PDA

View Full Version : New VM internet security software - is it any good?

r94yan
22-12-2011, 11:17
Just wanted to know if the new security is decent or not, i know previous versions have been terrible. But recently i heard that virgin released a new one, so was wandering if it was any good?

Hugh
22-12-2011, 11:22
Thread title amended to reflect topic.

kwikbreaks
22-12-2011, 11:38
I haven't tried it but I imagine it will maintain past standards.

Andrewcrawford23
22-12-2011, 12:24
ive hada look at it, itsa improvemnt but as ait advisor i suggest avg or avast for free antivirus and spy bot malwarebtyes for maleware/spyware both are which are free malwarebtyes hasa paid otiosn as with avg and avast which gives you addiotnal things but the free edition do teh job the same as the paid ones ie virus finding and malware/spyware removal

Xtinguish
22-12-2011, 16:16
In my opinion, you can't beat the combination of Avast with Malwarebytes, plus Avast has an excellent forum where you can always get free expert advice.

Peter_
22-12-2011, 17:05
Just wanted to know if the new security is decent or not, i know previous versions have been terrible. But recently i heard that virgin released a new one, so was wandering if it was any good?

On this forums own front page http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/501/virgin-media-offers-lifetime-malware-protection

Virgin Media has announced the latest version of its internet security software – and this time it’s available free of charge to all broadband customers.

Previously only available on package L or higher, the system claims to offer enhanced protection from viruses, spyware and phishing scams. It also includes an enhanced suite of parental controls.
Virgin Media Security is based on Radialpoint and is based on Trend Micro’s Titanium system, which is cloud-based and monitors the web constantly to gather and analyse data on possible security threats from all over the world.
Titanium normally retails at around £39 per year. While VM may have foregone that particular income stream, it does hope to make money by selling an add-on called Identity Plus, which adds a range of anti-fraud and identity protection services to Virgin Media Security for £2.50 per month.

Rockabilly Spike
23-12-2011, 08:26
based on trend micro?
i was using trend until yesterday when it ran out, grabbed a 6 month full version of Eset Smart Security i found online to tide me over and hey presto...4 trojans that trend had missed and i can now run malwarebytes alongside eset as it conflicted with trend.

trend just lost my custom. major disappointment as I used to love PC Cillin back in the day

General Maximus
23-12-2011, 08:57
I look at it two ways:

1) as a general rule of thumb, if it is free it ain't worth having because you can get something else far better which will do the job properly for a few £££
2) following this reasoning and I apply the analogy to the shub. It is something VM provide for free and have done a half assed job with and you can't really moan about it because it is "free" afterall, but I wouldn't use it if you paid me too. If you paid a few £££ you could get something really decent which kicks ass over the shub. Applying this logic to something else which VM are offering for free makes me not even want to try it because I now tarnish everything VM offer with the same brush and back round we are to my first point again.

Andrewcrawford23
23-12-2011, 10:24
I look at it two ways:

1) as a general rule of thumb, if it is free it ain't worth having because you can get something else far better which will do the job properly for a few £££
2) following this reasoning and I apply the analogy to the shub. It is something VM provide for free and have done a half assed job with and you can't really moan about it because it is "free" afterall, but I wouldn't use it if you paid me too. If you paid a few £££ you could get something really decent which kicks ass over the shub. Applying this logic to something else which VM are offering for free makes me not even want to try it because I now tarnish everything VM offer with the same brush and back round we are to my first point again.

i would say that isnt true there is plenty of open source projects out there and free software not open source that doa better job than commerical products and generally are less system load hungry

BenJSmyth
23-12-2011, 11:19
In my opinion you can't beat ESET.

But to answer the OP's question, VM's security is certainly better than no security at all. I haven't tried it though as I have an ESET license to tide me over for the next three years.

Andrewcrawford23
23-12-2011, 12:18
ive got enterprise avast license so i dnt need it ;) but that only caus ei have server and linux os so normal free editions dnt work on them but i have tried all teh free editiosn i have found need to look at eset wouldnt be good to my cosumer if i dnt give them as many free alternatively as possible of course jsut now i dnt know if eset is free but i will whni look in the new know but i also recommended paid software :)

Maggy
23-12-2011, 14:18
ive got enterprise avast license so i dnt need it ;) but that only caus ei have server and linux os so normal free editions dnt work on them but i have tried all teh free editiosn i have found need to look at eset wouldnt be good to my cosumer if i dnt give them as many free alternatively as possible of course jsut now i dnt know if eset is free but i will whni look in the new know but i also recommended paid software :)

Eset's Nod32 isn't free but it is reasonable price for an AV/malware that consistently wins Virus Bulletins awards,isn't bloatware and has an absolutely fantastic support which I think beats every other AV.I've used it for years and it's done the job all of the time and when I got an error report last week their support was exceptional and my system was sorted within an hour.

