PDA

View Full Version : VM Router Wireless with EO8C007 modem?

swanseadave
29-12-2011, 14:25
Am I right in thinking this modem supplied years ago by NTL isnot wireless capable?

I have a Netgear WGR614 v.6 router connected to the modem by ethernet and a network cable from PC to routerLAN 3.

With this setup my new Kindle works wirelessly but the PC does not.

Anyone help please?

Dave Phillips

thenry
29-12-2011, 15:14
Am I right in thinking this modem supplied years ago by NTL isnot wireless capable?

its a stand alone modem, no wireless built in. get it replaced for a SuperHub to future proof yourself. Call VM 150.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v.6 router connected to the modem by ethernet and a network cable from PC to routerLAN 3.

With this setup my new Kindle works wirelessly but the PC does not.

Anyone help please?

Dave Phillips

has your PC got a wireless USB adapter linked to it or a wireless card/chip? if not you'll only be able to connect to the net via ethernet unless you buy a USB adapter or wireless card, easiest option would be a USB adapter if of course its needed and the PC isn't in reach of the router to which you can link it up via ethernet.

swanseadave
30-12-2011, 08:42
Thanks for the info.I`ll ring VM.

Cheers

General Maximus
30-12-2011, 08:49
I am a bit confused. Your Netgear router is 802.11g so you can get a usb adapter to make your pc wireless if you want to, but if you want a bit of an upgrade you defo don't want to be ringing VM up for a shub because you'll screw yourself over big time. If you are happy with your current modem all you need is a new router which will support for 802.11n and a usb adapter, and you can get both of those for around £40. The shub isn't the way to go if you are looking to solely use wireless for your internet connectivity.

swanseadave
30-12-2011, 09:19
Sorry to be a dummy here but please explain 802.11g.

The router is one purchased 3 years ago but never used before trying to set up wireless for my new Kindle.That`s been successful I should add but only with the modem and router linked by ethernet.

jem
30-12-2011, 09:48
Bit of an over simplification but 802.11g is one of a set of wireless data transmission (WiFi) standards, equipment which conforms to this has a maximum (theoretical - you'll never actually get anywhere near it in real-life) data transmission rate of 54 Megabits per second. There is an older 802.11b standard and a more modern 802.11n which can work at a higher speed.

Generally routers are downward compatible so a 802.11n capable model can also be set to work with equipment which is 'g' and even 'b' only.

In your case you have the cable modem (the EC8C007) which connects to the cable feed but this has no routing functions or wireless ability, it can only connect one device at a time to the internet. So the output of this is connected to your routers WAN connection and then you can connect four devices wired to each of the four LAN ports on the device and all of them can use the internet at the same time.

As this router also has wireless capability, then as you have discovered, you can connect devices such as the Kindle to it as well without needing a physical wired connection. You should find that the PC will still work while physically wired in but if you wanted to be able to connect the PC wirelessly it would need to have a wireless card installed in it or some kind of USB wireless dongle. Personally I wouldn't bother, generally speaking wired connections are more reliable anyway.

In the future, if you wanted to upgrade your internet connection speed, then VM would supply you with what is called a 'SuperHub' which is a modem and 802.11n wireless router combined and would replace both of your existing devices. If you look through some of the threads here you will see that there are quite a few 'opinions' (shall we say) as to the quality and suitability of the SuperHub though. However when and if the EC8C007 is replaced or dies, you won't have a choice, it'll be the SuperHub or nothing.

Kymmy
30-12-2011, 09:52
In simple terms the kindle works so your PC should work, either via ethernet cable (make sure the NIC is set to detect an address automaticaly and has the drivers installed (check in the device manager)) or via Wifi (if you have a wifi card installed you only need to set the encrytion method and the key)

There's no need for any other router/hub/modem

swanseadave
30-12-2011, 10:05
Thank you jem for that detailed explanation.It makes more sense now.

I`ll speak to my son who`s much more PC savvy than me.

To clarify Kymmy the PC does work with the ethernet cable installed modem to router.

Kymmy
30-12-2011, 10:15
When you swap round the PC to the router reboot all three devices by powering all three off and then turning on modem, router and then PC

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

Once you've done this if you are still having problems then go to your commend prompt

START>>RUN>> cmd

and in the command prompt window that pops up type in IPCONFIG /ALL and tell us what the IP address is of the PC when connected to the router (just cut/paste to here if you're not sure which one is which)

thenry
30-12-2011, 13:05
I am a bit confused. Your Netgear router is 802.11g so you can get a usb adapter to make your pc wireless if you want to, but if you want a bit of an upgrade you defo don't want to be ringing VM up for a shub because you'll screw yourself over big time. If you are happy with your current modem all you need is a new router which will support for 802.11n and a usb adapter, and you can get both of those for around £40. The shub isn't the way to go if you are looking to solely use wireless for your internet connectivity.

