PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Telnet password for superhub

One Pound
21-01-2012, 19:03
I've just had Virgin Cable installed. I see that there is a telnet server running on the superhub and I'd like to have a tinker about with it, but I can't seem to figure out what the password is.

Each time I try I see this:

Netgear Embedded Telnet Server (c) 2000-2007
WARNING: Access allowed by authorized users only.
login: admin
password:
Cannot validate User/Password...
Bye bye...

Then eventually

Your IP address has been logged and reported.
Bye bye...

I've tried these based on Google results:

admin:changeme
admin:<my superhub password>
admin:cableroot
MSO:changeme

None of them seem to work.

The web interface seems to allow access OK

General Maximus
21-01-2012, 19:07
although it looks like the server is up and running I believe they disabled access to it a few fireware releases ago. People were using it as back door access because you could ssh into it and put it in modem mode (before modem mode was released) and when they found out what people were doing they disabled it and shortly after released modem mode.

kwikbreaks
21-01-2012, 19:15
Pretty much correct except it took months before there was a general release of a firmware that included modem mode.

Skie
21-01-2012, 21:38
Yep, VM rushed out a "fix" for users being able to access the SH via SSH within a week or so of it becoming known, but then took MONTHS to enable a feature that was already present via SSH.

Sirius
21-01-2012, 21:43
Yep, VM rushed out a "fix" for users being able to access the SH via SSH within a week or so of it becoming known, but then took MONTHS to enable a feature that was already present via SSH.

That sums it up the best :tu:

kwikbreaks
21-01-2012, 22:45
That rushed fix also included publicly untested fixes for other problems - maybe minor maybe not but on the beta firmware at the time there was an error on WiFi channel availability - it only went to 11 (iirc) in the advanced settings although it was still ok (up to 13) in the Janet and John section - that error was not present in the released version. Maybe there were more than the two changes? Who knows there has never been any modification log released.

Skie
21-01-2012, 23:20
Didn't it also completely bugger streaming videos too?

Peter_
21-01-2012, 23:29
Didn't it also completely bugger streaming videos too?
I can stream through my Superhub as can most people.

One Pound
22-01-2012, 00:40
So why don't Virgin like people SSHing into a piece of hardware that they own(?)?

The SSH port isn't open on my router, only the telnet port.

I'm surprised nobody has 'jail broken' their router and provided instructions on how other people can do it.

webrosc
22-01-2012, 00:55
So why don't Virgin like people SSHing into a piece of hardware that they own(?)?

I'm surprised nobody has 'jail broken' their router and provided instructions on how other people can do it.

you don't own the superhub, all equipment is property of virgin, except the free router they gave away

qasdfdsaq
22-01-2012, 00:58
you don't own the superhub, all equipment is property of virgin, except the free router they gave away
You know what else is the property of Virgin?

Your soul.

kwikbreaks
22-01-2012, 11:12
You know what else is the property of Virgin?

Your soul.Not mine but I'd hazard a guess they certainly own some.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

So why don't Virgin like people SSHing into a piece of hardware that they own(?)? I'd guess that they are afraid that being able to dig around the innards may allow configs to be modified or reveal stuff that would assist modem cloning.

Peter_
22-01-2012, 11:30

It is not your property and Virgin Media do not want you messing around with their property, it has been locked down accordingly to prevent any such access and if someone did jailbreak it they would be in breach of the Terms and Conditions of their contract, and if it was posted it would be quickly shut down.

Kymmy
22-01-2012, 12:39
It is not your property and Virgin Media do not want you messing around with their property, it has been locked down accordingly to prevent any such access and if someone did jailbreak it they would be in breach of the Terms and Conditions of their contract, and if it was posted it would be quickly shut down.

Depends if by jailbreaking it you would be receiving services you don't subscribe to... Currently we allow altering the cable discussions (against T&Cs) and also the original discussions based on the SSH capability (which I presume then was against the T&C's)

So things against VM's T&C's are not our responsibility to police and tend to be removed/restricted only if they break our rules on legality..

qasdfdsaq
22-01-2012, 12:51
Wasn't it recently determined (in court somewhere) that jailbreaking isn't against the law?

