PDA

View Full Version : Superhub SuperHub becomes standard kit

BenMcr
19-12-2011, 12:51
Just a heads up to everyone

From this Wednesday 21st the SuperHub becomes the standard kit for all customers taking broadband and upgrading.

The VMDG280 (D2 Hub) will still be used for fault swaps where available, however eventually the SuperHub will be supplied for fault swaps too

thenry
19-12-2011, 15:00
good :D

jb66
19-12-2011, 15:21
Should have been one kit from day 1!

thenry
19-12-2011, 15:35
yup, better late than never I guess

djfunkdup
19-12-2011, 15:40
Should have been one kit from day 1!

What a silly thing to say...are you on the festive wine early ? :p:

kit needs upgraded for lots of different reasons,the network it's connected to evolves and in turn so does the kit connected to it..
if we followed your way of thinking then cars would still have stone wheels :D

jb66
19-12-2011, 15:45
I think the fact the hub was only out for 1 year shows how 'future proof' it was. The price between the hub s can't be that much and the cost of refurbishing old hubs when they upgrade to xl costs too

BenMcr
19-12-2011, 16:09
I have a feeling the D2 was always planned to be a interim solution. It's why it was basically the stock Netgear design and interface compared with the custom design of the SuperHub

greyhairbadger
19-12-2011, 18:43
This isn't a bad thing at all.

I won't be sorry to see the back of the VMDG280, if only because it is a lot easier to advise relegating the Superhub into bridge mode, when compared to talking people through configuring a third party router as a wireless access point and placing it within the VMDG280 subnet.

Speaking of which, does anybody know how this affects development and deployment of firmware for the VMDG280? I know a few people are desperately awaiting modem mode for their Hubs.

Phil.

thenry
19-12-2011, 18:47
an incentive to upgrade to a SH?

Skie
19-12-2011, 18:51
So its no longer "Super" (was it ever? :p)

General Maximus
19-12-2011, 19:05
So its no longer "Super" (was it ever? :p)

yeah, it defo needs downgrading to "hub" status and then they can make something which is actually worthy of the name

Jameseh
19-12-2011, 19:16
Does this mean the 20MB>30MB upgrade charge of £30 is now scrapped?

jb66
19-12-2011, 19:27
Will virgin now bother with bridge mode on it?

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

If you already have a superhub, then yes, if no then you'll still need one

Chrysalis
19-12-2011, 20:07
make sense, this raises a couple of questions tho.

will docsis1 configs be made for the superhub if bottom tier customers are getting it, if not will all new customers on the superhub on the bottom tier be put on docsis3.

BenMcr
19-12-2011, 20:20
Considering that customers on BB S/M and L have always been able to get the SuperHub for a fee then I would assume approriate configuration settings are already available for each of them

Anyway isn't D3 just basically D2 with channel bonding (which wouldn't be required for the bottom tiers)?

jb66
19-12-2011, 20:52
Next virgin should abolish Tech installs for 50Meg and 100meg for folk already with a superhub

Peter_
19-12-2011, 21:16
make sense, this raises a couple of questions tho.

will docsis1 configs be made for the superhub if bottom tier customers are getting it, if not will all new customers on the superhub on the bottom tier be put on docsis3.
If you are on a 10Mb or 20Mb tier and you are given a Superhub it automatically tunes to the relevant Cisco 10/12 or Motorola CMTS they do not tune to the VXR7200 CMTS's which now seem to be getting replaced as we see fewer of them.

Daveoc64
20-12-2011, 01:01
Next virgin should abolish Tech installs for 50Meg and 100meg for folk already with a superhub

How would the config file know where to go without an engineer pointing the way?

thenry
20-12-2011, 01:36
MAC address?

Peter_
20-12-2011, 06:30
How would the config file know where to go without an engineer pointing the way?
You speed can be changed by Customer Services simply by putting the correct code on your account and sending a provisioning signal to your modem, takes literally seconds and a reboot.

roughbeast
20-12-2011, 09:02
if we followed your way of thinking then cars would still have stone wheels :D

Correction. Cars never had stone wheels, not even the Lada.

Hugh
20-12-2011, 09:19
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/12/29.jpg

;)

roughbeast
20-12-2011, 11:00
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/12/29.jpg

;)

Brilliant. :LOL:

djfunkdup
20-12-2011, 11:47
Correction. Cars never had stone wheels, not even the Lada.

lol thanks for pointing that out :p: i really was hoping i would have got away with that one :D:D:D

v0id
20-12-2011, 13:55

The same as when they posted Superhubs out for the 20 > 30Mbps upgrade perhbaps.
Via the phone activation, they already have the MAC on file

gba93
20-12-2011, 15:00

Any news on this yet ?

