PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Video Trouble

dunc.58
23-01-2012, 10:57
Hello,
Sorry if I'm going over old ground here but I'm not very cyber savvy and could do with some advice please.
I have Virgin Media broadband upto 10mb and on the speed test its always over 9mb, I pay £21.50/month for what they say is Medium broadband, thats for broadband only as I'm hard of hearing and the phones not much use to me.
The problem I have is I can't play videos on Youtube, BBC Sport website etc etc they start for a few seconds and then stop no matter of refreshing will make them go any further.
Its not my devices thats the problem as I can play them fine at other places that are supposed to have upto 10mb connection, the devices being a laptop, a netbook and a Ipad.
The broadband goes through the Modem to a wireless router and the signal strength is classed as excellent as its in the same room as I usually us said devices.
I have emailed VM on many occasions about my problem and after several emails telling me to phone/me saying I can't, they ignore me!
What can I do, I don't fancy having to pay BT to install a telephone line so I can get someone elses Broadband.
Any advice would be most welcome.

thenry
23-01-2012, 12:13
Which router do you have?

Have you tried a direct connection from your modem to a device.. pc/laptop connected via a ethernet to test?

does it happen on both wired and wireless connections connected to your router?

dunc.58
24-01-2012, 11:42
Thanks for the reply,
I have tried connecting by ethernet cable direct to the router before with no success but didn't try via just the modem as I thought it would be the same, after trying that however it works, youtube is playing fine.
What can I do to make it work wirelessly? the router I am using is a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHZ 54mbps model no. WRT54G.
Do I need a new router? and if so can someone recommend one that won't break the bank so to speak ;)
Many thanks

Andrewcrawford23
24-01-2012, 12:09
you might need a enw rotuer, but it most likely hte router needs to be configured correctly and generally it qos or uplink restriction on teh rotuer by default that will cause hte problem, unfortnally i dnt have much time jsut now to go dig out the type of rotuer you have and get the manual of the config pages so i could guide oyu thorugh makign sure it is set up correctly, once set up correctly if it still not working right then you would needa new rotuer, hoepfulyl someone will have time to guide oyu thorugh setting it up correctly if it ait already, as for replacement depends on your exact needs and budget, and what you have currently, no point suggesting a powerful n router if your devices only do g

dunc.58
25-01-2012, 12:24
Thanks for the help, I went on the Linksys website and downloaded a firmware update for the router and all is now well :D