PDA

View Full Version : Connection/Billion router queries

amc1
03-01-2012, 10:42
Hi, after constant connection drops I purchased a new Billion 7800N router (as it had glowing reviews).

Sure enough, it has not dropped out since. However laptop/PC speeds are just ok (a bit worse than before) but my son now says that XBox live gaming is much worse than our old Belkin router with major lags.

I am supposed to be on to be on the 10Mb service via a modem. I've just done a speedtest.net test and it was 6.78 mbps (4.something the other day) download speed and 0.84 Mbps upload speed.

Please can anyone help with any suggestions for the following questions :-

1. Are the above figures ok ?
2. Are there any Billion tweaks/settings that I can make to improve things.
3. Are there any tweaks/settings that I can make to improve the Xbox live.

I'm not particularly technical so step-by-step help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

MovedGoalPosts
03-01-2012, 10:53
Before you worry too much about the router settings, have a good look at the basic internet connection.

Connect a computer direct to the modem, not via the router. What do your speed tests now say? If you connect the xbox direct to the modem, again does the service improve? If there is a difference and the service with the router as your network reduces things, then you know something is amis with your router. If it doesn't improve, then perhaps the cable service is a little poor.

Try things like speedtest at various times of day as it can differ depending on what other traffic over the internet is taking place.