PDA

View Full Version : 100M 50mb to 100mb

Zombieuk
18-01-2012, 13:14
Just had the VM guy here just now, as im upgrading from the 50mb line to the 100mb line.

He was going to give me the SuperHub, but as soon as he saw i already had the VMNG300 and Netgear WNR 2000
He said what i had is better, and never swaped it over.

He also said i would only get about 54mb wireless?

Would i be getting Full speeds with what i already have?
(just done a quick speed test-
On main PC
Download was 60mb
upload was 9mb

ON Laptop
Download was 40mb
upload was 7mb)

Do i need to phone the guy back up and ask him to change me over to the SuperHub?
Thanks for any help.

BenMcr
18-01-2012, 13:20
He should have installed the SuperHub

qasdfdsaq
18-01-2012, 13:31
Hah!

Zombieuk
18-01-2012, 13:33
He should have installed the SuperHub

He did give me his number, Would it be best to phone him back up and get him to put in the superhub?

Cause the set up as it is, would that not give me the speeds, both wireless and cabled up?

Thanks you

BenMcr
18-01-2012, 13:35
The issue is that long term Virgin will be increasing the speed of 100Mbit to 120Mbit as well as using more downstream channels than the VMNG300 can handle (same for upstreams)

So you'll need the SuperHub at somepoint

The SuperHub has a modem mode you can use if you want to carry on using the router you have

Zombieuk
18-01-2012, 13:40
I have seen that VM will be upgrading the 100mb to the 120mb line, in my area within the next 2/3 months.
So just due to that fact, the VMNG300 wont do that sort of speeds, i will have to get him back to change them over.

Thanks.

qasdfdsaq
18-01-2012, 13:41
The VMNG300 can handle up to 200mb fine, VM just don't want to allow it.

Skie
18-01-2012, 16:32
Are those speed tests wireless? The superhub wouldnt be any better if they are.

Use a wired connection and you should see much better speeds, most likely the full 100meg.

Zombieuk
19-01-2012, 11:16
Have done some messing about, and what iv found so far is!

The VMNG300 modem pluged right into the main pc (and even my laptop) gave speeds of 97mb (and 104mb) download.
ITS ONLY WHEN the Netgear WNR 2000 Router is connected the speeds Drop!

Now the question is, should i go out and get my self a new Good Router, and keep the VMNG300, OR swap them both out and get the SuperHub?
Any help and information on that question would be a big help.

thanks
Z

BenMcr
19-01-2012, 11:41
Get the SuperHub

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 11:45
Don't get the SuperHub

Zombieuk
19-01-2012, 12:01
For what reasons are u say that plz guys?

What speed would the superhub give my laptop wireless?

MPH
19-01-2012, 12:04
I can see this turning into a bit of a pantomime situation but as I understand you will need the SuperHub to support addtional 4-8 channels being rolled outas part of Virgins upgrade plans. & to be frank despite an intial issue I have found the superhub pretty good.. If you have any problems run it in modem mode with your existing or new router. Either way it seems sooner or later you will be required to have a superhub..

Zombieuk
19-01-2012, 12:09
forgive me please for this question...
you have said(and iv seen it said in other parts of this forum) about "to support addtional 4-8 channels" is this sort of thing more for the Tech people? i used to think a mondem, was sent information, and then it sends that info to the router or right to the PC, and the speeds would be as fast as what the modem can do. i just have no clue about what these channels are used for?
Thanks

BenMcr
19-01-2012, 12:14
The 4-8 channels is how the modem talks to Virgin, rather than anything you need to do.

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 12:52
There's nothing wrong with your current setup.

In my opinion the Superhub is currently pointless and unnecessary. As a modem, it uses twice as much power as your current one, and is not needed for the service you are on. If/when it becomes absolutely necessary, or your service degrades as a result of not having one, VM should provide you with a replacement free of charge.

As a wireless router, many people have said the wireless on the Superhub is sub-par, and sometimes average. Your current router is already wireless-N and as good as the Superhub's wireless (barring lack of 5Ghz which is just about pointless on it anyway). It'll either perform about the same or worse, but is very unlikely to be better. You can get far better wireless performance by keeping your current modem and buying your own router. So again, no point getting the Superhub when the VMNG300 is a tried and tested, well regarded, reliable, and proven piece of equipment.

