PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking SuperHub

ultimate
15-01-2012, 19:13
If I were to upgrade my speed from 20mb, I need to use Superhub, I have put off upgrading because of the reputation of this hub. Now may be I want to face my fears. At the moment I have a VM Modem 255, and a Linksys router.

What I want to ask here are these:

1. Do I need to worry about the newest version of Superhub.
2. If I have to tweak it, is there a definitive guide I can use?
3. I have a Linksys WRT54G router, if I were to use the Superhub as modem only, what is the maximum speed this router can handle? If I have to get a new router, what is your recommendation?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sirius
15-01-2012, 19:16
If I were to upgrade my speed from 20mb, I need to use Superhub, I have put off upgrading because of the reputation of this hub. Now may be I want to face my fears. At the moment I have a VM Modem 255, and a Linksys router.

3. I have a Linksys WRT54G router, if I were to use the Superhub as modem only, what is the maximum speed this router can handle? If I have to get a new router, what is your recommendation?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I am using the shub in modem mode so it works just like a modem.

Kymmy
15-01-2012, 19:25
Theoretically the router you have could never run more than 54Mb on wifi (but 100Mb on wired) so if used with the SH in modem mode that may restrict you on the top package.. (or even restrict the 50Mb using wifi)

thenry
15-01-2012, 20:13

The SuperHubs fine....

no.

yes. you've also got us to aid you using our own words.

put that router away for a rainy day :erm: cheap option, a d link 615.. a high end option..

TP Link WR2843ND - not yet released but a beast! should be released this year sometime, hopefully early summer time.

Linksys E4200 v2 - if you can get hold of it :D

ASUS RT-N56U - decent

Netgear and D Link have high end products too

ultimate
15-01-2012, 20:42
Thanks guys, very much appreciated!!

qasdfdsaq
15-01-2012, 20:49
The WRT54G will be fine for up to 20mb but get a little strained at 30mb. It'll have very poor performance at 50mb or above.

The DIR-615 as above is OK up to 100mb but not more - 100mb only ports after all, but incredible value for money at £10 off Ebay.

But yes, far as the Superhub goes, turn off all the "Super" and "hub" functionality and you're left with a standalone modem that sucks twice as much power as it needs to but otherwise doesn't have too many issues.

hjf288
15-01-2012, 21:53
Linksys E2000 is cheap, fast and reliable esp with tomato.. I use it with my superhub

ultimate
16-01-2012, 11:24
What is tomato?

cookdn
16-01-2012, 11:54
What is tomato?

It is an alternative customised firmware for some Broadcom based routers based on the Linux kernel and the open-source Linksys WRT54GL source code.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Best regards
David

qasdfdsaq
16-01-2012, 16:57
What is tomato?
Is it a fruit or a vegetable?

AndyCalling
16-01-2012, 21:04
Or...

You could get a Shub and run it in 300meg mode at 5Ghz for your laptops with dongles (running on a 40Mhz channel at 2.4Ghz, ie. for 300meg mode, is poor form with neighbours sharing the spectrum). Then connect your old router to it as a wireless access point to connect all your old 2.4Ghz 'G' devices through. You can also 'ninja link' your netbooks/laptops with 2.4Ghz cards in them to the 'G' router when you just need to browse the web, and stick in your 300meg 5Ghz dongle to do the heavy stuff.

With no more cost than the Shub will be costing you anyway, you can have your cake and eat it. Yum!

thenry
16-01-2012, 21:13
Andy your a wifi asbo, forget thug.

AndyCalling
16-01-2012, 21:22
Andy your a wifi asbo, forget thug.

I do love homebrew mash-ups...

:)~

deed02392
17-01-2012, 19:34
Linksys E2000 is cheap, fast and reliable esp with tomato.. I use it with my superhub

It doesn't say you can run Tomato on the E2000... how did you know it would? I want a new router to replace the VM allegedly-but-not-at-all-Superhub and was looking at a second hand Buffalo one.

My min requirements are MIMO 300N and Gigabit ports all around.

AndyCalling
17-01-2012, 19:43
If I were you I would start out by asking yourself what you want to do that the Superhub doesn't do, and work out the best solution from there.

As I indicated in my last-but-one post in this thread, if it's dual band you want you can do that without spending an extra penny.

If you need some other function then make sure you know what you're looking for before plumping for the most popular suggestion.

hjf288
18-01-2012, 00:40
It doesn't say you can run Tomato on the E2000... how did you know it would? I want a new router to replace the VM allegedly-but-not-at-all-Superhub and was looking at a second hand Buffalo one.

