PDA

View Full Version : NNTP Ports - Which are throttled?

NiteFly
18-01-2012, 11:35
Hi, I know that P2P and NNTP Traffic is Managed at certain times, but can someone tell me what specific Ports are targeted ? I am unable to find this information anywhere.

Many Thanks

gobbledigook
18-01-2012, 15:37
Hi, I know that P2P and NNTP Traffic is Managed at certain times, but can someone tell me what specific Ports are targeted ? I am unable to find this information anywhere.

Many Thanks

i think you are confusing traffic management and traffic shaping

all traffic is managed as per the VM traffic management policy. from what i understand high bandwidth users may also be shaped outside of these times to easy network congestion.

I don't torrent but i do use newsgroups and i use the default 119 port with ssl, i can't say i've ever noticed traffic shaping regularly, but i have noticed my downloads being throttled on one or two occasions, but not disruptively so, and only when i've been downloading inside the 'peak' hours. 99.999999% of my usage is overnight :)

When using torrents beware of the upload... it causes most speed problems. keep it well below your bandwidths upload, or at the lowest you can. the more upload you have the more of your own bandwidth you are killing.

wayned123
18-01-2012, 17:06
i think you are confusing traffic management and traffic shaping

all traffic is managed as per the VM traffic management policy. from what i understand high bandwidth users may also be shaped outside of these times to easy network congestion.

I don't torrent but i do use newsgroups and i use the default 119 port with ssl, i can't say i've ever noticed traffic shaping regularly, but i have noticed my downloads being throttled on one or two occasions, but not disruptively so, and only when i've been downloading inside the 'peak' hours. 99.999999% of my usage is overnight :)

When using torrents beware of the upload... it causes most speed problems. keep it well below your bandwidths upload, or at the lowest you can. the more upload you have the more of your own bandwidth you are killing.

i agree newsgroups is the better option

NiteFly
18-01-2012, 17:40
Sorry, what I meant was, on the 100Mb Plan it states Traffic Management operates from 4pm to 9pm and 10am to 3pm to ensure a consistent user experience . Customers with Broadband size: 100 (100Mb) – your usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) is unaffected. This ONLY applies to P2P and NNTP Traffic. So my question was/is, how do they differentiate between HTTP Traffic and NNTP Traffic? My guess is that it is Port based, in which case, what Ports are throttled for Usenet access ?

qasdfdsaq
18-01-2012, 18:25
A combination of DPI, port based, and whitelisting. VM will probably never admit or reveal what exactly they use.

NiteFly
18-01-2012, 18:43
Thats what I thought. Although with SSL I would of thought DPI was redundant, unless they know something we don't ;) Is there any Official Press Statements or Data Sheets on this subject? I don't know why I have such an interest, but when I get on one I almost always have to find a definitive answer. Many Thanks

General Maximus
18-01-2012, 19:00
although I have found the speeds better on 100mbit (over 1mb instead of 200k) I still find newsgroups and torrents annoying slow in the evening due to shaping they have got in place. Tbh though, like many other peeps, I make sure I do all my downloading in the morning or leave it going over night.