PDA

View Full Version : DIR615 Help

kingkarlkebab
27-12-2011, 19:26
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me.

My parents have cable and I'm trying to reset the wireless network password.

I done this for them about three years ago and changed it to something more memorable for them so they wouldn't forget it. They've forgotten it.

I've got two laptops already connected wirelessly which was done ages ago but they cannot connect the devices.

Last time I called cable and they talked me through it. I've just tried calling them again but they won't talk to me as I'm not the account holder (my mum is) and their on holiday.

Any help guys? I did have a look through the forums but couldn't find a sticky,

Many thanks

Cobbydaler
27-12-2011, 19:32
Manual available here (http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=TechSupport_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLTechProduct&cid=1197319391320&p=1197318962293&packedargs=category%3DTechSupportSearch%26locale%3 D1195806691854%26term%3DDIR-615&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper), once you determine the hardware version.

kingkarlkebab
27-12-2011, 21:32
Thank you. Appears to be:

connect with ethernet cable
20 second reset
192.168.0.1 and log in with admin and no password.

I will try it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Cobbydaler
27-12-2011, 21:45
That will reset the entire router. You can use the manual to find out how to reset just the wireless access password.
If you reset the entire router you may lose the VM account login details.

nick2xuk
28-12-2011, 14:43
That will reset the entire router. You can use the manual to find out how to reset just the wireless access password.
If you reset the entire router you may lose the VM account login details.

No details need entering, just needs to be set to obtain an IP via DHCP which I'm it is set to by default.

However, if you log onto the router and visit the wireless setup on the left hand side then select Manual Setup - the wireless key should be shown at the bottom under the WPA/WPA2 section. (it doesn't seem to hide the characters so you can see/modify the network key).

Peter_
28-12-2011, 14:51
D LINK ROUTER SETUP

The first thing you need to do is power down the modem and then you need to do a pinhole reset of the router, if you look on the back of the router the is a grey reset hole, you take a pen and press it into the router while powered on for 30 seconds..

Then you wait for the lights all to turn green on the router and then power up the modem, then you look for a DLink network which is unsecured and you then connect to it wirelessly, ignore any prompts to set up the network at this stage just continue and connect.

Then you go go online and in the address bar of your browser you type 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return, you will then be asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank, and then click login and they will be presented with a Dlink screen on the left chose wireless setup and then go to manual setup at the bottom and you will be presented with the setup screen

At the top we have Wi-Fi Protected Setup also known as WCN2, remove the Enable Pin tick and then go the Wireless Network Settings section and go to the box with the SSID which by default will be dlink and change it to one of your own choice.

Then click on the security options drop down and choose WPA/WPA2 wireless security enhanced, then the Network key box will appear and in here they enter a password with a minimum length of 8 characters then click save settings and wait for it to finish.

You can now look for their newly named network and connect using their password.

You should now be connected and it should have taken between 5 and 10 minutes to achieve this and the disk will make a nice coaster.