indoors
imac at home 3.06 Ghz core duo - ethernet wired to Virgin Media superhub - with up to 30mb (!) upstairs in wee office
wireless used to get my htc, and my daughter's itouch and kindle online downstairs.

email is primarily @ntlworld.com ..... which I have managed to configure on HTC so I get emails to that address using recent:mode.
I send emails from that account using smtb-mbb.three.co.uk.

but of course this is rubbish if wanting to send emails from my phone while in the house (unless I wish to stand on one leg reaching for the ceiling above the wardrobe in my daughter's bedroom which is where I get 1 bar!)

I have a gmail account - I have read about pushing email but I still don't understand! i want to keep my ntlworld email as long as I can...
what do you clever people suggest?
I assume that the gmail account goes via wireless to the imac and then to the outside world and th ephone signal has nothing to do with it?
for instance, can i use ntlworld account via gmail so that the recipient gets the email but it looks like it still came from the @ntlworld account??

any thoughts ideas solutions gratefully received!

olive

thenry
23-01-2012, 12:29
I don't fully understand your issues. Are you having connectivity issues to the router (wireless network)?

what troubles have you got sending emails?

qasdfdsaq
23-01-2012, 13:24
You don't need to set up gmail anything, just set your phone to use your NTLWorld account and NTLWorld SMTP. If that doesn't work, go ahead and use GMail SMTP. You don't need to push your email through anything.

Oh and get rid of that stupid hack of a standard recent: mode, it's just ... pointless

Chalky
23-01-2012, 14:14
Indeed. Use the email app on the phone, not the gmail app. Use the settings on here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=A1648189-DCC8-4954-946C-95D4BD8C3B7F
I have HTC wildfire and ntlworld acc. I use the IMAP for incoming and SMTP for outgoing. If you then use virginmedia.com instead on ntlworld.com too it will still work (for the server names not your email address) as that's what I've done.