PDA

View Full Version : Broadband M (up to 10Mb) to Broadband L (10Mb) upgrade?

Swampie
11-01-2012, 16:13
I currently have (only service from VM) Broadband M (up to 10Mb) and if I select the Broadband L (10Mb) option in the "Change my package" option, I get the Virgin Media Hub added automatically, yet no Fees appear related to having the Hub (which apparently is normally £60).

Is this an automatic 'entitlement' for switching to from Broadband M to L or some quirk of the online system which won't happen if I phoned up and made the change?

I ask this because I've picked up a 'free 1TB TiVo pack' from PC World for £24.99 (refunded when you use it), which should save me £49.95 off a 1TB TiVo but you have to phone up to make the changes - but if I lose the 'free' Hub worth £60, then I'll probably be £10 worse off! I guess I could just do the changes in stages?

Thanks

BenMcr
11-01-2012, 16:14
It's a quirk of the online system as far as I can see based on your description

Generally Virgin don't allow customer on M to upgrade to L, the upgrade option would be to go up to XL.

thenry
11-01-2012, 16:24
even if its possible its pointless. if your going to upgrade make sure you get the SuperHub, minimum BB package is XL 30Mb as Ben said above.

future proof yourself with whats ahead > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33684528-virgin-media-to-double-broadband-speed.html

Swampie
11-01-2012, 16:30
Okay, thanks for the information. What exactly are the differences between Broadband M and L? They appear to be the same price (and if I can get a free Hub through switching so much the better).

Can you see any issue with doing the following steps:

1.) Switch from M to L online (hopefully getting new combined Hub, which I expect would be posted?)
2.) Then phone up and request TiVo and phone line which would require engineer visit?

I'm just not sure whether you can do multiple changes within a month etc?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

even if its possible its pointless. if your going to upgrade make sure you get the SuperHub, minimum BB package is XL 30Mb as Ben said above.

future proof yourself with whats ahead > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33684528-virgin-media-to-double-broadband-speed.html

If I had to pay £60 for the Hub, then I'd go for the £75 Super Hub as I wouldn't want to have to pay again. However, if I can get the Hub for free, then I'll go for that. I'm not going to pay for more than the base speeds (10Mb does me fine) and the Hub will be suitable for well over 20Mb anyway. If they ever upgrade me (for free) to speeds not supported by the Hub, then I'll get the required kit free.

I certainly don't want (or need) Broadband XL.

BenMcr
11-01-2012, 16:32
It's up to you if you want to try, but again I don't think you'll get a SuperHub for free by doing 1)

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

If I had to pay £60 for the Hub, then I'd go for the £75 Super Hub as I wouldn't want to have to pay againThe Hub isn't supplied anymore, so not sure why it's still on the site.

thenry
11-01-2012, 16:35
the SH is 30£ XL package, well worth it imo but thats your choice.

10Mb M-L > traffic management. whats your upload speed right now?

www.speedtest.net

this is strange, i thought all this was taken down?