PDA

View Full Version : 100M just rang VM to upgrade to 100mb

jimgors
20-12-2011, 17:38
Just contacted VM because, i wan't to upgrade to 100mb (give them more money). The "OVERSEAS" women told me that the upgrade will be progressed on the 20th of JANURARY. 1 month i have to wait to upgrade?

I thought you could do it over the phone and they can push the 100mb cfg into the superhub.

My current setup is 50mb with a superhub and a attentuator. and near PERFECT power levels. Is there no one i can contact in the UK, so I can get the upgrade done this week?

Cheers

Peter_
20-12-2011, 17:42
If you call in on 150 from a Virginmedia phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line and press option 5 option 2 and if you forget your password press zero then you will be able to speak to Customer Relations and advise them of your wish to upgrade now as you already have the Superhub.

You may better waiting until just after 8am tomorrow morning if the is a queue.

jimgors
20-12-2011, 17:54
Thank you, i will try.

jb66
20-12-2011, 20:00
Best way is to call retentions, stupid policy

Peter_
20-12-2011, 20:04
No one else will do anything for you easily which is why customers have to take that route.

BenMcr
20-12-2011, 20:10
Just contacted VM because, i wan't to upgrade to 100mb (give them more money). The "OVERSEAS" women told me that the upgrade will be progressed on the 20th of JANURARY. 1 month i have to wait to upgrade?

I thought you could do it over the phone and they can push the 100mb cfg into the superhub.
Nope, as far as I'm aware 100Mbit is still an engineer visit due to the need to check the signal levels

jb66
20-12-2011, 20:15
Why can't there be dedicated trained staff who can look at redtools and then decide if it can be done remotely. Or better yet post out a 6db attenuator etc, this will dramatically bring lead times down

The amount of money wasted sending techs to add a little block to a bit of coax is embarrassing, just have a look at the community forum.

"oh your signal is 8db, that's why your connections slow". Then I go out add a 6db attenuator and the connection is the same..

buckleb
20-12-2011, 21:05
Nope, as far as I'm aware 100Mbit is still an engineer visit due to the need to check the signal levels

To jb66's point. I've often wondered about this.

Going by some of the posts on the official support forums a customer's power levels can be examined remotely. Would it not be possible to do this at the point of sale, or at least as part of the provisioning process?

As I said, just wondering :)

I wasn't at home when my superhub was installed, but my wife said that the installer only swapped my old modem for a superhub and didn't actually check anything (inside the house anyway).

jimgors
20-12-2011, 23:04
I contacted retention, and within 5min's i had the 100mb cfg into my superhub with the same power levels as 50mb.

Tim Deegan
20-12-2011, 23:39
When I changed to 50mb the engineer said that the superhub can also work on 100mb. But then when I upgraded to 100mb I was told that I needed a new SH, which confused me also.

I think I remember someone saying that there was a problem with early SH's, which could explain why they wanted to change them.

philwhite100
21-12-2011, 00:16

How do you contact retentions, what is the number to call.

Peter_
21-12-2011, 05:29
How do you contact retentions, what is the number to call.
Post 2 above http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35348602-post2.html

General Maximus
21-12-2011, 17:50
No one else will do anything for you easily which is why customers have to take that route.

I am so glad you said that and no one else :)

With respect to time saving and costs though jb66 is right, it really is a joke and seems common sense they should upgrade everyone but VM can't see it. Even the dude who I spoke to in the CEOs office 2 weeks ago told me it was the new policy to upgrade over the phone and only book an engineer if there are probs afterwards.

djbenson
24-12-2011, 21:31
They REALLY need to abolish this stupid "an engineer must visit" rule as it is clear that it really ****es customers off. I went through the same thing a couple of months ago where I wanted to go from 30>50 and kept getting told an engineer would need to visit.

In the end, and out of sheer frustration, I called retentions and said I'd either like to upgrade or leave...surprisingly they upgraded me :|

I think the better option (for both parties) is to remotely upgrade then deal with issues later - my service (apart from the Burnley issues this week) has been rock solid (48.5 out of 50meg is pretty damn good) so I didn't "need" an engineer after all.

I'll probably have to go down the same route if/when I decide to go from 50>100 unless a change in policy has been adopted.

General Maximus
24-12-2011, 22:36
afaik that is VMs new policy. I had the same problem when I upgraded to 100mbit last month and when I complained a dude in the CEOs office told me that I should have been upgraded over the phone and an engineer booked only if I was having problems. Apparently it is a new policy which hadn't been fully briefed to everyone yet.

(sorry about the double post, I forgot about the previous one. It is nice to say it again though just to prove a point :) )

Nopanic
25-12-2011, 10:33
There are restrictions in place to stop certain uplifts being completed without a tech being booked .. I came across one the other day whilst messing about ... so it's more policy than agents being awkward ..

