PDA

View Full Version : New Panasonic TV with built in Freeview HD cannot find channels

Nailaddict
06-01-2012, 20:26
Hi, I'm new here and have spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how I can get my new Panasonic TV to find channels with an ordinary aerial from the wall. I have been using virgin cable box for about the last 8 years but as we had to buy a new TV I thought I might as well just use Freeview services. I've worked out that it probably has something to do with the aerial I'm using in the lounge, as 2 of my daughters have freeview boxes connected to the rooftop aerial in their bedrooms and are both okay. I've tried one of these systems with the aerial I'm trying to connect to my new TV, and I couldn't get a signal. The aerial I'm using is the original in the house (1981). I took it to Maplins this morning and they said it could be because we had 2 other tvs connected although only 1 is being used, or the rooftop aerial, or the wall aerial socket, but thought the aerial I was trying to use was ok. Should I just give up and reconnect my Virgin box (which I'm not quite sure how to do yet!)? Or can anyone give me any other advice? Thanks in advance if you can help. I am blonde and I do nails so please nothing too technical!!:) Thanks everyone.

raging bull
06-01-2012, 20:48
Without being connected to a virgin digital box, your TV can select between analogue (switched off) or digital (freeview) signals.
Your digital signal (DVB) is selected by pressing TV button on/off.
Your virgin digital signal is selected by pressing AV button (drop down menu will appear showing top AV1 use if using scart lead, or HDMI if using HDMI lead)
All the above are shown in instruction book, have mine available to respond to questions you may ask?

Scrubbs
06-01-2012, 21:10
have you got two different aerials?
If you have, connect the new tv to the aerial you know works ie the one your daughter is connected to and see how you get on.

Nailaddict
06-01-2012, 22:40
Thanks for replying guys.
Raging Bull: ~When I bought the TV I was hoping to cancel Virgin TV services and use the built in Freeview HD facility. I was just going to connect the cable box back to check the new TV is working and have no success getting channels on the Freeview HD built in.

Scrubbs: No, I have 1 rooftop aerial which originally connected to the aerial wall socket in the downstairs lounge. Never had any problems with connection but that was before the change to digital. Plus we have been using Virgin TV for about 8 or more years, so didn't need it. Over the last few years 2 TVs have been added to the original aerial, 1 each in my daughters bedrooms with a separate Freeview box in each. Had no trouble getting channels on either, and I know we are in a good area to pick up. Only 1 of the bedroom tvs is used now. Using a bedroom freeview box and tv I tried setting it up in the lounge and tried using the downstairs cable and the tv could not pick up any signal so I'm thinking it's something to do with the downstairs connection?

Kymmy
06-01-2012, 22:45
Normally for multiple connections (especially for digital usage) you'd have an external antenna feeding a powered distribution box/amp. The multiple outputs from the distribution box/amp then feeds each wall panel giving a good strong signal to each one.

Scrubbs
07-01-2012, 15:37
it looks like the downstairs connector might be broken or loose wires get a suitable nail file:D I mean screwdriver and have a look.:) if thats ok it might be the other end of the wire where it connects to the aerial, maybe in the loft

Nailaddict
07-01-2012, 15:59
Hi Guys, thank you so much for all your help.

Situation today is: Thanks to Raging Bull's easy to understand explanation of connecting my Virgin cable box to the TV he sent me, it works!!! I now know for sure the TV works and isn't faulty. After speaking to a technical TV person where I bought it to let them know it wasn't the TV causing the problem, I now need to check aerial cable they say. So I have just ordered a coaxial aerial cable with gold plated ends on line. Few days for that to come. It can't be the aerial itself because 2 other TV's are fine if used with the upstairs aerial connections, but tried it downstairs with my tv (very old) cable and they don't work either. So hopefully that might work. If that doesn't work the next step is:

Check the socket on the wall. So many thanks Scrubbs you have helped me there, especially with a visual aid! I will of course be using my very own pink screwdriver that I use quite often, when doing this:D I'll let you know what happens.

Scrubbs
07-01-2012, 16:46
Good luck,:) I had a similar problem 6 months ago and it was where the bedroom coax connected into the aerial (in the airing cupboard). If you know who put the bedroom one's in, they may have swapped the wire from the downstairs one cos' you didn't need it.;)

raging bull
18-01-2012, 13:55
No broken fingernails yet then?
Still awaiting the outcome of connecting an aerial to TV and watching freeview.

Nailaddict
28-01-2012, 13:40
Hi Raging Bull,

I tried the new digital aerial connection but no success. One of my neighbours said we need to have a different cable from out roof aerial which means getting the plaster off the wall (we've only just re-decorated), or another hole through the ceiling which I really didn't want. So, I got in touch with Virgin and am now very happy with our new Tivo box. The installer fitted another aerial point for me in a place where the cable coming through the ceiling wouldn't look so out of place, so in the future I will get the cable changed. Hope all is well with you. Thanks again for all your advice.:)

NO ONE
26-03-2012, 22:21
if it.s any help I have A Sky Box my rooftoop Areall Pug in the R F gose in to a Spliter that then gose to bedroom to the Freevew Box Same Foul in the flant that works ok But V M Digital could be Differnt hop thart helps

nstokes
28-03-2012, 16:33
If the arieal is more than about 7 years old its prop not a fully digital areial so i would get your areial checked

raging bull
28-03-2012, 17:06
Digital aerial!! What's one of those. (Aerial installers selling point)
More like the cable has seen better days.
(Upstairs TV o'k, would move downstairs TV upstairs and scan for freeview channels to try.)

nodrogd
28-03-2012, 18:14
If the arieal is more than about 7 years old its prop not a fully digital areial so i would get your areial checked

Any aerial that provides/provided a good analogue picture will be fine for digital. The only exception is where channel allocations have changed at the transmitters, and details of this were given well in advance of switchover.