PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Wired Connection SuperHub Woes!

pastyman
23-12-2011, 11:20
Ok, well I'm stumped on this one. Here's my issue. I have a home n/w with several wireless and some wired devices, my main home PC is has a wired connection to the Superhub with a static ip address. I can ping other devices on the n/w (both wired and wireless) from this main PC but I can't ping the superhub (192.168.0.1)!! Plus of course the main home PC doesn't get internet access! If I revert to DCHP on the home pc I get the infamous 169.254.x.x ip address. I've tried changing the cable to another port on the superhub and same result. Additionally, the superhub does not show ANY wired devices listed as being connected, even though I have 3 other devices connected - 1 printer using a static ip, a NAS device also using a static ip and a devolo homeplug (which I used to connect to another homeplug device which has a wireless access point - which I think is also playing up i.e. no internet if connected to this device - but haven't proved this for sure yet). The nw printer and NAS devices are accessible within the home n/w ok since they have static IP addresses . My suspicion is pointing towards the superhub... but how can I prove this and what can be done here to resolve this???

pastyman
23-12-2011, 13:38
I've rang VM had to speak to a supervisor to explain the situation as the tech support guy was wanting to say the hub is working fine and it's my home pc adapter which is at fault! Anyway, they will send a replacement shub so I can try and see if this has the same issue or not...!

Sephiroth
23-12-2011, 14:27
I would do this the belt and braces way.

1/
Set the offending PC to be fully DHCP; everything automatic.

2/
I'm assuming that some device or other can get internet access and thus 192.168.0.1. In that case, put the SH into modem mode and connect the offending PC to it either via the homeplug or directly into the first port.

3/
The PC should get onto the Internet no problem and to 192.168.100.1 where you can check your stats.

4/
In Modem Mode (Advanced Settings) you can revert to Router Mode. The SH will reset and everything including your PC should then be connected. The change of IP address that occurs will require you either to reboot your OC (and other turned on devices) or, as I do, REPAIR the network settings.

5/
It should all work and you should be able to get onto 192.168.0.1 - if you can't then the new SH is your next bet. If it didn't work in Modem Mode we'll have to have another look.

Hope that helps.

General Maximus
23-12-2011, 21:53
I know I am saying the same thing over and over again these days but here it goes:

it pains me to say it but to give it a fair chance, wait for the second hub to arrive and see if you have the same problem. I'll bet good money you do so the solution to the problem is bang it in modem mode, buy a proper router and all your problems will be solved. (Linksys will meet all your needs no sweat)