I'm not sure why it's there, but then it's not my place to ..

General Maximus
25-12-2011, 11:38

Challenge the status quo dude. Feedback is the breakfast of champions and if you never challenge anything and give your opinion then nothing will ever change. There is nothing more satisfying than questioning why we do something, offer an alterative solution and seeing it put into practise.

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 12:50
Great words, mon General.

philwhite100
25-12-2011, 12:54
So just to clarify the way i read this, an engineer visit is not required to activate the 100meg service?

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 13:09
There is no technical reason for an engineer to attend.

There is hard evidence in the forums that calling Retentions and asking for the ugrade on the spot (no attending tech) has worked (as in otherwise I might just as well go to 80 meg Infinity).

Tim Deegan
25-12-2011, 13:42
Challenge the status quo dude. Feedback is the breakfast of champions and if you never challenge anything and give your opinion then nothing will ever change. There is nothing more satisfying than questioning why we do something, offer an alterative solution and seeing it put into practise.

I agree 100%. Although it does depend on the company you work for. Some are very open to constructive criticism, and learn from it. Others will do as much as possible to silence any criticism, and blindly go on down their intended route without any regard to customer satisfaction.

It all depends which category VM fit into.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

There is no technical reason for an engineer to attend.

There is hard evidence in the forums that calling Retentions and asking for the ugrade on the spot (no attending tech) has worked (as in otherwise I might just as well go to 80 meg Infinity).

I think I mentioned this previously, but I'm sure I have heard some mention of a glitch with the first version of the superhub. This would explain why they sent an engineer to up grade me from 50mb to 100mb. And why he swapped the superhubs.

Otherwise I can't imagine any company spending more on engineer visits, and new superhubs, if there wasn't a good reason.

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 14:17
I agree 100%. Although it does depend on the company you work for. Some are very open to constructive criticism, and learn from it. Others will do as much as possible to silence any criticism, and blindly go on down their intended route without any regard to customer satisfaction.

It all depends which category VM fit into.

I think that's an easy one to answer. VM will set low thresholds for customer satisfaction and plough on until it workd.

As I've said before, their main stupidity in this context is not having a tested, paid-for, superior alternative to offer users. Clearly VM don't listen.

adzii_nufc
25-12-2011, 14:23
I was upgraded over the phone without having to ask, No engineer, Nothing. So which is it? Policy or agents just doing whatever they fancy?

ozsat
25-12-2011, 14:31
Nope, as far as I'm aware 100Mbit is still an engineer visit due to the need to check the signal levelsMy 50 to 100mb upgrade was done and completyed within a couple of minutes over the phone with a UK based CS person.

They said the modem I had was 100mb compatible so no visit was needed.

roughbeast
25-12-2011, 14:56
FFS who is on here looking at this stuff and commenting on Crimbo Day? Sad buggers. Oh! I am! :erm:

Daveoc64
25-12-2011, 17:34
Our 30->50mbps upgrade last week involved an engineer visit (despite querying this with the sales department).

He complained that he'd been to several jobs where he had to do nothing but phone the upgrade in.

We both noted that it is a complete waste of time and money for VM.

Nopanic
26-12-2011, 09:13

lol .. its nothing to do with me, doesn't even come close to my job ..

Peter_
26-12-2011, 09:17
FFS who is on here looking at this stuff and commenting on Crimbo Day? Sad buggers. Oh! I am! :erm:
Its better than most of the festive tat on the TV.

philwhite100
27-12-2011, 10:30
We are already on the VIP50 package and looking at the VM website i see that after the reduced first three months the price for 100meg is the same as 50meg, £35.00 a month.

Therefore am i right in assuming that if i upgraded to 100meg i should be paying the same price??

Ignitionnet
27-12-2011, 20:20
No. You aren't paying 35 for 50Mb on VIP50, it only costs that if you take it without a phone line.

Bundle charges

Talk International
Talk Unlimited
Talk Mobile
Call Displ
Free Voicemail
T V Size: X L
1 Additional V Box
V HD Monthly Fee
V+ HD Monthly Fee
XXL 50Mb
Phone, TV & Broadband Saving

Bundle charges total

£53.11

philwhite100
27-12-2011, 21:22
Well this is where i saw it.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html

Nopanic
28-12-2011, 08:40
Well this is where i saw it.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html

With a Virgin Phone Line

£35 a month*

*Plus a Virgin Phone line for £13.90 a month
18 month contract

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

Not sure if the VIP package removes that offer ..

Chrysalis
28-12-2011, 13:54
There are restrictions in place to stop certain uplifts being completed without a tech being booked .. I came across one the other day whilst messing about ... so it's more policy than agents being awkward ..

Why dont you take it up with your superiors and tell them its making customers angry?

Ignitionnet
28-12-2011, 14:25
Well played to whomever typo'd the page there.

50Mb is 25 quid a month if taken with a phone line, 35 without, just as 100Mb is 35 with and 45 without, 30Mb 18.50 with, 28.50 without.

Understand the confusion but that's basically it, VM directly or via an outsourced web team messing around with the web pages unnecessarily and not proof reading. Still it's nothing major, just a price that's wrong :)

Nopanic
28-12-2011, 17:30
Why dont you take it up with your superiors and tell them its making customers angry?

Different chain of command .. I'd have to go over to another part of the business and tell them I don't think they are doing their job correctly .. can't see that going down well :D

They have it in place because they believe it provides a better customer experience.. at the end of the day it actually costs VM money, so they don't do it for fun.

Jameseh
28-12-2011, 17:47
Any idea if the 20>30 with Superhub requires a bloke?

I'd rather buy the Superhub for my 20 then ring to upgrade than have someone trawl down here for the 3 minutes it will take.

thenry
28-12-2011, 17:55
30's are self install mate no tech unless you need him to fix something.

Nopanic
28-12-2011, 19:11
30's are self install mate no tech unless you need him to fix something.

I'm not sure that's correct .. I think moving to 30/50/100 requires a tech from the lower speeds .. well I know it doesn't, but I think that's how they process it .. anyone about who works in the centres?

General Maximus
28-12-2011, 19:28
I think they send a tech out anyway because they like to waste time and money. They insisted a tech came out when i upgraded from 50 to 100 and i didnt need one. I think they are just going to end up peeing everyone off with ridiculous waiting times if they insist on booking engineers up needlessly

Chrysalis
28-12-2011, 19:28
Different chain of command .. I'd have to go over to another part of the business and tell them I don't think they are doing their job correctly .. can't see that going down well :D

They have it in place because they believe it provides a better customer experience.. at the end of the day it actually costs VM money, so they don't do it for fun.

fair enough, also I posted that before reading your other reply sorry.

Mick Fisher
28-12-2011, 19:32
I'm not sure that's correct .. I think moving to 30/50/100 requires a tech from the lower speeds .. well I know it doesn't, but I think that's how they process it .. anyone about who works in the centres?
20meg to 30meg was a self install for me.

Hugh
28-12-2011, 19:37
Me, too, back when it first came out....

Chrysalis
28-12-2011, 19:42
it was also for me and I ordered it the first day was possible. There is obviously some sort of flag that sets off the process for tech install but we dont know what that is.

Tim Deegan
28-12-2011, 21:36

Well they will never know otherwise if they don't get any feedback.

Peter_
28-12-2011, 21:45
30Mb in the majority of cases is Self Install and costs £30, in relatively few cases it may require a manned install but apart from the £30 to upgrade that is free of charge.

Nopanic
28-12-2011, 22:03
20meg to 30meg was a self install for me.

Me, too, back when it first came out....

it was also for me and I ordered it the first day was possible. There is obviously some sort of flag that sets off the process for tech install but we dont know what that is.

Fair enough

Well they will never know otherwise if they don't get any feedback.

So feedback then .. give them a call and tell them ..

General Maximus
28-12-2011, 22:23
i know it sounds stupid dude but it isnt about telling them they are doing things wrong, it is all about helping them out. When I feel strongly about something where I work I don't hesitate to ring people and tell them what I think. Every now and again I make myself look like a wolly but more often than not I get the "well we did this because ........." speech and their reasoning sounds great, but then I say "yeah but ............" and it is something they havent considered. Nobody is perfect and it is always nice to have a different perspective on things. You tend to find that people who do the same job day in day out get into a set way of thinking and sometimes it takes sombody from the outside to change their train of thought. You are in the perfect position to help everyone because you are sort of on the outside but still on the inside which means you can directly contact people and know who to talk to to make things happen. You should take advantage of your position because you can do more by yourself than everyone on this forum put together probably.

Tim Deegan
28-12-2011, 22:41
Fair enough

Feedback is always more effective if it comes from a member of staff, who tells them "quite a few people have suggested .......".

Skie
29-12-2011, 00:19
Virgin sounds like a smashing company if they dont appreciate feedback from their own staff on ways of saving money.