The SuperHub isn't as bad as you make it out to be. I suggest it to swanseadave to firstly future proof himself and secondly it may just be sufficient for him.. he's got all the help he'll need on here setting it up. If by chance it plays up he can always put into modem mode and get hold of a D-Link 615 for next to nothing.

swanseadave what I mean by future proofing yourself is two things, new network and > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33683556-speed-doubling.html

furthermore the SuperHub is now the way forward as it should be > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33683978-superhub-becomes-standard-kit.html

swanseadave
06-01-2012, 17:24
Despite discussing the issue with Netgear the PC still will not work wirelessly although the Kindle does.
On another forum I use it`s been implied that the modem must be connected by ether to the router,but this assertion surely defeats the object of a router,Kindle excepted.:confused:

One can just as easily connect modem to router by a long ether cable to enable the PC to move further from the modem,or alternately a pair of these would do the job equally well and at 200Mbs!

In any case in order to operate my PC in another part of the room I`m sticking with either of the two methods outlined above depending on how far apart the modem and PC are located.;):cool:

thenry
06-01-2012, 17:40
right mate slow down a little.

is your PC wireless capable? has it got a wireless card within it, a chip, a usb adapter?

if you don't know..

start > right click my computer (XP) - computer (vista,7) - click on properties > for XP - hardware tab then device manager / for vista/7 device manager (on the left) > expand network adapters clicking the little +icon next to it and post whats listed

General Maximus
06-01-2012, 18:03
you are confusing the hell out of me dude but I'll do my best to explain.

The modem is what sends all your internet traffic down the VM pipe to the internet and it doesnt do anything apart from that. It doesnt block anything, run wireless or anything, it is just a receiver if you want to think of it that way so you can get on the internet, much like you need a satellite dish if you want Sky TV.

Now, when you are getting stuff back from the internet you have one or two choices: You can have a pc directly connected to the modem, at which point the pc will be the only device which can access the internet, or you can have a router. The routers job is to route/manage traffic for your local network (your house), whether it is pcs, laptops, mobile phones or anything else. It is the router which can block ports, assign ip addresses and provide your wireless services. If you have a router connected to your modem then that is all the modem can see, it is like it hits a brick wall. Although you might have been supplied with a nice length of coax you want to keep your modem close to the box on the wall for simplicity sake and your router should be connected via an ethernet cable to the modem very close by.

Any distance should be between the devices and the router and not the router and the modem. It is up to you how you want to connect your devices to the router and you know you can either do it by ethernet cable or wirelessly. Either way you have got to have a network interface card and this can either be wired (which you stick your cable in to) or a wireless NIC. Laptops have built in wireless NICs so your laptops can connect wirelessly because they are portable but PCs typically don't.

If you want to connect your PC wirelessly you will need a wireless dongle/adapter, something like this http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-usb-n13-300mbps-802-11n-usb-wireless-adapter--consistent-transmission-and-wide-coverage-72BS.html

This would come with some software which would detect available wireless networks (your router), allow you to connect to it and ultimately the internet. If you havent bought a wireless adapter like this for your pc then it isn't wireless capable and you will need to buy one.

swanseadave
07-01-2012, 10:13
Right then,thenry,did that but all attempts to C&P it here failed.I should add here that my son who`s good with computers,thinks the Netgear dongle supplied with the router fulfills this purpose,so no I guess the PC doesn`t have one fitted internally.

General Maximus,Thanks for your very detailed explanation;it`s quite clear now that a wireless pc won`t be achieved without spending cash on this device.
As a retired person however with my wife retiring in March I have to consider whether such expenditure can be justified when I can,for less than £5 buy a 5 or 10 metre ethernet cable and achieve the same result albeit wired.

When I embarked on this I had no idea it would be so apparently complex.I`d like to thank everyone in this thread.Your depth of knowledge is amazing.

Peter_
07-01-2012, 11:00
As a retired person however with my wife retiring in March I have to consider whether such expenditure can be justified when I can,for less than £5 buy a 5 or 10 metre ethernet cable and achieve the same result albeit wired.

You can get 10/20/30 mtr ethernet cables direct from Ebay for less than a fiver, plenty in this link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ethernet+cables&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Andrewcrawford23
07-01-2012, 11:03
Right then,thenry,did that but all attempts to C&P it here failed.I should add here that my son who`s good with computers,thinks the Netgear dongle supplied with the router fulfills this purpose,so no I guess the PC doesn`t have one fitted internally.

General Maximus,Thanks for your very detailed explanation;it`s quite clear now that a wireless pc won`t be achieved without spending cash on this device.

When I embarked on this I had no idea it would be so apparently complex.I`d like to thank everyone in this thread.Your depth of knowledge is amazing.

give me teh model number of the dongle ill do some checking if the pc is in the same room as the rotuer it should work , i can guide oyu thorugh setting it up

swanseadave
07-01-2012, 13:06
You can get 10/20/30 mtr ethernet cables direct from Ebay for less than a fiver, plenty in this link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ethernet+cables&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Thanks for the link.You can get them too from 7dayshop (http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=9&type=0&man=96&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=) in Guernsey where I buy my printer ink and photo accessories.Carriage and VAT free.
You will also see mains network adaptors in the link,considerably cheaper than others I`ve seen and recommended by users of another vBulletin forum I use.(Amateur Photographer)They are a very good online company.

Cheers for the info.;)

thenry
07-01-2012, 13:11
7days aren't bad correct :)

you said you've got a wireless adapter, a router. i'm getting confused in this thread what are you trying to achieve? a link to the net or a specific connection, wired or wireless?

which operating system does your PC have on it, Microsoft XP, Vista, 7.. or have you got an Apple machine?

swanseadave
07-01-2012, 13:27
give me teh model number of the dongle ill do some checking if the pc is in the same room as the rotuer it should work , i can guide oyu thorugh setting it up

I replied to Masque b4 I saw your post:o::erm: but here it is as printed on the dongle:

WG111v2 S/N1AC166BK05589 MAC00184D028858

It`s connected to a rear USB port via a USB cable supplied with it.It pulses a blue light.

I should add here that the router was NOT supplied by VM but purchased from Argos.
I say this since the words "VM router" have been applied (by the mods?) to the thread title.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

7days aren't bad correct :)

you said you've got a wireless adapter, a router. i'm getting confused in this thread what are you trying to achieve? a link to the net or a specific connection, wired or wireless?

which operating system does your PC have on it, Microsoft XP, Vista, 7.. or have you got an Apple machine?

What would be ideal would be for the pc to connect to the net wirelessly,ie,without an ethernet cable connecting the modem and router.As it stands that isn`t possible.
Wireless operation is not a priority for me,though I know my son wants to solve the puzzle for self satisfaction.

The "wireless adaptor" is the Netgear dongle described above which may or may not fulfill that function.My son thinks it does.

The PC is running XP pro on SP3 with 2Gb RAM.My main browser is Opera though IE8 is also installed.

Sorry to confuse.It`s not easy getting it down in coherant language.

thenry
07-01-2012, 13:32
have you gone through this...

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/713/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzI1OTQyOTQxL3NpZC9NY2tFOXlOaw%3D% 3D

Andrewcrawford23
07-01-2012, 13:37
ill post later th istruction on hwo to fix this for you

swanseadave
07-01-2012, 13:57
have you gone through this...

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/713/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzI1OTQyOTQxL3NpZC9NY2tFOXlOaw%3D% 3D

I`ve not but my son in his bid to solve the issue ,has and is in email contact with them.I`ve not had an update on his progress today since my grandson is unwell and obviously has precedent.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

ill post later th istruction on hwo to fix this for you

Thanx:)

thenry
07-01-2012, 14:09
ok. hope the little 1 gets well soon

General Maximus
07-01-2012, 14:21
To be honest dude you are looking at things the wrong way round. Rather than trying to do everything wireless and only wired if you have to, you should want everything wired as much as possible. wired connections are faster than wireless and are far more stable. The only down side is if you pc isnt in the same room as the router.

When you are looking at cables make sure you get a cat5e patch cable. The length and colour are up to you :)

swanseadave
07-01-2012, 15:15
To be honest dude you are looking at things the wrong way round. Rather than trying to do everything wireless and only wired if you have to, you should want everything wired as much as possible. wired connections are faster than wireless and are far more stable. The only down side is if you pc isnt in the same room as the router.

When you are looking at cables make sure you get a cat5e patch cable. The length and colour are up to you :)

Thanks I was uncertain of that spec cable.

For locating the PC much further away,say upstairs for example,the mains network adaptors are probably the best way to go since they use the house wiring as the "network".The 7day ones in my link are good for 200Mbs and £29.99 a pair.

I believe you are right about wired being both faster and more reliable and it`s that route I`ll adopt when I need to move the PC.

You are a brilliant helpful crowd on here and I`m glad to "know" you guys.

Regards,Dave.:cool:

swanseadave
11-01-2012, 20:03
After struggling with the set up since Boxing Day it`s finally working wirelessly.

A big thank you to AndrewCrawford23 for his help via PM that`s been a major factor in sorting it out.

Firstly I uninstalled the Netgear drivers(which were from 2007) and secondly downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the Netgear website.

While examining the PC I found on the motherboard a dialup modem which had been part of an old Compaq PC running Windows98
which I owned years ago.

Since the new PC was built four years ago by a friend using components from Scan of Bolton,this modem must have been put back in the new build:confused:.I can`t understand how but none the less there it was.

Whether by coincidence or not the PC worked wirelessly when it was removed.

So after a frustrating fortnight success!!:)

Also many thanks to all who took the time to contribute to this thread.You`re all stars.;):):cool: