PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Options- Please help

SwgLee
27-12-2011, 11:17
Hi everyone
1st Happy Xmas everyone. I hope you all had a great Xmas day.

Over Xmas, i was bought an Ipad by my brother as a present (i know, i was like wow, i normally get socks off him lol).
As you know it needs a wireless connection which i dont have as present.

I have the old 20 meg (now 30) wired connection via router/ethernet via Virgin and i am reluctant to change as it works perfectly plus my computer does not have a wireless card in it. Its the old saying, if its not broken, dont fix it.

To get my Ipad up and running, is my only options to bite the bullet and upgrade to the wireless hub/router. If i do that, can i still connect my computrer to it via ethernet. I do alot of online gaming (mmorpg's) so a good connection is my first priority.

I have seen wireless routers via amazon etc but before i jump in and buy one or upgrade on my virgin subscription (if i can still use ethernet) i thought id ask you all incase there are workarounds.

Thanks in advance
Lee

paulius55
27-12-2011, 11:22
Yes, you can use both wired and wireless connections on almost any router. Most come with four wired ethernet ports. Make sure you buy a router suitable for cable connection, not ADSL, you should not need to pay much more than £30.

SwgLee
27-12-2011, 11:42
Thank you
I just ordered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001IL7OWW/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Once it comes, do i simply plug my virgin cable into this and not the router virgin gave me then use this to connect to my computer via ethernet but i will also be able to hook up my ipad to the wireless on it.

Milambar
27-12-2011, 11:45
I confess, I'm confused. You said you are on 30meg..

I have the old 20 meg (now 30)

Surely that means you already have the superhub, as its my understanding that 30meg is only on docsis 3, which the older modems are not capable of.

Or has it changed.

SwgLee
27-12-2011, 11:57
i have always been on 20 meg but after last speaking to virgin over another issue, the person on the phone said he noticed i was on 20 and would put me to 30 free but i use the same router. Saying that my speeds are the same, about 18-19 so hasnt made any improvement but in all honesty i dont download movies or music etc, so 18-19 is perfect for my gaming. Its worked brilliantly up to now so ive always been reluctant to change to wireless and the superhub as i dont really need 50+ speeds but with getting an ipad its sort of thrown me hence my post here on what to do

paulius55
27-12-2011, 13:13
The one you have ordered looks fine. Just power down your cable modem, this is important as it allows the modem to "discover" the new router, then plug it into the new router. Don't forget to set up wireless encryption, this should all be explained in the manual.

SwgLee
27-12-2011, 17:35
thank you for your help Paulius

General Maximus
27-12-2011, 17:38
ya, WPA2-Personal if it supports it

horseman
27-12-2011, 17:59
I confess, I'm confused. You said you are on 30meg..

Surely that means you already have the superhub, as its my understanding that 30meg is only on docsis 3, which the older modems are not capable of.

Or has it changed.

If the op is not provisioned via a VMDG480(SH) then he's likely on VMNG300 instead? Hence his requirement for w/less router? "N'es pas?"