Nopanic
29-12-2011, 08:47
i know it sounds stupid dude but it isnt about telling them they are doing things wrong, it is all about helping them out. When I feel strongly about something where I work I don't hesitate to ring people and tell them what I think. Every now and again I make myself look like a wolly but more often than not I get the "well we did this because ........." speech and their reasoning sounds great, but then I say "yeah but ............" and it is something they havent considered. Nobody is perfect and it is always nice to have a different perspective on things. You tend to find that people who do the same job day in day out get into a set way of thinking and sometimes it takes sombody from the outside to change their train of thought. You are in the perfect position to help everyone because you are sort of on the outside but still on the inside which means you can directly contact people and know who to talk to to make things happen. You should take advantage of your position because you can do more by yourself than everyone on this forum put together probably.

That's beautiful ... brought a tear to my eye :D

Feedback is always more effective if it comes from a member of staff, who tells them "quite a few people have suggested .......".

Problem is they have this process in place because of figures suggesting customers with upgrades call in within a certain time due to signal issues .. (or so I would assume) .. my opinion is valued sure, but I would need to provide a business case to make a change to the processes, (considering its not my area)

Virgin sounds like a smashing company if they dont appreciate feedback from their own staff on ways of saving money.

Of course they appreciate feedback, you're putting words into my mouth .. and they taste a bit sour ..

You're basically asking me to go out of my way to give feedback on a issue that doesn't affect me or have anything to do with my job role, when you wont give that feedback yourself ?

---------- Post added at 08:47 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

Start a thread on the VM forums and tell the official support team what you think .. get as many people as you can to agree, they can then address it through the correct channels.

At this rate I'll just make the change and see if anyone notices :D

General Maximus
29-12-2011, 08:56
You're basically asking me to go out of my way to give feedback on a issue that doesn't affect me or have anything to do with my job role, when you wont give that feedback yourself

I think the reason why we are having this conversation is because most people feel their feedback gets ignored which is why we are looking to inside man :D

Peter_
29-12-2011, 09:08
I think the reason why we are having this conversation is because most people feel their feedback gets ignored which is why we are looking to inside man :D
You would have to go through the community forum in order for any feedback to be given as any other way would involve a breaching DPA and it is not worth it with regards to our jobs, this is also why we never accept PM's asking for help.

Nopanic
29-12-2011, 09:29

You're making me feel guilty now .. I'm trying to think who would be the best team to speak to .. my counterparts would design and make the change, but the request would have to come from the business..

Thinking about it actually, it would be better coming from the field, one of the techs that post here. They are best placed to backup the feedback with fact.

I'll see if I can find someone in customer experience to look into it ..

Chrysalis
29-12-2011, 16:35
Fair enough

The problem is the chances of feedback getting from the call centre guy to someone who has a clue and the power to do something about it is quite low. There is probably even a low probability of the feedback getting logged at all.

General Maximus
29-12-2011, 17:38
The problem is the chances of feedback getting from the call centre guy to someone who has a clue and the power to do something about it is quite low. There is probably even a low probability of the feedback getting logged at all.

yup, my point exactly

Nopanic
29-12-2011, 18:27

Ok yeah, point taken .. but the forums are a good way to make a public point.

Obviously be polite and put across your views with technical reasoning ..

Sephiroth
31-12-2011, 11:06
There is a conduit on the Community Forum for feedback to be provided to VM and responses received from above - via the Forum Manager. So I feel I'm being listened to (when I make suggestion which isn't often).

philwhite100
01-01-2012, 11:20
I see that VM have ammended the prices on their website now as 50meg is now £25p/m and 100meg is £35p/m instead of them both being £35p/m as shown before.

Hugh
01-01-2012, 11:29
Can I ask where?

50Mb is showing at £25 here http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html

And 100Mb as £35 here http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-100mb.html

(with a phone line and an 18 month contract)

craigj2k12
01-01-2012, 12:04
Can I ask where?

50Mb is showing at £25 here http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html

And 100Mb as £35 here http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-100mb.html

(with a phone line and an 18 month contract)

you might want to re-read his post as you have both said the same figures :D

Hugh
01-01-2012, 12:14
Doh!

That would be the five hours sleep......:D

craigj2k12
01-01-2012, 12:24
so you had a good new year then!! :)

General Maximus
01-01-2012, 13:14
Does anyone know what is going to happen with regards to billing for current customers who are still paying the extra £10/month, pressumably making it £45?

Peter_
01-01-2012, 21:24
Does anyone know what is going to happen with regards to billing for current customers who are still paying the extra £10/month, pressumably making it £45?
They have a contract term at an agreed price that has to be fulfilled, but it is very likely that the is little actual difference in price once you look at the small print.

General Maximus
01-01-2012, 21:32
I got myself a bit confused. If I am paying £35/month for 100mbit atm and then all the 50mbit users paying £25 get upgraded to 100mbit, what happens to all of us paying £35?

RB2004
01-01-2012, 21:43
Probably price will drop to 50mbit price once 50mbit customers are upgraded to 100mbit, then the current price being paid by 100mbit customers will be the price of the new 200mbit tier that is likely to launch this year

Peter_
01-01-2012, 21:54
I got myself a bit confused. If I am paying £35/month for 100mbit atm and then all the 50mbit users paying £25 get upgraded to 100mbit, what happens to all of us paying £35?
Are you in contract? if the answer is yes then you pay the price on your contract until your contract term period is up then you can ask for a better deal.

Zhadnost
04-01-2012, 09:19
I signed up the morning that 50Mbit became available here. (took a couple calls to find a rep that agreed it was available).

I pay £28 for 50Mbit and £13.90 for line rental, I'm pretty sure that I'm out of contract now.

Doesn't seem like a lot more than new customers, but still a bit.

kwikbreaks
04-01-2012, 09:30
You should realise that VM will not voluntarily reduce your price - you have to call retentions to maintain your price at the same level as new customers. Of course doing so will probably lock you in for another 12 months.

Zhadnost
04-01-2012, 10:35
I'm aware of that, just not sure that I want to atm.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 11:39
You should realise that VM will not voluntarily reduce your price - you have to call retentions to maintain your price at the same level as new customers. Of course doing so will probably lock you in for another 12 months.

that the reason i wont get my price reduced i dnt want locked intoa new 12 month contract, i coudl save a lot but to me cause im out of contract if i really needed to save money i just phone up and cancel and pay no fee so to say, well maybe a cancelationf ee but not the fee of the remaining of the contract

General Maximus
04-01-2012, 12:38

But what about when they bump all the 50mbit peeps up to 100mbit? Surely they have got to automatically reduce the price we are paying by £10 otherwise we are going to be penalised for actually wanting the faster service when those who dont want it will essentially be getting it for free

Peter_
04-01-2012, 12:41
But what about when they bump all the 50mbit peeps up to 100mbit? Surely they have got to automatically reduce the price we are paying by £10 otherwise we are going to be penalised for actually wanting the faster service when those who dont want it will essentially be getting it for free
If you are out of contract at that point then ring up and ask about a reduction in price.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 13:03
If you are out of contract at that point then ring up and ask about a reduction in price.

so if oyu ask for reduciton in price to reflect change to pricing strucure you wont be put ontoa new 12 month contract? cause i am pretty sure one of the element on my bill has came down in price due to some change so it be good to knwo if ic an savea little money without a new contract

Peter_
04-01-2012, 13:23
so if oyu ask for reduciton in price to reflect change to pricing strucure you wont be put ontoa new 12 month contract? cause i am pretty sure one of the element on my bill has came down in price due to some change so it be good to knwo if ic an savea little money without a new contract
I expect a reduction would entail a new contract but as I said in an earlier post if you are in contract then you will probably pay the agreed price until the end date.

Ignitionnet
04-01-2012, 13:26

Yes, automatic reduction, retiering.

General Maximus
04-01-2012, 17:31
well that is just pants (I do want to swear but I have already had a warning).

So basically VM are saying that if you want and request the service you have got to pay for it, but if you dont want it, they'll give it to you at no extra cost.

That is a great way of doing things and I don't know how they expect anyone to sign up for new services. I won't pay and upgrade to 200mbit when it it is rolled out, I'll just wait to get it for free.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 17:56

So basically VM are saying that if you want and request the service you have got to pay for it, but if you dont want it, they'll give it to you at no extra cost.

That is a great way of doing things and I don't know how they expect anyone to sign up for new services. I won't pay and upgrade to 200mbit when it it is rolled out, I'll just wait to get it for free.

that is the best way to do it, the one that upgrade are the ones wanting the bandwwidht to downlaod quicker

General Maximus
04-01-2012, 18:39
I can't believe you just said that. So when everyone goes "wehey, I have just been upgraded lets download loads of stuff", I am the one paying for it.

If you believe they are not going to benefit from 100mbit and use it to it's full potential then VM shouldnt be upgrading them.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 18:43
I can't believe you just said that. So when everyone goes "wehey, I have just been upgraded lets download loads of stuff", I am the one paying for it.

If you believe they are not going to benefit from 100mbit and use it to it's full potential then VM shouldnt be upgrading them.

if you want something premium you pay for it simple, you could possible argue well im paying the same price as 200mb when it ocmes out and ask for upgrade

why ar ethey upgrading because they want to advertise that is standard speed since bt fttp is now starting to take pace as well as some other fibre solution some offering 1gbit speeds so if people get more for hter emoeny there more liekly to stay that why it was come place for free upgrades years ago but the market stagnated with adsl and virgin had the market with 50mb at that poitn so no point in upgrades but now they need to to keep up with bt and such

General Maximus
04-01-2012, 18:51
i am saying nothing otherwise i will overload the swear filter

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 19:06
its nothing against you, i am just takinga neutral stance on it and i see your point and i see virgin point
hence why i said your best waiting for hte free upgrqade as 100mb will upgrade to 200mb within 1-2 years and 400mb will come out, and 400mb will go to around 1gbitish i doubt 1.5gbit because that will require virgin supplying 10gbit cards which will eb cheaper then will still cost about £100 compared to about £4000 just now i mean pc ones just incase someone tries to point something that there cost more than that ;)

if virgin never upgraded people and bt come along with 80mb for cheaper what do you think people will go for? it common sense annoying as someoen liek yourself who adopted early

Ignitionnet
04-01-2012, 20:25

I'm unsure if you understood my post.

Your price will automatically drop as your tier of service will be changed. XXL will become 100Mb, you'll be regraded from 100Mb to XXL.

VM have always done this - look at the 10Mb service, this is currently the lowest tier VM offer as standard, remember when it was the highest? VM have always and will always do speed uplifts, it's your call whether you upgrade tier of service or await the free upgrades until your tier becomes the same speed as the top one, either way this is nothing new.

philwhite100
04-01-2012, 23:54
I will just wait to be upgraded for free as our 50meg is more than fast enough for what we need at the moment.
I do on occasion download the odd game of about 7gig so 50meg is ideal for us.

jgrove
05-01-2012, 14:27
I will just wait to be upgraded for free as our 50meg is more than fast enough for what we need at the moment.
I do on occasion download the odd game of about 7gig so 50meg is ideal for us.

I think you may be waiting a while for that, if they re-align it will be for those on much lower products, not those on the 2 premium ones that is 50 and 100meg. These 2 customer types will always pay more for a "better" service, so there is no financial motive for regrading those types of customer. This would also apply if VM were to finally get to 200 meg connections.

craigj2k12
05-01-2012, 14:34
I think you may be waiting a while for that, if they re-align it will be for those on much lower products, not those on the 2 premium ones that is 50 and 100meg. These 2 customer types will always pay more for a "better" service, so there is no financial motive for regrading those types of customer. This would also apply if VM were to finally get to 200 meg connections.

please read before posting, all 50mbit customers are being upgraded to 100mbit for free

Sephiroth
05-01-2012, 14:50
... and not only that, if they weren't they'd be off to BT Infinity who are upgrading their cutomers from 40 to 80 meg. Get it?

Dave42
05-01-2012, 14:50
please read before posting, all 50mbit customers are being upgraded to 100mbit for free

where you get that from love it to be true

tweetiepooh
05-01-2012, 14:58
Surely this is just the same as buying a DVD. If you want the latest blockbuster release as it's released you pay more than if you wait until it's on the bargain shelf in the supermarket. Same product but those who want it immediately pay more.

In effect you are paying to "push in" so to speak and get it first. Also (possibly) you may be paying for dedicated support lines until the product is handled by the routine call centre.

jgrove
05-01-2012, 14:59

I have and its all "hear say" and "rumour" nothing more, and it makes little sense financial to VM as they can benefit from a 2 tier premium service as apposed to one.

If you have concrete facts then please post and none of the posts in this thread make any reference to VM upgrading 50meg users to 100meg!

craigj2k12
05-01-2012, 15:06
where you get that from love it to be true

got it from the fact that it is true ;)

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

I have and its all "hear say" and "rumour" nothing more, and it makes little sense financial to VM as they can benefit from a 2 tier premium service as apposed to one.

If you have concrete facts then please post and none of the posts in this thread make any reference to VM upgrading 50meg users to 100meg!

its not rumour, its confirmed, and backed up by the fact that VM have emailed many 50mbit users saying their speed will be doubled for free

oh and there is a lot of "reference" to the free upgrade in this thread, posts #65 #66 #72 #76 #84 amongst others

As discussed in other threads, VM are changing a lot of their tiers, and the 2 premium products you speak of will be 100 & 200 not 50 and 100

BenMcr
05-01-2012, 15:09
and the 2 premium products you speak of will be 100 & 200 not 50 and 100
I have seen no mention of a 200Mbit product anywhere, can you point to the VM press release where they've announced the launch of a 200Mbit product?

jgrove
05-01-2012, 15:12
got it from the fact that it is true ;)

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

its not rumour, its confirmed, and backed up by the fact that VM have emailed many 50mbit users saying their speed will be doubled for free

oh and there is a lot of "reference" to the free upgrade in this thread, posts #65 #66 #72 #76 #84 amongst others

As discussed in other threads, VM are changing a lot of their tiers, and the 2 premium products you speak of will be 100 & 200 not 50 and 100

"Reference" does not mean that it is actually happening, there maybe many reasons as to why one user might get an upgrade for the same cost. Where as someone else wouldn't. Reference does not mean its the policy of VM. I have also not seen any mention of 200mb testing, so i am unsure where your getting your facts from.

craigj2k12
05-01-2012, 15:17
the 200mbit is rumour, however the 50 to 100 is confirmed

jgrove
05-01-2012, 15:28
the 200mbit is rumour, however the 50 to 100 is confirmed

Where is it confirmed then? I have not seen any VM Press Release about it, its only rumour, reference and hear say nothing more.

craigj2k12
05-01-2012, 15:33
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33683556-speed-doubling.html

jgrove
05-01-2012, 15:39
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33683556-speed-doubling.html

Yeah so its not policy and its not going to happen across the product range, the user was "handpicked" and it would seem to be a one off when his/her area came online with 100mb. So like i said in my original response, its not a change to the product packages or something that will happen to all 50meg users, its simply one lucky individual that VM has blessed with a new year gift when his/her area comes online.

Sephiroth
05-01-2012, 15:42
Yes it will happen to all 50 meg users or they'll be off to BT Infinity (as I said before). And I'm not going to tell you the authoritative inside source.

jgrove
05-01-2012, 15:55
Yes it will happen to all 50 meg users or they'll be off to BT Infinity (as I said before). And I'm not going to tell you the authoritative inside source.

That all depends on the BT Infinity roll out program and the cost, so while you may have heard it from an inside source its just a rumour.

As far as i can tell the speeds that are "actually" available on Infinity are a slower than the current offerings by VM.

Sephiroth
05-01-2012, 16:15
That all depends on the BT Infinity roll out program and the cost, so while you may have heard it from an inside source its just a rumour.

As far as i can tell the speeds that are "actually" available on Infinity are a slower than the current offerings by VM.

Whatever.

Andrewcrawford23
05-01-2012, 16:21
"Reference" does not mean that it is actually happening, there maybe many reasons as to why one user might get an upgrade for the same cost. Where as someone else wouldn't. Reference does not mean its the policy of VM. I have also not seen any mention of 200mb testing, so i am unsure where your getting your facts from.

you must have been ina comma then ;) virign have been testing 200mb prior to 100mb launch

Peter_
05-01-2012, 16:44
let me google that for you (http://bit.ly/w0VR1f);)

Ignitionnet
05-01-2012, 17:42
... and not only that, if they weren't they'd be off to BT Infinity who are upgrading their cutomers from 40 to 80 meg. Get it?

Are you sure BT are doing this? I'm aware of the 80Mb product being released by Openreach but wasn't aware of a free upgrade for Infinity customers.

kwikbreaks
05-01-2012, 18:41
As far as i can tell the speeds that are "actually" available on Infinity are a slower than the current offerings by VM.Not in the umpteen oversubscribed VM areas they aren't. If it was available to me today I'd be gone.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Are you sure BT are doing this? I'm aware of the 80Mb product being released by Openreach but wasn't aware of a free upgrade for Infinity customers.
I doubt it will be a free upgrade as they are selling it as a separate product on their website.

davidthornton
09-01-2012, 05:39
I doubt it will be a free upgrade as they are selling it as a separate product on their website.

I don't believe 80/20 will be a free upgrade either, after reading this (http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefingsarticles/nga03511.do) about it (third bullet point). Still no firm dates on when it'll be available.

qasdfdsaq
09-01-2012, 23:34
I tested 200mb broadband. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

In fact I have no intention of supplying more than 40mb in the near future.

And no, Infinity's 40mb download isn't "as fast" as VM's 50mb but is faster in many other ways (e.g. double the upload). 80mb FTTC *will* be faster than VM's 50mb in almost every way measureable, including download speed hence VM feeling the need to compete by hiking 50mb up to 100 and 30mb to 60. VM's product will still remain inferior if you care about anything beside headline downstream speed, but alas the majority of the UK public don't even care about that.

thenry
10-01-2012, 00:46
surely not? VM can improve and will in my opinion. why go through all the trouble that they're going through not to top broadband as a whole?

Sephiroth
10-01-2012, 00:53
qasi's got a point. VM isn't FTTC; it's FTTN which means splitting the nodes out to the green cabinets. Infinity doesn't do that. It's 288 users per cabinet per fibre pair. That siad, Infinity customers suffer with distance from the street cabinet. So it may be swings/roundabouts to the extent that qas has stated.

thenry
10-01-2012, 01:00
what the VM cab upgrades in progress, there must be something there to improve the service ?

gwilliams51025
10-01-2012, 01:35
Why can't there be dedicated trained staff who can look at redtools and then decide if it can be done remotely. Or better yet post out a 6db attenuator etc, this will dramatically bring lead times down

The amount of money wasted sending techs to add a little block to a bit of coax is embarrassing, just have a look at the community forum.

