PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for VM to lay a new cable to our premises?

melissa1978
21-12-2011, 12:26
Hi everyone! This is my first post :-) I hope you can help.

We are in a business park, in the middle of a Yorkshire Water estate in Esholt. The Yorkshire Water Conference Center is also on the same estate.

The Internet connection that we have here is absolutely rubbish - and all of the companies here, including the Yorkshire Water Conference Center want to be on a cable connection.

I contacted VM, but ended up talking to a numpty who said it would cost "tens of millions" to lay a cable to the conference center and surrounding businesses.

Is that true? I wanted to check with the actual experts before giving up! ;-)

Many thanks for any insight you can give me.

Melissa x

Kymmy
21-12-2011, 12:51
Did you contact Virgin Media or Virgin Media Business.. If VMB then they should be more informative and also likely to do some investigating before giving a YES/NO answer.

Andrewcrawford23
21-12-2011, 17:18

We are in a business park, in the middle of a Yorkshire Water estate in Esholt. The Yorkshire Water Conference Center is also on the same estate.

The Internet connection that we have here is absolutely rubbish - and all of the companies here, including the Yorkshire Water Conference Center want to be on a cable connection.

I contacted VM, but ended up talking to a numpty who said it would cost "tens of millions" to lay a cable to the conference center and surrounding businesses.

Melissa x

Without knowing the distance to the closest virgin media poitn is it be hard to say but it does cost a lot to deploy the service outside the serviced regions

General Maximus
21-12-2011, 22:45
it doesnt cost millions and it is something they would consider if there is enough interest. There was a dude on this forum a while ago who did this exact job for VM and was asking peeps to pm him requests but I can't remember what his nick is. Either way though, I think the request would have to come from a business on the estate rather than you if they were to take it seriously because they would look at it as businesses which they were mainly doing it for.

Kursk
21-12-2011, 23:43
I think the guy is weesteev. For domestic premises you would email mailto:cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk

Although the team at cablemystreet is primarily concerned with domestic premises, it is a place to start your enquiries. They are helpful and will investigate your request - infrastructure may preclude new cable though on the grounds of cost.

raging bull
22-12-2011, 08:02
Knowing of the area of Esholt as I do, the site of the conference centre is in an isolated location.
(I don't know if Esholt village has been cabled up, I would say Thackley has.)
So that just leaves Apperley Lane, about one mile away as the crow flies.
All in all a very expensive exercise.
Although I see you have ISDN listed on your website.

Andrewcrawford23
22-12-2011, 08:42
it doesnt cost millions and it is something they would consider if there is enough interest. There was a dude on this forum a while ago who did this exact job for VM and was asking peeps to pm him requests but I can't remember what his nick is. Either way though, I think the request would have to come from a business on the estate rather than you if they were to take it seriously because they would look at it as businesses which they were mainly doing it for.

it depends on teh length if for example it 20 miles it could costs millions because fo the cost to dig up the road and the fibre tax, that is what costs the most but i dnt think ti would cost millions probally a a million tops but without details of closest virign point and place of premise it hard to say but i think the advice given was a bit misleading

Sirius
22-12-2011, 08:45

Melissa x

I have just looked on some of the systems i have and no it would not be millions but the cost would be high due to there being no build in that or the surrounding area. There would be a large amount of civils dig required to connect that area to existing network and large civils costs are normally how a build is not given the go ahead.

Your options should you wish to proceed would be to contact VM business

Andrewcrawford23
22-12-2011, 12:26
I have just looked on some of the systems i have and no it would not be millions but the cost would be high due to there being no build in that or the surrounding area. There would be a large amount of civils dig required to connect that area to existing network and large civils costs are normally how a build is not given the go ahead.

Your options should you wish to proceed would be to contact VM business

If you are the other bussiness of the park do want virign maybe after getting the quote for install you could see if you could lump together and paid for the installtion to your area this is for melissa sorry for quoting yours siruis seemed mroe revelent to wha ti was trying to say :P

roughbeast
22-12-2011, 19:00
I heard that VM were thinking of piggy-backing on BT telegraph poles to provide fibre to rural or remote areas.

Was that a genuine hope or just pie in the sky? It could certainly be a whole lot cheaper in with pole rental and the need for some below-ground cable to bridge gaps between poled areas.

Andrewcrawford23
22-12-2011, 19:46
I heard that VM were thinking of piggy-backing on BT telegraph poles to provide fibre to rural or remote areas.

Was that a genuine hope or just pie in the sky? It could certainly be a whole lot cheaper in with pole rental and the need for some below-ground cable to bridge gaps between poled areas.

virgin and other companies its a chepaer way to extend the network but they are trailing it jsut now to see if it is possible and commerical viable but they are also hopign ofcom rule agian and force the bt prices down like a lot of companies