PDA

View Full Version : Slow Downloads from Apple

buckleb
27-12-2011, 12:15
Is anyone else experiencing very slow downloads from Apple?

I purchased an iPad before Christmas and while general network connectivity is fine, and app downloads crawl along at dial-up speeds.

Using iTunes on my desktop also shows very slow download speeds (circa 50KB/sec). Even downloading the iTunes update was a lesson in slowness. I am currently downloading the Top Gear giveaway from the Apple app store, and it is indicating 9 hours (for 905MB)!

I am on the 100Mb product though I don't think this has anything to do with Virgin (apologies if this is in the wrong section) as everything else seems to download at normal rates.

I have changed DNS providers (and flushed the dns cache in-between changes) but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Milambar
27-12-2011, 12:50
Perhaps all the Applejuice is just gone, with people drinking cider over xmas?

Sorry, couldn't resist. No clue in all honesty.

Stephen
27-12-2011, 12:51
I've got no problems at all here on 50Mb. Just downloaded 83 app updates in about 6 mins. Also upgraded to Lion and that downloaded in about 10 mins for me.

buckleb
27-12-2011, 14:53
Interesting that you have no problems. I see a fair few complaints about slow downloads from Apple but no real resolutions. The problem is definitely related to Apple downloads though, as everything else is fine.

There is a train of thought that it is dns related (apparently apple use a distributed download service where users get directed to the nearest server) and that using a third party dns provider forces everyone on to one server. I've tried changing providers with no difference in download speed at all.

I'm stumped, but will perhaps save money given that downloading anything takes forever!