BenMcr
19-01-2012, 13:10
In my opinion the Superhub is currently pointless and unnecessaryAnd that is indeed your opinion

Virgin expect most people on 100Mbit to be on a SuperHub (apart from those they know about via the CEO office). They will also be offering a SuperHub to all those 50Mbit customers that get upgraded to 120Mbit

Personally I reckon that going forward any complaints about speed issues will require a SuperHub to be installed as part of the resolution

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 13:13
Yes, while it may certainly happen in future, to date I'm not aware of anyone having actually proven the VMNG300 to have caused any detriment to service as a result of its lack of 8-DS bonding.

(I've also not heard of anyone receiving a Superhub as a replacement for a VMNG300 as part of a resolution for a speed complaint actually having received any benefit. Several have however reported their connection performance getting worse)

Andrewcrawford23
19-01-2012, 13:49
vmng3000 can do about 150mb it wont do 200mb for now vmng3000 can support even 120mb when it gets the upgrade but the future on virign will be faster and to handle it you will need superhub, oh you wireless in thoery can do 300mb but most liekly will get between 50-150mb depends on how the adapter in yoru computer connects to it

Zombieuk
19-01-2012, 14:13
For a test i have just gone and got a Netgear N300 Wireless Router(Cost £29.99).

Speeds on the Main Pc that is connected up via cable, i now get about 90mbs.
On laptop which is connected Wireless i got 66mb.

Still have no idea on what to do?
If i keep this new router, and then have speed problems down the line, VM will just say i should be useing the SuperHub.

BenMcr
19-01-2012, 14:14
As I've said before, get the SuperHub and try it. If you get worse than either router you can put it into Modem Mode and then use whichever you get the best performance out of.

TAZMANUK
19-01-2012, 14:17
Yes, while it may certainly happen in future, to date I'm not aware of anyone having actually proven the VMNG300 to have caused any detriment to service as a result of its lack of 8-DS bonding.

(I've also not heard of anyone receiving a Superhub as a replacement for a VMNG300 as part of a resolution for a speed complaint actually having received any benefit. Several have however reported their connection performance getting worse)

You have now i had speed issues and had my vmng300 changed to superhub compared to my wnr2000v2 getting same speeds same wifi but ive put it in modem mode as got a new n900 router now to use

Chrysalis
19-01-2012, 14:30
haha I have chosen to keep the superhub over the vmng :)

VM staff happy?

This new superhub I got appears to have a lower affect on latency than my old one, could be down to changes how VM have configured the devices, could be the rev03 vs the rev01, I dont know but its running better than my original superhub did. Ultimately tho the vmng300 would not change the damn US channel and the one it was stuck on got very congested so I am now on the superhub and my vmng300 is deactivated (thenry).

However the way VM have put the vmng300 out to trash is wrong :( I am keeping mine as I may wish to switch back to it again in future.

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 14:40
You have now i had speed issues and had my vmng300 changed to superhub compared to my wnr2000v2 getting same speeds same wifi but ive put it in modem mode as got a new n900 router now to use
So you have no difference (and changed wireless router in the process) so how does that prove anything relevant?

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

haha i have chosen to keep the superhub over the vmng :)

vm staff happy?
traitor! Get back on board! ;)

Zombieuk
19-01-2012, 16:17
Have Now made up my mind on what i am doing now (god its taken me so long lol)

I have taken the router back and got my money back.
Will wait for the SuperHub to come, and will install it, IF i have any problems with it, I can then phone VM up and have a go.
Cause the Tests iv done today, with the New router and the VMHG300 does prove i can get some high speeds, via cable and wireless.
BUT if i ran into any problems down the line, VM wont help cause its my own router. So if im useing what they have given me, it can only be a problem with there equipment.

Thanks to everyone who has commented in here.

I will When the SuperHub comes, and its installed, come back to this thread, and give an update.

Skie
19-01-2012, 16:25
If you do have issues with the superhub VM's advice will either to send a replacement (wont fix anything range related) or to use modem mode and purchase your own competent router. They wont swap service back over to your VMNG300.

I'd get the hub but leave it in the box, then get a good router. If the VMNG300 eventually dies or degrades, you can just slap the superhub in, phone VM to activate it and then put it in modem mode. That way you can even keep all your network settings which would be a pain to move from a superhub to a router that works.

SnoopZ
19-01-2012, 16:27
haha I have chosen to keep the superhub over the vmng :)

VM staff happy?

This new superhub I got appears to have a lower affect on latency than my old one, could be down to changes how VM have configured the devices, could be the rev03 vs the rev01, I dont know but its running better than my original superhub did. Ultimately tho the vmng300 would not change the damn US channel and the one it was stuck on got very congested so I am now on the superhub and my vmng300 is deactivated (thenry).