Peter_
22-01-2012, 12:53
Depends if by jailbreaking it you would be receiving services you don't subscribe to... Currently we allow altering the cable discussions (against T&Cs) and also the original discussions based on the SSH capability (which I presume then was against the T&C's)

So things against VM's T&C's are not our responsibility to police and tend to be removed/restricted only if they break our rules on legality..
I did not mention jailbreaking but advised any attempt to break through the firmware attempting to jailbreak the Superhub would be against the Terms and Conditions of their contract and if someone did then posted details it would be very quickly shut down.

The are no valid reasons to enter your modems setup by breaking into it and all would be against the Terms and Conditions of their contract.

qasdfdsaq
22-01-2012, 13:17
Three reasons I can think of are:

1) Improving the reliability and performance problems some people are seeing
2) Giving it a proper bridge mode
3) Letting you see detailed stats on why your connection is/isn't functioning the way it should when VM support are being totally useless and refuse to admit a problem.

kwikbreaks
22-01-2012, 13:34
Wasn't it recently determined (in court somewhere) that jailbreaking isn't against the law?
Different situation. You buy an iPhone but the standard Apple software locks you into their iCrap© way of doing things. You don't buy a VM modem it is leased to you as part of the service along with several pages of legalese stopping you fiddling about with it.

qasdfdsaq
22-01-2012, 13:56
You can also lease an iPhone, buy it on contract, or otherwise not obtain full ownership of it, and pretty much all Apple products come with several pages of legalese stopping you fiddling about with it too - hence why they were sued.

Kymmy
22-01-2012, 14:02

I did not mention jailbreaking but advised any attempt to break through the firmware attempting to jailbreak the Superhub would be against the Terms and Conditions of their contract and if someone did then posted details it would be very quickly shut down.

How can you not mention something yet mention it.. :wtf:

I was just pointing out to people that CF are not VM, we use our own terms and conditions and not VM's terms and conditions, if we did then a lot more threads would be shut down

Peter_
22-01-2012, 14:04
How can you not mention something yet mention it.. :wtf:

I was just pointing out to people that CF are not VM, we use our own terms and conditions and not VM's terms and conditions
I was pointing out the legal implications of such an act as you were.

Kymmy
22-01-2012, 14:16
Unless someone uses jailbreaking to gain better services then there are no legal implications, it's a civil contract.. :rolleyes: All VM can do at that point is remove services and charge for the hub.. There's no reason for us to close down a thread unless there is a legal implication.. We are not VM's secret police..

Peter_
22-01-2012, 14:56
Unless someone uses jailbreaking to gain better services then there are no legal implications, it's a civil contract.. :rolleyes: All VM can do at that point is remove services and charge for the hub.. There's no reason for us to close down a thread unless there is a legal implication.. We are not VM's secret police..
No one has asked you to close a thread have they as the is no valid reason to do so, only advice given nothing more and if someone did jailbreak the Superhub and were stupid enough to post it on a public forum as they did last time then fully expect that loophole to be closed very quickly.;)

kwikbreaks
22-01-2012, 15:02
You can also lease an iPhone...I guess so. I don't see any legitimate need to jailbreak a VM modem. There was some justification for jailbreaking the Superhub as the router section was so crippled (and bug ridden to boot) but with modem mode now available to my mind that justification has gone - especially as the hardware is no great shakes either.

Skie
22-01-2012, 15:39
I can stream through my Superhub as can most people.

Well yes, because after their rapid patch to close the SSH access that broke streaming they released another patched it again to fix the streaming issues it had introduced. We all know how fantastic your superhub has been :dozey:

qasdfdsaq
22-01-2012, 16:12
I guess so. I don't see any legitimate need to jailbreak a VM modem. There was some justification for jailbreaking the Superhub as the router section was so crippled (and bug ridden to boot) but with modem mode now available to my mind that justification has gone - especially as the hardware is no great shakes either.
Well, that's given the assumption that losing 3 ports of the gigabit switch and wireless are a good thing. With a proper bridge mode (NOT modem mode), you'd be able to bridge the WAN through to your own router, and still use the wireless and gigabit switch, without suffering the inadequacies of the Superhub's routing engine.

