PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Iomega NAS Cloud & Superhub

mirrixx
03-01-2012, 11:33
Just purchased a 4TB Iomega NAS Cloud. Have unit working on LAN at home. Cannot get it to work anywhere else. Have successfully registered with TZO. Neither Cloud or web browser works properly.

I have read a previous post and PM'ed him to see if he was successful.

Has anyone got one of these to work thro' a VM Superhub?

(already been on Iomega support forums, but as they are American, progress is really slow, not familar with our 'unique structures' :dozey: )

If so, I would be grateful if you could pass on the settings used in Hub :)

TIA

Mark

Andrewcrawford23
03-01-2012, 16:04
when you say nither cloud or web browser work properly can you explain i dnt have one so it hard to know what oyu mena, i am assuming web browser you mean the web page of the nas cloud? and by cloud you mean it isnt accessible from outside yoru lan???

mirrixx
03-01-2012, 17:37
There are 2 ways to access the NAS...
1. Cloud - A specific file downloaded to the client computer which gives you direct access to the NAS. It is by invitation only and is computer specific. The point at which the software detects the NAS does not 'see' it.

2. Web Browser - Fire up any web browser and go to the internet site (this is hosted by TZO - free for 12mths) and you should be able to see open files (if this was set), but more importantly, login with provided un & pw & get access to folders you have shared. Web browser works, but the login doesn't. Useful if you are at any other computer and want to access secure files but haven't done 1.

Andrewcrawford23
03-01-2012, 18:24
There are 2 ways to access the NAS...
1. Cloud - A specific file downloaded to the client computer which gives you direct access to the NAS. It is by invitation only and is computer specific. The point at which the software detects the NAS does not 'see' it.

2. Web Browser - Fire up any web browser and go to the internet site (this is hosted by TZO - free for 12mths) and you should be able to see open files (if this was set), but more importantly, login with provided un & pw & get access to folders you have shared. Web browser works, but the login doesn't. Useful if you are at any other computer and want to access secure files but haven't done 1.

sine you cant login from the web browser it idcites a problem with the configgrution of the nas itself as the hub has no control over authentication only directing to the nas. so i say 1 might be a configrution issue to as well. but it could be a firewall issue prevent the software doing network scans it could also be the hub if it uses a specfic port and that needs forwarded hard to say, but i say from the rough information i have looked up and what yoiur saying its nas copnfigrution the hub settings are unlikely to be affecting so i suggest imogea as they will knoew how to set up the nas best once they can confirm tbe settiongs and if you are still havinh problwem i might be able to suggest a few things to try but just now it to broad a possabilty for solutions i rather narrow down and remove imogea pontential poblems

AndyCalling
03-01-2012, 20:22
The following quote is my reply to the PM sent to me by the OP. I quote it in case it will help others. My Iomega NAS works fine with an R30 firmware Shub for both the cloud (a VPN connection) and standard remote access.

Hiya. I can't remember the post you must be referring to, but I assume you are talking about the Iomega Home Media Network cloud edition drive. For reference, I have the 1TB version.

It works great on the VM Shub with R30 firmware. All you need to do is turn on UPnP in the Shub settings and you can forget about port forwarding. I have it on a reserved IP (not a fixed IP, though that should be fine as well) but such may not be necessary. I just routinely do that for kit that remains on site.

I suggest you turn off the Shub 'firewall features', 'port scan detection' and 'ip flood detection' on the 'services' page in the Shub settings as such are no longer useful. That issue has been discussed at length on the forums, research if you like or trust me. All you need is a software firewall on each computer and NAT on your router. Disabling these features will prevent problems and will not make your systems vulnerable in any way. I have also enabled 'respond to ping on wan port' on the Shub 'dmz host' settings page. Not really a security risk these days and it may be a factor, but may not be necessary. I would do these things anyway though, as they help to dodge issues in general.

You will not be able to 'loop back' and access your own cloud over your home internet connection, just via the lan. This is fine and because VM block such, as do most ISPs.

You need a different email address and login for each PC you enable on the cloud.

You need not run the Iomega storage manager each time you boot. Just run it, enable the cloud on that PC and exit. Allocate network shares in windows itself via the normal method rather than by using this software.

The cloud is slower than normal lan access as it uses a VPN driver which you enable/disable using the Iomega storage manager software. If you want to use it at full speed when at home over your lan, run up the software and switch off the cloud VPN on the portable PC. You can turn it back on again when you leave the house.

Be aware of the media server bug on the NAS that means you need to turn off the media server before copying media to shares that are set to enable media sharing (by default the Pictures, Movies and Music shares). This bug is being worked on by iomega.

As for the kit you will access the net on when away from home to access your NAS...

Some poor routers you might encounter on the road may not work well with external access at all (a mate's very old BT router is like this) but not many. If the cloud VPN fails on these routers try standard remote access. Some routers may have their firewall turned on, which may block cloud VPN access at random intervals if they get tripped. Again, switch to web based remote access to avoid this.

Many 3G mobile providers will block the cloud VPN, and even HTTPS file transfers and FTP. Such is life. Find wifi access if this is an issue for you.

You need to enable internet security on the NAS and give access rights to each user if you are going to use the remote access web interface. Otherwise the whole world can access your shares, as you have found out. Once secured, log in using the little key icon on the web interface screen, in the top right hand corner. Easy.

Have fun...