I can't recommend them high enough.

Skie
23-12-2011, 16:10
I'd rather use a cheese slicer on my tongue than let anything VM have bundled together on my system, especially when its for security.

Look at how 'well' they specced out the Superhub. And they actually charge money for that...

Andrewcrawford23
23-12-2011, 16:58
I'd rather use a cheese slicer on my tongue than let anything VM have bundled together on my system, especially when its for security.

Look at how 'well' they specced out the Superhub. And they actually charge money for that...

although it is crap it is crap because of the bloatness but i better with the lastest version, when i ran teh tests it did let some things through but it safer to run it than wihtout it as it gives some protection but not he bes ton the market for freeness

Nopanic
23-12-2011, 17:14

If I were easily offended ... :redcard:

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

although it is crap it is crap because of the bloatness but i better with the lastest version, when i ran teh tests it did let some things through but it safer to run it than wihtout it as it gives some protection but not he bes ton the market for freeness

Looks like you have a problem with your keyboard .. :angel:

Andrewcrawford23
23-12-2011, 18:23
If I were easily offended ... :redcard:

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

Looks like you have a problem with your keyboard .. :angel:

read the signature :P

Nopanic
23-12-2011, 19:33
read the signature :P

I whole heartedly and sincerely apologise.

Andrewcrawford23
23-12-2011, 20:08
im use to it, people really need to learn english spoken and written isnt important as long as you can read and look aroudn what spoken or written.

as i say im use to it hence why i stuck ym tongue out :p

Peter_
23-12-2011, 20:31
im use to it, people really need to learn english spoken and written isnt important as long as you can read and look aroudn what spoken or written.

as i say im use to it hence why i stuck ym tongue out :p
I have seen your notes on accounts as well and no problem.;)

Nopanic
23-12-2011, 20:47

I've seen your notes too ..

FOB FOB FOB reboot FOB FOB FOB No issues with mine FOB FOB FOB

:D

Andrewcrawford23
23-12-2011, 21:39

ah but my lazy ones which where copied and pasted from notepad ;) since they where bog standard :o or the one i pyhiscal wrote which where complex and i couldnt use a template :O

Peter_
24-12-2011, 08:24
ah but my lazy ones which where copied and pasted from notepad ;) since they where bog standard :o or the one i pyhiscal wrote which where complex and i couldnt use a template :O
The ones you typed obviously otherwise I would not have recognised you.:rolleyes:;):)

Kymmy
24-12-2011, 08:37
Back on topic please ;)

Peter_
24-12-2011, 08:56
I personally use MSE and run scans using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and have no issues.

I have tried others but found the above worked best for me.

alferret
05-02-2012, 23:21
Installed this piece of rubbish today (just to see what it had to offer)

Never in all my years have I installed such a resource hog.
From boot to being able to use my laptop (which aint a slouch) it was taking around 25 mins +- 5.
100% CPU usage, even my mouse became unresponsive. After 3 1/2 hrs of trying to get some usability out of it I decided to remove it.

Peter_
06-02-2012, 05:38
Installed this piece of rubbish today (just to see what it had to offer)

Never in all my years have I installed such a resource hog.
From boot to being able to use my laptop (which aint a slouch) it was taking around 25 mins +- 5.
100% CPU usage, even my mouse became unresponsive. After 3 1/2 hrs of trying to get some usability out of it I decided to remove it.
To remove all traces run both of the tools below.

1. Run the UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe (http://dl01.radialpoint.net/Virgin/Uninstall/UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe) file again if it installed with out failing and needs removed again.
2. Download Spduu-4.1.16.exe (http://dl01.radialpoint.net/Virgin/Uninstall/Spduu-4.1.16.exe). Save the file somewhere that is easy to access on your machine such as the ‘Desktop’ or ‘My Documents’ folder.
3. Double click the file to run it.
4. Click Yes to confirm that you want to uninstall.
5. Restart the computer when prompted.

Pantsu-san
06-02-2012, 18:19
I personally use MSE and run scans using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and have no issues.

Running exactly the same as you and I also have not had any issues since MSE was available. Goes on every machine that I rebuild for my private customers aswell - and they've not come back to me.

:soapbox: