PDA

View Full Version : 30M Virgin media 30mb upgrade

Watchdabirdie
15-01-2012, 15:59
Hi

Just had 2 infuriating conversations with virgin media. I am currently on 10 mb broadband after having been on 50mb ( had to downgrade due to finances).
I now wish to upgrade to 30mb which I can do for free for 3 months and then £5 extra a month. Sounds good to me.

1st conversation goes - you will need to have the super hub and pay £30 for the privilege. I tell them the equipment I have is already capable of 30mb. She then tries to pass me to technical and I get cut off after 20 minutes of waiting.

So I ring again.

I explain what happened and she confirms the same deal and agrees the equipment I already have is capable.

But

I still have to have the super hub and pay £30.

Why???

I have always had good service from ntl/virgin but this sort of thing makes me want to pull my hair out.

Anyone please help me keeping my existing equipment and able to get the upgrade.

Regards

Lee

v0id
15-01-2012, 16:08
The equipment isn free, the £30 is an activation charge ;)

Activation charges are Virgimedia's cashcow

Gavin78
15-01-2012, 20:28
So let me understand this I was on 50mb with the netgear router virgin supplied and I downgraded last week due to my wife losing her job to save money.

If I were to upgrade back to 50mb I would have to pay an activation fee and have a superhub?

thenry
15-01-2012, 20:35
what equipment have you got? the stand alone VMNG300 modem?

qasdfdsaq
15-01-2012, 20:52
30mb has the activation fee, 50mb does not (or didn't last I checked)

thenry
15-01-2012, 20:59
30/50/100 has the activation fee now qas...

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

qasdfdsaq
15-01-2012, 21:05
Damn, my bad. That's pretty lame then, £30 fee to click a button and send a config file...

Big-Ted
15-01-2012, 22:00
I phoned up yesterday and dropped tivo service due to lack of use and upgraded to 50meg from 30.

I already had a modem from before when on 50 meg, I asked them if they could drop the charge as it was already configured from before. They stopped my tv, upgraded my broadband in approx 2 minutes from agreement, also stopped my contract early by dropping to basic tv and keeping phone so no 30 day needed either.

So I had an early end to service without penalty and upgrade in broadband and saved £'s just by asking. If they can do it for me they should be able to drop the £30 for anyone who had 50 meg before.

v0id
15-01-2012, 23:56
There was no early termination fee because you didn't end any services, you 'downgraded' your TV. ;)

As someone has said in another thread, (Masque? / BenMcr?) you can get lucky with not paying the fee if a CS rep is they're not doing their job properly (or maybe they're in the Liverpool callcentre and don't give a toss since they're losing their jobs anyway)

Watchdabirdie
16-01-2012, 06:05
what equipment have you got? the stand alone VMNG300 modem?

That's right. I've got the VMNG300 modem and net gear router as previously used for my 50mb connection.

Peter_
16-01-2012, 07:09
There was no early termination fee because you didn't end any services, you 'downgraded' your TV. ;)

As someone has said in another thread, (Masque? / BenMcr?) you can get lucky with not paying the fee if a CS rep is they're not doing their job properly (or maybe they're in the Liverpool callcentre and don't give a toss since they're losing their jobs anyway)
They may get lucky but they are not in Liverpool as we are just a technical centre, they may get Sheffield, Teeside or even Airdrie if I got the centres right.;)

---------- Post added at 07:09 ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 ----------

That's right. I've got the VMNG300 modem and net gear router as previously used for my 50mb connection.
They should allow you to use your VMNG300 on 30Mb but sooner or later you will need a Superhub which you can use in Modem Mode with your router.

Big-Ted
16-01-2012, 16:40

I had a tv with 12 month contract due to end at the start of March so was early termination.........

Plus it was cancellation department not CS

Nopanic
17-01-2012, 07:13
All companies charge admin fees .. my bank charged me £25 to remove my over draft ..