PDA

View Full Version : Have VM really become this incompetent or is this deliberate?

maff101
30-12-2011, 14:26
I've been with VM/Telewest for 10+ years and aside from the occasional glitch I've been pretty satisfied. That all changed this month, to such a degree that I'm wondering if I can really chalk this up to sheer incompetence or if something else is going on.

I'm on the 20mb package, and for a last few months I've noticed YouTube videos are increasingly difficult to stream, opening web pages are somewhat hit-and-miss, and downloading over HTTP seems to be perpetually capped. It wasn't until early December when NTTP connections suddenly started dropping to 300kbs and below for several days that I contacted support.

I phoned support to request a technician and got the Indian call centre. I was refused a booking and was told that there was a known issue in my area, which would be solved within a week. I checked the service status page and found nothing reported, so I can only assume support have access to service status information that isn't posted publicly? For days at a time? Hmm.

After a couple of days of waiting my connection was alternating between sub-dial up speeds and no connection at all. Still nothing was listed on the service status page for my area, so I again called support. Once again the Indian call centre refused point blank to send out a technician, and I was told that my problem was actually down to utilisation issues in my area that would not be fixed until 25th January 2012.

So, in between looking for another ISP - because 25th January 2012 is freaking ridiculous - I posted on the VM Help and Support forums. After a few days someone from the Support Forum Team determined that my modem, which by now could not establish any connection at all, was probably borked and finally offered to book a technician.

After a week of waiting, the technician which I had been trying to book for nearly three weeks turned up. After telling me that there were no utilisation issues in my area, and that utilisation shouldn't affect 20mb customers anyway, he agreed that I did indeed need a new modem. Unfortunately, despite being called out on a job specifically to fix a broadband issue which support had already determined would probably require a new modem, he hadn't actually brought any new modems with him. Do the different support departments in VM even talk to each other?

Assuring me that he would be back by the end of the day, he left to collect the new modem. That was yesterday. So far he hasn't returned.

I tried the Support Forums again today, only to be told the job had been closed. Do VM really close jobs without confirming that they are acutally resolved? I guess so! Thankfully, a member of the Support Forum team has sent an email to the Principal Technician for my area. He sounds important, so who knowns, maybe I'll find out something in the New Year?

So, I've been without service for weeks and VM appear to have stalled and misdirected me at every turn. Problems are assigned to issues that mysteriously aren't on the service status pages. Support staff refuse to book technicians. When technicians are booked, they turn up without the equipment required to fix problems. Jobs are closed without the issues actually being resolved. I can't help but feel I'm being deliberately sent around in circles.

thenry
30-12-2011, 14:35
call VM '150' now via your VM home phone... press 1 to confirm the account number then option 5 and then option 2.. you'll get onto retentions/thinking of leaving.. tell them everything you've said here and ask or get them to send you out a SuperHub

Digital Fanatic
30-12-2011, 14:55
Sorry to hear the problems you have been having. Utilisation issues are never posted to the Status Pages as they are usually a P4 fault (degraded service). Only faults of P2 and above will be automatically posted. The status page is designed more toward a total loss of service rather than degraded.

Support Staff have access to all known open faults and will check your CMTS/cable against them. If it matches then they will assign a fault ticket on your account with the reference number.

Utilisation issues can take anything from a month or more to be upgraded (depending on the severity)

The engineer is wrong to say "utilisation shouldn't affect 20mb customers anyway" as this is untrue.

At this stage and the problems you've had, then I think thenry's advice above would be a good idea.

Let us know how you got on :tu:

maff101
30-12-2011, 15:44
Thanks guys. Hopefully I should have an technician around first thing tomorrow.

thenry
30-12-2011, 15:49
did you mention the SuperHub? if so did they say anything? its standard kit now, the tech may install a VM standard Hub, reject it and state you want the standard SuperHub kit which will future proof you for an upgrade most likely to happen next year.

Digital Fanatic
30-12-2011, 15:52
Thanks guys. Hopefully I should have an technician around first thing tomorrow.

Good stuff :tu:

maff101
30-12-2011, 15:58
did you mention the SuperHub? if so did they say anything? its standard kit now, the tech may install a VM standard Hub, reject it and state you want the standard SuperHub kit which will future proof you for an upgrade most likely to happen next year.

I didn't, and they didn't mention it either. My understanding was that the SuperHub was part of the 30mb service (I'm on 20mb) and that there were some technical issues with it? Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep the future upgrade in mind. At this point I'll just be happy to get any service back!

thenry
30-12-2011, 16:16
I didn't, and they didn't mention it either. My understanding was that the SuperHub was part of the 30mb service (I'm on 20mb) and that there were some technical issues with it? Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep the future upgrade in mind. At this point I'll just be happy to get any service back!

think I've just been :bsmack: :LOL:

the SH is now standard kit for all VM broadband services > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33683978-superhub-becomes-standard-kit.html

the firmware bugs have been fixed and has the added modem mode to which you can hook up your own router if you wish.

future upgrades > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33683556-speed-doubling.html

i only mention the SH with you having issues.. a chance to get one out of VM

maff101
30-12-2011, 16:24
think I've just been :bsmack: :LOL:

Not at all mate. Sorry if I gave that impression. Honestly, at the moment just getting an engineer over with the right gear is trouble enough. If the new SH is standard kit then presumably they should install one for me tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what happens.

thenry
30-12-2011, 16:35
been there with techs not turning up. hope you get it sorted tomorrow.

you would of thought it would work like that but it doesn't, ask for it mate and while the techs there ask him to check your power levels and to do a speedtest

kwikbreaks
30-12-2011, 18:22
There are still stocks of the standard hub to clear down so every chance it will be one of them.

jb66
30-12-2011, 19:03

thenry stop giving out bad adivce, this is not true, service calls still use the regular hub untill stock runs out.

This issue is the techs fault, he doesn't need to "bring a modem" he should have loads in his van, he is obviously not managing his stock and its you, the customer who has to suffer, the principal technician should get things sorted for you. Why didn't tech support post a modem?

thenry
30-12-2011, 19:10
I came across that when reading Masques post I think. I'm merely giving the OP the heads up.

Digital Fanatic
30-12-2011, 19:27
thenry stop giving out bad adivce, this is not true, service calls still use the regular hub untill stock runs out.

This issue is the techs fault, he doesn't need to "bring a modem" he should have loads in his van, he is obviously not managing his stock and its you, the customer who has to suffer, the principal technician should get things sorted for you. Why didn't tech support post a modem?

Totally agree, the tech is at fault here. Bad customer experience. :(

m8internet
30-12-2011, 19:31
I hope you have been keeping a record of all the issues
Once the issue has been resolved, send a formal complaint

I've done this twice and each time received a full monthly refund (albeit by way of credit) for the affected periods

VM could advise that as the service was available that no compensation is due, however I am quite sure they will offer a goodwill gesture

Equally, add in details of any days lost for work, additional costs, etc

Peter_
30-12-2011, 22:53
Standard hubs are still being fitted for fault issues as the stock has to be used up and therefore if you are on the relevant tier that is all they are required to fit until all the stock runs out.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

I came across that when reading Masques post I think. I'm merely giving the OP the heads up.

Actually it states this in Ben's first post http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35347788-post1.html

thenry
31-12-2011, 13:10
I knew it was a VM employee :o:

Mick Fisher
31-12-2011, 13:14
Standard hubs are still being fitted for fault issues as the stock has to be used up and therefore if you are on the relevant tier that is all they are required to fit until all the stock runs out.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Actually it states this in Ben's first post http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35347788-post1.html
Actually this may be a good thing.

From personal experience, on 20meg, I found the standard hub to be solid as a rock. :)

It was only after upgrading to 30meg and installing the POS superhub that all the problems started. :(

In view of the runaround the OP has been given by the Indian Hindrance Center and the Tech with no modems, to be issued with a device that is more than likely not to work as expected, could well be the straw that breaks the camels back. :erm:

maff101
31-12-2011, 17:23
The technician arrived this morning equipped with a shiny new SuperHub, and fixed everything in a matter of minutes. Speedtest reports I can max out my download and upload speeds, so no utilisation issues in my area that I can see. Everything is back to normal (though it looks like the WiFi on the SH needs some configuring).

I'll be forwarding a letter to VM detailing my experiences. I certainly don't expect to be charged for my broadband for this month, and a free bump up in speed would be nice by way of compensation, but what really annoys me is the advice from the support call centre. Had I not posted on the VM support forums and gotten a response from the forum team, I'd be sitting here without service until February for no reason.

Digital Fanatic
31-12-2011, 17:33
The technician arrived this morning equipped with a shiny new SuperHub, and fixed everything in a matter of minutes. Speedtest reports I can max out my download and upload speeds, so no utilisation issues in my area that I can see. Everything is back to normal (though it looks like the WiFi on the SH needs some configuring).

I'll be forwarding a letter to VM detailing my experiences. I certainly don't expect to be charged for my broadband for this month, and a free bump up in speed would be nice by way of compensation, but what really annoys me is the advice from the support call centre. Had I not posted on the VM support forums and gotten a response from the forum team, I'd be sitting here without service until February for no reason.

Yes, that would be good to feedback.

Glad you are all up and running :tu:

thenry
31-12-2011, 17:34

glad its sorted and you've got yourself a SH :D

Have you got a laptop which is wireless capable? or even a wireless USB adapter to use on a PC/Laptop? If so...

download inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) onto the wireless capable system and run it letting it search for all networks within reach. Note the channel numbers each network uses, they will range from 1-13 on 2.4GHz. Once inSSIDer has done its thing and you know which channels are in use set your SuperHub network to use a channel that isn't in use.

SuperHub web interface login is, 192.168.0.1
note if you stick the SuperHub into modem mode the web interface IP will change to - 192.168.100.1

login using the default login - username: admin ~ password: changeme

click on advanced settings below the 3 boxes... then wireless settings. don't forget to apply the changes you make before exiting and do not leave the SH channel as auto.. it sucks. manually set it following the instructions above.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

General Maximus
31-12-2011, 19:21

I would complain dude and made it crystal clear how you have been bummed around again by tech support. What good are the call centres if they cant diagnose a modem fault and then refuse to send an engineer out who would have been able to fix it?

roughbeast
03-01-2012, 19:23
Spare a thought for these guys. It ain't just VM that gets the moans.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/3944006-bt-and-bt-openreach-are-totally-incompetent.html?vc=1

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4076721-bt-infinity-not-as-fast-as-promised.html?vc=1

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4074483-why-are-bt-so-useless.html?page=2#Post4076263