However the way VM have put the vmng300 out to trash is wrong :( I am keeping mine as I may wish to switch back to it again in future.

I'd like to change my US channel ID which is currently on 2 to see if i can get 1 without congestion at peak times, how do i go about doing that?

Zombieuk
19-01-2012, 16:44
If you do have issues with the superhub VM's advice will either to send a replacement (wont fix anything range related) or to use modem mode and purchase your own competent router. They wont swap service back over to your VMNG300.

I'd get the hub but leave it in the box, then get a good router. If the VMNG300 eventually dies or degrades, you can just slap the superhub in, phone VM to activate it and then put it in modem mode. That way you can even keep all your network settings which would be a pain to move from a superhub to a router that works.

Iv just Taken back the Netgear N300 Wireless Router i just got, Mayb i should have kept it. as it was only 30 quid, and this one was cheaper then the low range one.....It wont look right me going back into the shop and getting it again, as i told them it made no difference to my set up, so i could get my money back.

BenMcr
19-01-2012, 16:47
To be honest the the SuperHub is Netgear and also N300 so may offer the same as the router you have just taken back

I know I keep saying this but try the SuperHub.

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 17:09
Course most Netgear "N300" (is that even a term?) routers have 4-8 internal antennas while the SuperHub only has 2.

Not saying this actually makes a difference - I haven't tested.

BenMcr
19-01-2012, 17:18
Course most Netgear "N300" (is that even a term?) routers have 4-8 internal antennas while the SuperHub only has 2.
WNR2000 only has one (http://www.wireless-reviews.com/routers/netgear-wnr2000-wireless-n-router-review) and WNR3500 has 8 or 3 (http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51/~/wnr3500-product-faqs) depending on the revision and 3500L has 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netgear_WNR3500L)

TAZMANUK
19-01-2012, 17:44
It proves theirs nothing wrong with the shub either as it is or modem mode as both hace same resukts weather in shub without or with router i only chose modem mode as i got n900 as has usb oirts to use buffalo hd

qasdfdsaq
19-01-2012, 19:13
WNR2000 only has one (http://www.wireless-reviews.com/routers/netgear-wnr2000-wireless-n-router-review) and WNR3500 has 8 or 3 (http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51/%7E/wnr3500-product-faqs) depending on the revision and 3500L has 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netgear_WNR3500L)
The WN2000 can't possibly have one, so those reviewers haven't a clue what they're on about (N300 requires a bare minimum of 2 ). N300 devices with one antenna do not exist.

Not sure what your point is though, listing two and a half examples - I could do the same. The WNDR3800 has 8, the WNDR3700 has 8, the WNDR3400 has 8, the DGND3700 has 8, the DGND3300 has 8, these are all dual-band gigabit routers - i.e. the same category as the Superhub.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

It proves theirs nothing wrong with the shub either as it is or modem mode as both hace same resukts weather in shub without or with router i only chose modem mode as i got n900 as has usb oirts to use buffalo hd
No, the only thing you've proven is that you can't tell the difference and haven't solved anything. Again, that's relevant how?

TAZMANUK
19-01-2012, 21:51
Get the wndr4500

BenMcr
19-01-2012, 22:00
Not sure what your point is though, listing two and a half examples - I could do the same. The WNDR3800 has 8, the WNDR3700 has 8, the WNDR3400 has 8, the DGND3700 has 8, the DGND3300 has 8, these are all dual-band gigabit routers - i.e. the same category as the Superhub.Except they are all concurrent dual band, so would need more.

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 00:06
Which is what most people think the Superhub should be but VM skimped out to save money. There are very few non-concurrent dual-band routers in existence, and the only way the Superhub managed it is by using an el-cheapo laptop wireless card instead of a proper AP setup.

Nevertheless, if you ignore half the number of antennas and those above routers would still have four per band. I even have a single-band 54G Netgear router with 8 antennas (and the wireless range on it is exceptional, thanks Ruckus) Mind you even non-concurrent dual band should have more than 2 as individual antennas will only be optimized for one frequency and perform poorly at any other.

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 03:04
I should add - concurrent dual band does not need more antennas. They have more because it's a good thing not because they need more. Take for example the DIR-825 (which happens to be my main router) - concurrent dual-band with only 2 antennas.