BenMcr
20-12-2011, 15:03
Any news on this yet ?There is no change to the fees

gba93
20-12-2011, 16:02
There is no change to the fees

Thanks for the quick response :)

BEE84
20-12-2011, 16:40
Bad news,
I've had the superhub and it's rubbish. Wireless performance/signal and reliability is horrible compared to the standard VMDG280 kit.

Cue a lot more complaints about it.
A lot more effort + £££ has to go on the internals if VM ever release a premium SuperDooperHub in the future rather than the design.

djfunkdup
20-12-2011, 16:44
Bad news,
I've had the superhub and it's rubbish. Wireless performance/signal and reliability is horrible compared to the standard VMDG280 kit.

Cue a lot more complaints about it.
A lot more effort + £££ has to go on the internals if VM ever release a premium SuperDooperHub in the future rather than the design.

The superhub is fine and works well..if you need/want better wireless performance then put it in modem only mode and use your own router :p:

jb66
20-12-2011, 16:57
The superhub is fine and works well..if you need/want better wireless performance then put it in modem only mode and use your own router :p:

How can you say its fine when my dlink615 issues all over it, it's a piece of junk

BEE84
20-12-2011, 17:00

That's the thing though.
This so called Superhub was "supposed" to be super. It's got hub in it's name for a reason but frankly didn't live up to it. The 280's a real SuperHub:cool:
The modem mode is a workaround to problems that should never had come about for a premium product.
I've gone back to the hub so was just ranting really :monkey:

djfunkdup
20-12-2011, 17:08
How can you say its fine when my dlink615 issues all over it, it's a piece of junk

how can i say its fine......quite easily..

'it's fine'

listen m8 you have been having issues...that is you not me..i have been having no issues with it...so in my opinion it is fine..i do not use wireless.all my devices are hardwired.as i said if you are having problems or issues with wireless then use the hub in modem mode and use your own router..

apart from the wireless issues with the hub it works fine ...stop moaning you sound like a little girl :p:

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

I've gone back to the hub so was just ranting really :monkey:

lol just lol.... what was the point then posting haha :D:D

it's a funny old world we live in init :D

jb66
20-12-2011, 17:12
I don't want to use my router, I want a SUPER hub

djfunkdup
20-12-2011, 17:27
lol jb you are adamant man..... i will give you that :p:

i can't fault you there :D just keep using your d-link and live in peace :D

BEE84
20-12-2011, 17:32
lol just lol.... what was the point then posting haha :D:D

it's a funny old world we live in init :D

Keep on lol-ing u wally :D
I love a good ole rant me!:mad:

Daveoc64
20-12-2011, 17:45
You speed can be changed by Customer Services simply by putting the correct code on your account and sending a provisioning signal to your modem, takes literally seconds and a reboot.

I see my attempt at sarcasm failed horribly!

Of course they could do that.

I'm waiting in tomorrow for the engineer to upgrade me from 30 to 50mbps.

I expect they'll have to do NOTHING other than call it in.

We've been through many speed upgrades in the past that used only a config file change:

512kbps->1mbps, 1->2, 2->4, 4->10, 10-> 20

johnholmes
24-12-2011, 06:48
Just a heads up to everyone

From this Wednesday 21st the SuperHub becomes the standard kit for all customers taking broadband and upgrading.

The VMDG280 (D2 Hub) will still be used for fault swaps where available, however eventually the SuperHub will be supplied for fault swaps too

Did this actually happen?

Because the website has not been updated.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html

Maybe VM are just slow to update their site.

Peter_
24-12-2011, 09:21
Did this actually happen?

Because the website has not been updated.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html

Maybe VM are just slow to update their site.
I doubt all standard hubs have been taken from installers, so I think in the interim some customers will still receive the standard hub on the lower tier as with when we swapped over to the hubs from the Ambit 256, some customers were still installed with them for a week or two.

General Maximus
24-12-2011, 09:38
I doubt all standard hubs have been taken from installers, so I think in the interim some customers will still receive the standard hub on the lower tier as with when we swapped over to the hubs from the Ambit 256, some customers were still installed with them for a week or two.

yup, and then when they get given a shub instead of a normal hub then it is just an added "bonus" (or super screw over depending which way you want to look at it :) )

Peter_
24-12-2011, 10:13
yup, and then when they get given a shub instead of a normal hub then it is just an added "bonus" (or super screw over depending which way you want to look at it :) )
The vast majority work without any issues and mine included.

System Up Time 43 days 03h:44m:48s

The above is only due to a localised short overnight powercut otherwise it would have been closer to 5 months.

