PDA

View Full Version : Two Coax cables, one not terminated. Are they both "active"?

JoeA
12-01-2012, 20:27
Hello,

I used to have VM about 5 years ago in a different house. The set up there was two separate coax cables running up to the house, one going to the TV box downstairs, and one going upstairs which we connected to the modem for internet access.

I dont currently subscribe to VM, but I live in a house which has been cabled for VM, and has two separate coax cables running up to the house, but they have only connected one, which goes through the wall downstairs and is terminated on the inside wall by the TV. The second cable is just a small coil with bare ends on the outside wall.

Ideally I would like to get the second unused coax cable up the side of the house and going into the bedroom where the computer is located, and I am more than happy to do this extension myself.

My question is, if I were to only get internet access (no TV) through VM, would they send the signal down both coax cables, or just one? Or does that fact that one cable is not connected mean that it would need to be "initialised" in some way, and so would not work anyway if I tired to extend it myself?

If both cables are "active" and just require the modem to be connected to either one of them, is there anything else I should know before trying to extent this second bare-ended coax cable?

I'm trying to avoid having to pay an installation fee, as you only seem to get "free" installation when you buy a package of products, and I only want internet.

Plus as I already have one terminated cable coming into my house, I imagine Virgin think that I dont require any installation. As far as they are concerned Im already connected and they just need to flip the switch.

But as there is this second unterminated co-ax cable outside my house, I thought this might be a good way to get the internet cable into the room I want.

Cheers for any advice

jb66
12-01-2012, 20:44
It's up to the installer, he's only obliged to activate one cable for the modem. All you can do is ask

CambsTech
12-01-2012, 22:08
Hi Joe,

If you insist that the broadband needs to be in the office hardwired to the PC then the installer will put it there.

JoeA
13-01-2012, 09:30
OK....but what if I dont use an installer.

What if I just sign up to internet access with VM using the single coax connection that is already wired in to my front room, so they dont need to send an installer. And they just send me the modem through the post for me to plug into the wall socket.

Obviously if I plug the modem into this coax cable it will work. But if I put an f type connector on the end of the other cable and plugged in the modem, what would happen? Would it work?

Teaker
13-01-2012, 15:20
NO they are not both ''active'' coax cables

The cable that virgin use has two cables joined together by pvc, this makes it easier for them to install. One cable is for telephone the other is the coax.

If you HAVE got two coax cables coming up to you house its likely that the unterminated one has been damaged in some way making it unuseable and the previous occupants of your house had a new one installed.

Even if you installed the cable yourself its likely you would still be charged a small installation fee as they would still need to send someone to install (activate) the modem.

The danger also with some companys is that if you install it yourself, and there is a fault which requires an engineer to fix it, some will charge.

JoeA
13-01-2012, 16:19
Ah I see, that does make sense. But Im sure I've seen my neighbours cables going up their drives (in the crappy green plastic cable trunking), and they all seem to have two coax cables too... This required more investigation. Thanks.

jb66
13-01-2012, 19:28
The two cables are called Siamese cake, one half is telco and the other is dtv /bb

satellite-man
08-02-2012, 21:43
Hello,

I used to have VM about 5 years ago in a different house. The set up there was two separate coax cables running up to the house, one going to the TV box downstairs, and one going upstairs which we connected to the modem for internet access.

I dont currently subscribe to VM, but I live in a house which has been cabled for VM, and has two separate coax cables running up to the house, but they have only connected one, which goes through the wall downstairs and is terminated on the inside wall by the TV. The second cable is just a small coil with bare ends on the outside wall.

Ideally I would like to get the second unused coax cable up the side of the house and going into the bedroom where the computer is located, and I am more than happy to do this extension myself.

My question is, if I were to only get internet access (no TV) through VM, would they send the signal down both coax cables, or just one? Or does that fact that one cable is not connected mean that it would need to be "initialised" in some way, and so would not work anyway if I tired to extend it myself?

If both cables are "active" and just require the modem to be connected to either one of them, is there anything else I should know before trying to extent this second bare-ended coax cable?

I'm trying to avoid having to pay an installation fee, as you only seem to get "free" installation when you buy a package of products, and I only want internet.

Plus as I already have one terminated cable coming into my house, I imagine Virgin think that I dont require any installation. As far as they are concerned Im already connected and they just need to flip the switch.

But as there is this second unterminated co-ax cable outside my house, I thought this might be a good way to get the internet cable into the room I want.

Cheers for any advice

no if you only have internet they should only leave you with one cable, why do you cant two anyways ?