PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Hub - New Install

JediMaster
24-12-2011, 11:26
Just had a call off a friend who has just had his PC reset to factory settings as he has messed up Windows, its a older PC so he is running XP Sp2

He cant get back online with the new PC. I've got it in my house & works ok on my Wired setup. But he uses the new Hub (not Super Hub) think its Netgear but the Push Button USB dongles (not seen these before).

He has PC upstairs & that Dell works fine. Only the one in kitchen is not online. Did Virgin use a CD to install software or anything to get the PC online in the start? It was online last week.

How do you setup NEW Wireless connection on XP? this page has DEAD link (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=322886) so cant read XP Guide :(

Surely its just plug in the USB & go to Wireless Network, then Scan & enter the Password like normal? or does the Button USB work differently?

Cheers

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 13:57
Isn't it a case of pushing the Virgin button for 2 seconds to get the SH to search for the USB device? I'll assume the USB device is set up with drivers on the PC.

General Maximus
26-12-2011, 08:52
Isn't it a case of pushing the Virgin button for 2 seconds to get the SH to search for the USB device?

No because he doesnt have a shub :doh:

You need to get the cd with the drivers on for the wireless adaptors so windows knows what they are but after they are installed the wireless networking wizard in XP should pretty much do the rest for you unless there is Netgear software supplied with the dongles you would prefer to use

JediMaster
26-12-2011, 14:00
No because he doesnt have a shub :doh:

You need to get the cd with the drivers on for the wireless adaptors so windows knows what they are but after they are installed the wireless networking wizard in XP should pretty much do the rest for you unless there is Netgear software supplied with the dongles you would prefer to use

Is there anyplace to DOWNLOAD these? Virgin Tech guy never left CD.....

jb66
26-12-2011, 15:23
The net gear dongles have drivers on them

JediMaster
27-12-2011, 11:46
Win XP SP2

11n Dual Bond USB Adaptor - WNDA3200

Plug it in & it does not find it (so my friend says) will have to try & pop over but its miles away. Any other thoughts on this?

kwikbreaks
27-12-2011, 11:51
Have you read http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/driver-and-software-for-wnda3200/td-p/406137

That suggests that the drivers are actually on the device (presumably in a CD section like 3G dongles) but lots of people have issues getting the things to work. It may just be a case of swearing at it loudly enough as you try it for the 47th time...

General Maximus
27-12-2011, 16:01
Win XP SP2

11n Dual Bond USB Adaptor - WNDA3200

Plug it in & it does not find it (so my friend says) will have to try & pop over but its miles away. Any other thoughts on this?

Does the adapter come up as a removable disc drive in explorer? If so, can you browse the drive and manually install the drivers from an exe?

JediMaster
29-12-2011, 11:00
Have you read http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/driver-and-software-for-wnda3200/td-p/406137

That suggests that the drivers are actually on the device (presumably in a CD section like 3G dongles) but lots of people have issues getting the things to work. It may just be a case of swearing at it loudly enough as you try it for the 47th time...

Thanks not seen that post, I read lots of posts on the Community site but not this one. Will give it a try over the phone with my friend...

Does the adapter come up as a removable disc drive in explorer? If so, can you browse the drive and manually install the drivers from an exe?

Will try it today if my friend is in.