Having more antennas is a premium, performance improving feature of good routers, having less is a cost-cutting measure on cheap crappy devices. The Superhub has the bare minimum possible not because it needs less but because VM cut every corner they could to save costs. There's nothing about concurrent dual-band routers that makes them intrisically need more antennas.

Chrysalis
20-01-2012, 08:42
This is what I have said as well, its how good the antennas are, my AP has 3 and is extremely good wireless, my dir615 has 2 and is still quite good and significantly better than the superhub.

nstokes
20-01-2012, 08:58
Am i right in saying that 50 Meg is being upgraded to 120 Meg instead of 100 Meg?

SnoopZ
20-01-2012, 09:07
Am i right in saying that 50 Meg is being upgraded to 120 Meg instead of 100 Meg?

Yes

nstokes
20-01-2012, 09:25
Yes

thanks good news. I was just on the VM site (the site they tell you to go on the letter) and that still shows as going to 100 Meg but 100 Meg customers get a proce reduction and upto 120 Meg. Im on 50 Meg so cant wait for that to be upgraded to 120 Meg

Zombieuk
20-01-2012, 09:42

As far as I was told if u were on the 50mb line it would go to 100mb
And if already on the 100mb line you would then go to 120line

slowcoach
20-01-2012, 09:46
Got the SH installed yesterday, now on 100Mb, I set Modem Mode and coupled it up to my D-Link 655 and everything appears to be fine.

VM called with a reminder 2 days before the upgrade, I was down for the 8.00am – 1.00pm slot and the engineer phoned at 9.00am to say he was outside.
New config file was sent to the SH 10 minutes after the engineer left and then it was all systems go at the new speed.
I must say the reminder call gave me confidence that the engineer was actually going to show, not that I have ever experienced a no-show in the past, still it did give an impression of professionalism on the part of VM.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/39.png

nstokes
20-01-2012, 10:00
As far as I was told if u were on the 50mb line it would go to 100mb
And if already on the 100mb line you would then go to 120line

that was the case but VM made and error and told people that it would be upgraded to 120 so from waht i have read at other palces they are sticking to that, maybe a VM staff member can clarify?

BenMcr
20-01-2012, 10:06
See this post http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35363877-post1002.html

nstokes
20-01-2012, 10:18
so if im reading that right it 50 will go to 120 if its available in the area but if it isnt then iit will go to 100 then when it is available in are it will go to 120 is that correct?

BenMcr
20-01-2012, 10:20
Yes

nstokes
20-01-2012, 10:31
Thanks Ben :D

TAZMANUK
20-01-2012, 10:46
But have those against the superhub like i was at first i cant see anything wrong with it at first i thought it was causing issues with ps3 wireless but wired it was ok but turned out psn bottleneck psn.

I have done signal tests yes superhub is less compared to netgears wnr2000v2 and wndr4500 but have to bare in mind all are different bits of kit ie 4500 is dual band 2.5 and 5ghz where as wnr2000v2 aint.

All tests i did all got above 50 meg which im on all got this with supeehub on its own and in modem mode with wnr2000v2 and wndr4500.

Peeps need to mess about with the channels like i had too which sorted out the wifi.

Keep fiddling i had issues signal wise hence the tech visit plus modem was on its last legs so replaced with the shub the installer did say the wnr2000v2 was better wireless but each to their own.

My router is in front bedroom the shub next to it signal in living room room below i get -70db from wnr2000v2 i get -63db using wifi analyiser.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

End of the day get used to having or getting a suprrhub some peeps dont like change if u dont wanna hub downgrade is another option to keep the kit you have.

But if speeds get faster in years to come which they will their will be need for the suoerhub they might be a new one by then that will have the new 802.11a/c wifi which is a brand new and capable of 3.5GHZ i think dont quote me may have onboard storage like the new Wndr4700 out this summer with 2 tb of space no one knows

furure proof ur self to at least 400mb plus virgin cant win their giving us free yes free uplift getting free superhub where needed at the cost of them not us they dont have too we could just pay for it.

Zombieuk
20-01-2012, 16:33
Iv just got home and found a parcel from Virginmedia,
Thinking it was going to be the SuperHub!! BUT it was not it was just a "d-link wireless router dir-615"
After i was told he was sending a Superhub..... Am on phone with them now to see whats going on!!

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

What a joke!
"We are sorry we sent the wonr part out"

Well that dont help me does it, been told i have to wait yet again 3-5 days, before the Superhub is with me, even longer as its now going to be the weekend!

