PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroup File Problems

dave6x
21-01-2012, 12:53
For over a week now I have had a problem with binary files downloaded from Newsgroups at news.virginmedia.com.

I am using Grabit and have for years successfully downloaded binaries until about 7-10 days ago. Now although the files appear to download correctly in terms of amount of data downloaded the files in the folders are prematurely truncated at a few hundred KB. This is occurring on 2 different PCs with different OS's and different versions of Grabit. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are RAR archives, zipped files, etc., same problem is occurring.

Anyone know what's going on?

Xtinguish
21-01-2012, 17:31
Fine here using Newsbin.

djmagnifique
21-01-2012, 17:52
Fine for me too, i'm using Grabit as well. Have you tried reinstalling Grabit or checking all your settings are correct?

dave6x
21-01-2012, 21:06
Thanks for the replies guys, at least that confirms it's not a VM issue.

I've not tried reinstalling since it was happening on 2 different PCs, one is Win7 HP laptop running Grabit 1.7.2 Beta 6, the other is a Vista Business desktop PC running Grabit 1.7.2 Beta 3 therefore I'd assumed it may be something outside my systems. Grabit settings and preferences have not been changed on either PC.

I'll try re-installing and see what happens!

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

I think I discovered the problem, it seems that my Avast antivirus is causing the file truncation! Disabling Avast shields permits the files to download to the folder correctly, now I just need to sort out the Avast settings!

SnoopZ
21-01-2012, 21:19
On Avast click MAIL SHIELD, EXPERT OPTIONS and untick SCAN NEWSGROUP MESSAGES, that may not be related to your problem but i had to do that to get a much smoother download experience.

dave6x
21-01-2012, 21:33
On Avast click MAIL SHIELD, EXPERT OPTIONS and untick SCAN NEWSGROUP MESSAGES, that may not be related to your problem but i had to do that to get a much smoother download experience.

Hey SnoopZ thanks for that, it works a treat.

I did read about turning off NNTP scanning in the Avast Forums however they were saying that problem was fixed in the 1.7.xx versions but maybe a recent Avast update has changed the scanning parameters.

What I find strange is that I've been using Grabit with Avast since I changed to Avast for over 3 years and never had this problem before.

SnoopZ
21-01-2012, 21:42
You're welcome. :)

I had the choppy download problem on Newsgroups ever since i installed the latest Avast when it first came out a year or so ago.

Hope you get your problem sorted, test by downloading the same files and if the same files are always corrupt then the problem is the files and not your end.

dave6x
22-01-2012, 10:06
You're welcome. :)

I had the choppy download problem on Newsgroups ever since i installed the latest Avast when it first came out a year or so ago.

Hope you get your problem sorted, test by downloading the same files and if the same files are always corrupt then the problem is the files and not your end.

Both PCs running Grabit fine now, files downloading OK.

Must have been due to a recent Avast update as both PCs were affected at the same time, rather surprised I can't find any other reports of the same problem as surely I can't have been the only one affected!

Thanks again.