"oh your signal is 8db, that's why your connections slow". Then I go out add a 6db attenuator and the connection is the same..

Well it will help it NOT slow down.
Are you aware of noise in the slope of the signal between the high end and low end ?
Adding this simulator/attenuator/equaliser will reduce the slope and reduce the noise thus (in theory) better service
If its the same speed try using your own programmes. If there slow it's your comp

Chrysalis
10-01-2012, 03:08
Well it will help it NOT slow down.
Are you aware of noise in the slope of the signal between the high end and low end ?
Adding this simulator/attenuator/equaliser will reduce the slope and reduce the noise thus (in theory) better service
If its the same speed try using your own programmes. If there slow it's your comp

in regards to jb66 points it is a waste of tech's time but it could well be delaying tactics by VM. It costs money to send out techs but i am assuming its cheaper to send out a tech than to do upgrades to fix congestion. Maybe some speed issues are caused by power levels, but I dont think many are. I have tried my connection from about -10 all the way up to +11 on power and it made zilch affect on my speeds, it just affected T3 timeouts and modem drops.

General Maximus
10-01-2012, 07:58

ya, i can't remeber where but i have defo read that they are upgrading everyone for free on two different sites. One was before xmas when they first announced it and the second one was very recently. Links were provided in this forum somewhere.

euroscooby
10-01-2012, 17:18
I called VM today to check that an engineer to add a v+ box was still scheduled. Whilst confirming he was (no it was not showing in My Virgin Media) she mentioned I could upgrade to 100mb. For nothing. So I did. Engineer coming on Thursday apparently.

General Maximus
10-01-2012, 17:53
I called VM today to check that an engineer to add a v+ box was still scheduled. Whilst confirming he was (no it was not showing in My Virgin Media) she mentioned I could upgrade to 100mb. For nothing. So I did. Engineer coming on Thursday apparently.

what modem have you got atm?

euroscooby
10-01-2012, 17:54
what modem have you got atm?

Superhub using 50MB

General Maximus
10-01-2012, 18:01
Superhub

bummer. Although you have only got to wait 2 days she should have upgraded you over the phone in 2 secs

BenMcr
10-01-2012, 18:10
bummer. Although you have only got to wait 2 days she should have upgraded you over the phone in 2 secs100Mbit is engineer install only (or supposed to be) - even if you've got an existing SuperHub. I've not seen any brief to say otherwise.

Which means any agent upgrading customers over the phone isn't doing their job right

General Maximus
10-01-2012, 18:14
I can't help but laugh. When I rang up to upgrade to 100mbit and wanted it doing over the phone I was told that i had to have an engineer out and when I asked why other peeps were being upgraded over the phone they said it was because those people already had shubs and I needed an engineer to bring me one (even though I said I didnt want one). And then when I spoke to the dude in the CEOs office he told me everyone should be upgraded over the phone and an engineer booked only if there was a problem afterwards.

That is 3 people telling 3 different stories (including yourself) so who is right? You, retentions or the CEO's office?

Diablotf
11-01-2012, 12:24
I just ordered the 100mbit and was told an engineer was to come out. Then I read this thread. Called them back and told the lady at the other end I have a superhub already and do I really need an engineer to come out.

She said as far as she knows they've had some problems with certain houses when upgrading to 100mbit and the power levels not being correct. So that's why an engineer had to come out in case it needed adjusting after the upgrade.

Whilst I prefer it have been done over the phone, I can wait a few days and have the peace of mind that at least the power levels will be correct.

Skie
11-01-2012, 12:27
If they check them. Most wont. If it connects and loads a website its job done and back in the van.

Diablotf
11-01-2012, 12:30
If they check them. Most wont. If it connects and loads a website its job done and back in the van.

I'll do my homework before he comes and double check the Power levels myself if I have to before he leaves. Thanks for the heads up.

qasdfdsaq
11-01-2012, 13:23
You can already check the power levels right now. Upgrading to 100mb will make no difference to your signal or power levels whatsoever. Nada.

Sephiroth
11-01-2012, 13:36
When I upgraded from 20meg (legacy) to 50 meg (overlay), on the same tap point, my power level as reported rose from 3 dBmv to 7 dBmv. Whether that's misreporting by the modem, or attenuation inside the old modem, I don't know.

qasdfdsaq
11-01-2012, 15:41
He already has a Superhub so one would assume he's already on 30 or 50mb overlay.

Sephiroth
11-01-2012, 19:30
It's a load of gollox, isn't it? When they free upgrade all the 50 megs to 100 megs, they'll just send up a new config file. Simples.