So all in all, im not happy with The guy that was meant to install the superhub when he came to my house, The Tech guy )who did spend 1 hour 40 Minutes on my pc trying to sort speed problem out) For failing to order the correct part!

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 17:04
New config file was sent to the SH 10 minutes after the engineer left and then it was all systems go at the new speed.
Jeez, isn't the point of the engineer to make sure everything is working before he leaves?

roughbeast
20-01-2012, 17:11
Jeez, isn't the point of the engineer to make sure everything is working before he leaves?

If the guy was an engineer. Most are delivery men with just about the skill needed to ring your mac and street address through to base.

That is all mine did. He left before I was properly set up.

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 17:47
Which brings me back to wondering why VM want to force them on us to begin with.

Zombieuk
20-01-2012, 17:59
Which brings me back to wondering why VM want to force them on us to begin with.

Im 100% with u there, seeing as they ment to be sending me one, and all i need to do is connect it up, then phone them, to connect up....

Its a fast way for them to make 49.99

DaMac
20-01-2012, 18:24
See this post http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35363877-post1002.html

So with that in mind Ben, is their a chance my speed could be doubled to 100 mb next month, then increased to 120mb in october i think my area is?? and if so should i ring up for the super hub, or will they contact me?

BenMcr
20-01-2012, 18:41
www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed (http://www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed) will tell you when your speed will be increased. If you need new kit as part of that then Virgin will contact you

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Its a fast way for them to make 49.99Currently everyone gets free install on 50Mbit and 100Mbit. You have to pay the £30 activation, but would be the same whether you did it yourself or not

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 18:50
Currently everyone gets free install on 50Mbit and 100Mbit. You have to pay the £30 activation, but would be the same whether you did it yourself or not
I guess you're using VM's fairly loose (read: false) definition of Everyone* then.

* Not everyone

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3429/vminstallm.png

DaMac
20-01-2012, 18:52
If i go to fill in the upgrade online it definatley says the cost will be £49.95 for engineer install.. it makes no mention of it being free (or £30)

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

That guy got a screen dump up whilst i was writing... LOL

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 18:55
That guy has a name you know, even if you can't pronounce it...

[Edit]

And just to prove the £30 activation fee (which only applies to 100mb, not 50) and £49.95 engineer fee are not one and the same:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5015/vminstall2.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/vminstall2.png/)

DaMac
20-01-2012, 18:59
This is the screen i get...

DaMac
20-01-2012, 19:01
That guy has a name you know, even if you can't pronounce it...

Errr chill out a bit i think. :erm:

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 19:02
I'm so chill you could freeze a fried egg on my forehead.

BenMcr
20-01-2012, 19:04
I guess you're using VM's fairly loose (read: false) definition of Everyone* then.

* Not everyoneSorry my fault, meant everyone who has a phoneline - as per http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-100mb.html

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

This is the screen i get...
23029Hmm. I'll raise that on Monday as it shoud be free, as it says on the previous page

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 19:10
Sorry my fault, meant everyone who has a phoneline - as per http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-100mb.html

Closer, but not quite:

£49.95 installation fee applies to Broadband, TV or Phone when purchased on its own, or if not purchasing online.

Hmm. I'll raise that on Monday as it shoud be free, as it says on the previous page
It's correct, he didn't select a phone line.

BenMcr
20-01-2012, 19:41
It's correct, he didn't select a phone line.You can't on that form. It's the one from this page http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

qasdfdsaq
20-01-2012, 19:51
Ah my bad.

Indeed, from that page for me the results say £30 activation on 30mb, no activation or install fee on 50mb, £49.95 installation but no activation on 100mb. That's before entering any information that'd allow it to tell if I had a phone line or not.

Zombieuk
24-01-2012, 15:40
Latest bit of info....

I now have the super hub installed.

The main PC that is wired, is now Getting the FULL 100mb.
BUT
over wireless,
my laptop is still only getting 40mb.....

I have the very same settings as a friend of mine, and hes just shown me a screen shot of him getting 93mb wireless on his laptop.....

we both have 802.11 b/g/n network adapter

Any ideas plz?

BenMcr
24-01-2012, 15:53
Is it the same adapter and do you have the same drivers installed

thenry
24-01-2012, 15:58
has your friend changed his wireless channel manually? if so have you after scanning your area with a wifi scanner to see which scanners are not in use

Zombieuk
24-01-2012, 16:07
we both on Auto

thenry
24-01-2012, 16:25
download and run this on your laptop inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) let it scan for all networks within reach of you and note which channel number each uses.. then set your SH to use a channel that isn't in use.

you don't really need to do this after buy trying wont hurt.. disconnect from the SH, reboot your SH then reboot and connect again.. then test ?

www.speednet.net

try the Manchester server as well

Zombieuk
24-01-2012, 17:18
I have now tryed 5 different channels, and none of them gave any real difference. So for now iv set it back to Auto.