My min requirements are MIMO 300N and Gigabit ports all around.

Because I'm running Tomato on an E2000....

dbateman2k5
18-01-2012, 02:01
Do Tomato work on Linksys WRT160N, as it looks easier to install than DD-WRT ?

adduxi
18-01-2012, 08:11
I'm using an ASUS RT-N16 with TomatoUSB installed. http://tomatousb.org/
Works very well, and gives me lots of reporting facilities which I like :-)

General Maximus
18-01-2012, 08:56
I used to have the WRT54G when I was 20mbit dude and had to say goodbye when I moved up to 50mbit a couple of years ago, I think it maxed out for me at something like 25mbit. At the time I got the wrt150N which handled 50mbit no probs so you could try getting something like that second hand or in terms of future proofing you could probably do with a more up to date router with gigabit ports. I had to replace my 150N with a new one just before Christmas when I moved up to 100mbit. I have got the E3000 atm and it really is good. Interface wise it looks just the same as the wrt54g but with some more up to date options like supporting the latest wireless encryption standards and stuff like that. It is everything you had before but better and faster. Some people dont see the point of dual band but in my house it has gone down a treat with excellent signal strength. If it is something you would consider you defo want to be looking at the E3000 or 3200, otherwise the 2000 will be fine.

Stay with linksys, you know they are great, and only use the shub in modem mode.

deed02392
18-01-2012, 09:05
If I were you I would start out by asking yourself what you want to do that the Superhub doesn't do, and work out the best solution from there.

As I indicated in my last-but-one post in this thread, if it's dual band you want you can do that without spending an extra penny.

If you need some other function then make sure you know what you're looking for before plumping for the most popular suggestion.

Thanks. I am well aware I can daisy chain access points to support multiple devices. What I want is the ability to graph and log bw usage, dump traffic on the router to a cifs mount and change my DNS servers handed out over dhcp. Oh, and I want to run dnsmasq to resolve local ips on my lan. All things the much older wrt54g is enabled to do with Tomato, thus why I jumped at the sight of a fancy new linksys running Tomato.

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

Because I'm running Tomato on an E2000....

I asked 'how did you know it WOULD'., not how do you know it works.

Kymmy
18-01-2012, 09:08
Probably because it's listed on the tomatousb download page

http://tomatousb.org/download

Kernel 2.6 (experimental) for MIPSR2 Routers

Ext
VPN
NoUSB Std
NoUSB VPN
NoUSB Mini (for supported Netgear routers: from OEM firmware flash to DD-WRT first, and then to this build)
E3000 Ext (for Linksys E3000 ONLY!)
E3000 VPN (for Linksys E3000 ONLY!)
E2000 Std (no USB support, for Linksys E2000 ONLY!)
E2000 VPN (no USB support, for Linksys E2000 ONLY!)

deed02392
18-01-2012, 09:11
Do Tomato work on Linksys WRT160N, as it looks easier to install than DD-WRT ?

Tomato is much better than ddwrt. Hopefully the guy above will indulge us with a compatibility list he has found / compiled, or at the very least tell us which specific version he has to allow us to try the same

Kymmy
18-01-2012, 09:15
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-386946

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

Also full compatibility table

http://tomatousb.org/doc:build-types

You guys ever thought of using google??? :rolleyes:

General Maximus
18-01-2012, 09:16
thus why I jumped at the sight of a fancy new linksys running Tomato

good for you dude. Afaik I don't think the shub allows you to manually input dns servers. Somebody had a problem with the virgin ones before xmas and I am sure he said there was no support for dns configuration on the shub.

hjf288
18-01-2012, 11:19
Thanks. I am well aware I can daisy chain access points to support multiple devices. What I want is the ability to graph and log bw usage, dump traffic on the router to a cifs mount and change my DNS servers handed out over dhcp. Oh, and I want to run dnsmasq to resolve local ips on my lan. All things the much older wrt54g is enabled to do with Tomato, thus why I jumped at the sight of a fancy new linksys running Tomato.

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

I asked 'how did you know it WOULD'., not how do you know it works.

Same question as far as im concerned i know it wouldrun because im running it.. afaik there are no new hardware revisions.. id ask a more specific question in the future if you want details

deed02392
18-01-2012, 17:21
Same question as far as im concerned i know it wouldrun because im running it.. afaik there are no new hardware revisions.. id ask a more specific question in the future if you want details

If that is your genuine interpretation of what I asked I suggest you take some lessons in language.