Peter_
22-01-2012, 16:41
Well yes, because after their rapid patch to close the SSH access that broke streaming they released another patched it again to fix the streaming issues it had introduced. We all know how fantastic your superhub has been :dozey:
If it works as it has done for almost 12 months why would I complain as oddly the majority work in exactly the same way.

If mine had been a heap of junk then I would have posted about but that has not been the case, do remember that in the main only people with issues actually post on this type of forum.

hjf288
22-01-2012, 18:36
Get some solderless pins.. put them into the jtag header and get cracking :p

wouldnt surprise me if the pass was plaintext in nvram like some other routers

kwikbreaks
22-01-2012, 23:34
Before you can enter a password you need an open port to connect to and from what I can remember of the Superhub they closed off the standard telnet and ssh ports. VM can do stuff from the WAN side such as force new firmware but I'm not sure that much else at all is possible now.

kwikbreaks
23-01-2012, 08:36
Well, that's given the assumption that losing 3 ports of the gigabit switch and wireless are a good thing. With a proper bridge mode (NOT modem mode), you'd be able to bridge the WAN through to your own router, and still use the wireless and gigabit switch, without suffering the inadequacies of the Superhub's routing engine.Can you give any examples of a piece of domestic hardware (say ADSL) offering that sort of functionality? With sufficiently advanced firmware maybe the superhub could be converted to a matter transporter - but probably not - I think most will settle for the ability to bypass the feature poor and bug ridden routing and use their own choice of kit.

qasdfdsaq
23-01-2012, 09:58
The O2/Be Box does it - as do most Thomson based routers out there, which make up pretty much the majority of the DSL crowd.

Skie
23-01-2012, 10:11
We had an O2 hub in our office hooked up to a BT Business ADSL modem (1 ethernet port). O2 hub was flawless in acting as a router for the wired and wireless devices.

christopherw
21-03-2012, 16:05
The O2/Be Box does it - as do most Thomson based routers out there, which make up pretty much the majority of the DSL crowd.

Agreed - all of the Thomson TG585 units support bridge mode, I use it paired with a WRT54GL running Tomato. Awesome performance and stability, WAN IP pushed to the device on port 1 via DHCP - plus with a couple of iptables rules on the WRT54GL (not necessary for internet access, but a nice bonus) I can telnet into the box and access its web interface over its secondary 10.0.0.138 address.

I also run a half bridged ZyXEL P660R-D1 at work on TalkTalk Business (formerly Opal), again with a WRT54GL running Tomato. Slightly more complex CLI-based setup for the modem but it's a great little unit, just sits there and merrily runs.

About to get our 100 meg service installed here at the office... Taken almost two months to get it sorted out but we actually have both crews on site at the same time. Can't wait to start prodding the Superhub and see what it can actually do.

craigj2k12
21-03-2012, 18:14
About to get our 100 meg service installed here at the office... Taken almost two months to get it sorted out but we actually have both crews on site at the same time. Can't wait to start prodding the Superhub and see what it can actually do.

wont take you long then :D

General Maximus
21-03-2012, 18:36
i hope you are not infering that it wont take him long because the shub cant do anything :disturbd:

Paul
21-03-2012, 20:09
Well I joined the superhub world today, but for the moment I dont need all the functionality as Im happy with the D-Link router (that VM gave me for free) its all set-up as I want and been happily running for about 12 months, so Ive switched the s-hub to modem mode only - thats all I require of it for now.

General Maximus
21-03-2012, 20:17
wise choice dude, you have saved yourself a great deal pain. I'll give you a bit of advice from the heart; leave the shub in modem mode. If you ever have any probs with your router or need a new one for speed in the future then buy a new one (maybe a newer d-link?) which you know has got the same functionality as your existing one and you know you are going to be happy with.