Mayb i should have kept the old modem, and got a new router.
(cause when i tested a new router with old modem last week it gave me about 66mb wireless on my laptop)

Am open for more ideas to test if anyone has any.

Thanks

thenry
24-01-2012, 17:28
put the SuperHub into modem mode and link up a decent router

Zombieuk
24-01-2012, 17:59
put the SuperHub into modem mode and link up a decent router

The idea was to hope Virgin Media could give people something they can use, with out people having to go buy extra bits.

TBH, was already looking at a router, which costs about £99. BUT right now i dont have any extra money :(

BenMcr
24-01-2012, 18:40
Am open for more ideas to test if anyone has any.

ThanksWhat adapter are you using

qasdfdsaq
24-01-2012, 18:50
Don't get the SuperHub
Who told you so?

Zombieuk
24-01-2012, 18:58
The built in one on my laptop

802.11 b/g/n

I only got my laptop in Nov,

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Who told you so?
you did say, but its not made it any worse, wireless is teh same, but connected up via cable its faster.

BenMcr
24-01-2012, 19:00
The built in one on my laptop

802.11 b/g/n

I only got my laptop in Nov,As a 50/100Mbit customer you should have been given a USB Wireless adapter by Virgin, have you tried that

qasdfdsaq
24-01-2012, 19:04
you did say, but its not made it any worse, wireless is teh same, but connected up via cable its faster.
But you just said it went from 66mb down to 40mb. That's... worse.

P.S. The USB wireless adapter is worse than most built-in laptop ones - unless you have an exceptionally bad laptop, it will make it even worse.

Zombieuk
24-01-2012, 20:18
As a 50/100Mbit customer you should have been given a USB Wireless adapter by Virgin, have you tried that

No i was not given one of these.
Dont tell me this is yet another things Virginmedia have messed up on?
Also my firend has a Super hub, and he uses his Built in laptop Adapter and he can get 93mb wireless?

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

P.S. The USB wireless adapter is worse than most built-in laptop ones - unless you have an exceptionally bad laptop, it will make it even worse.
That was last week when i tested a New router with the old modem.
Have taken that Router back, cause really we should not have to pay out more money to do something that already should work.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Another Phone call To Virgin media, this time for 40 mins.

Our speeds have dropped.....
(From last speedtest)
Main PC getting just 56mb
Laptop (wireless) Getting 32mb
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/32.png
he guy told me on the phone i should go buy a router!!! I was not having that so told him, Ishould not be paying for something IF i have to go buy something eles. i want the max out of it.
He also told me I should have kept my OLD setup, He is sending me our yet another Superhub, He checked out line, and said they was not problem on there and dont no Y we were getting the slow speed.
1 thing that did bug me big time, it was costing people £49.99 for Virgin to come to the house to install this super hub, AND this guy on teh phone says to me, its only changing a few wires!! so i asked him if that was the case Y was it cosing £49.99 for virgin to do this??

I even asked him to take this as a complate, and he said if he takes the complte all that will happen is it will get noted onto our account!!
Is he taking the micky out of me?

Mick Fisher
24-01-2012, 20:39
The wireless range on the shub is ghastly. In the next room (about 8ft away) alls well but go into the Kitchen ( a small hall between, about 25 ft away) and the lappie or iPad is down to 1 bar. Nothing at all in the adjoining utility room ( about 30ft and 3 brick walls away)

craigj2k12
24-01-2012, 21:12

i got a netgear one which is actually quite good, despite the crappy software

Zombieuk
25-01-2012, 10:48
More testing....
Just connected up the D-Link DIR-615 Router (this is what Virgin media sent me end of last week instead of the super hub)
And guess what, Speeds over wireless was so much better. The last speed test iv just done on laptop(wireless) was 64mb
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/31.png
And on Main PC last test was 87mb.

Still not happy tho, as just b4 i tryed this router, the main PC was getting 104mb..... but i do think that is down to teh LAN post only being 10/100

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Yet another phone call to Virgin media.
Now been told, my problem is due to a poor signal getting into the SuperHub, so now they sending a guy out to see if he can fix the problem....