DocDutch
26-12-2011, 12:06
Okay is there a way in this case to break my 255 and get a free sh

Peter_
26-12-2011, 12:34
Okay is there a way in this case to break my 255 and get a free sh
At present you will still get what is on the shelf in the warehouse so it could easily turn out to be a standard hub until the stock runs out so I would leave it until the end of January before calling up with a fault.

jb66
26-12-2011, 13:03
If you break your 255 you'll get a regular hub, I got handed a big box on the 23rd

Peter_
26-12-2011, 13:23
If you break your 255 you'll get a regular hub, I got handed a big box on the 23rd
You will still be issuing them until they run out.

thenry
04-01-2012, 19:17
no more standard hub on VM's site :D

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband-packages.html

General Maximus
04-01-2012, 19:41
no more standard hub on VM's site :D

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband-packages.html

And now you can consider yourself blessed with the shub:

Virgin Media Super Hub

Discover unbeatable wireless with the Virgin Media Super Hub combined modem and router. Features include:

The best wireless broadband performance available

Can somebody pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease sue them for trade desciptions act or something

kwikbreaks
04-01-2012, 20:07
All they need do is alter that to say...

The best wireless broadband performance available from VM

and it is spot on now.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 20:10
not really the dlink and net geear n rotuer they where giving as part of 50mb upgrades years ago are better than teh superhub, the superhub as wireless router is completlely utter rubbish, modem is on par with vmg300 but i sitll think the vmg300 is better less other crap in the modem to cause faults

thenry
04-01-2012, 20:19
they were being sarcastic mate.. they hate it :(

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 20:24
unfortnally im not able to understand scarism esicpally not in real life never notice it it just pass me by down side of autism only upside makes me smart :D

jb66
04-01-2012, 20:34
Virgin superhub, reboots blue wifi

thenry
04-01-2012, 20:36
woooohoooo

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/28.gif

Peter_
04-01-2012, 20:38
Well one thing for certain is that the VMNG300 will never reappear as the future is with the Superhub as it alone has 8 downstreams and works in exactly the same way as the VMNG300 when in Modem Mode.

So if you VMNG300 dies the will only be one device to replace it and that is everyones favourite the Superhub, so cherish your old device while it still works.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/28.gif

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 20:42
trust me i am, hecne why witht he free upgrade ill insist on keepign the old modem even if it means i get a slower speed

i knew when virign annouced trials for the superhub being one week that that was the future because it cheapr for them i just wish they realise come tiem for the hardware replacement that will be require for 1gbit and above that they offer a modem only and no crapyp wireless built in when i have to use it i will eb doign extensive testing to make sure once in mdoem mode the wirelss is dead in fact ill probally turn off the broadcast ssid, then turn off wirelss then go onto mode mode to be extra safe

Peter_
04-01-2012, 20:58
trust me i am, hecne why witht he free upgrade ill insist on keepign the old modem even if it means i get a slower speed

i knew when virign annouced trials for the superhub being one week that that was the future because it cheapr for them i just wish they realise come tiem for the hardware replacement that will be require for 1gbit and above that they offer a modem only and no crapyp wireless built in when i have to use it i will eb doign extensive testing to make sure once in mdoem mode the wirelss is dead in fact ill probally turn off the broadcast ssid, then turn off wirelss then go onto mode mode to be extra safe
I am on 30Mb and have been since February without any issues but no one wants to hear that and considering that I am shortly to be made redundant by Virgin Media why would I not be telling the truth because if I had issues I would post my own thread about them, sadly though it continues to work as before.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 21:03
I am on 30Mb and have been since February without any issues but no one wants to hear that and considering that I am shortly to be made redundant by Virgin Media why would I not be telling the truth because if I had issues I would post my own thread about them, sadly though it continues to work as before.

well ill be honest i aint seen the recent firmware but when i had seen it was crap but eventally ill be moved over to it but froma networking background i think it crapo and you should never build the wirelss into the modem in my books its a security threat

Peter_
04-01-2012, 21:05
well ill be honest i aint seen the recent firmware but when i had seen it was crap but eventally ill be moved over to it but froma networking background i think it crapo and you should never build the wirelss into the modem in my books its a security threat
Well any wireless could be a security threat then.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 21:08
Well any wireless could be a security threat then.

yes it can hence why i onl use wpa2 or radius authentication i personal have it built into my linux firewall and since the firewall has only the basic for a firewall so no other mince it safer but still has risks

Peter_
04-01-2012, 21:11
yes it can hence why i onl use wpa2 or radius authentication i personal have it built into my linux firewall and since the firewall has only the basic for a firewall so no other mince it safer but still has risks
You do know what wireless security the is on the Superhub working in the Scottish call centre I presume, and that you should have a decent password as well regardless of what router you use.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 21:14
You do know what wireless security the is on the Superhub working in the Scottish call centre I presume, and that you should have a decent password as well regardless of what router you use.

that standard ;) but ill let you intoa secert ;) unless it about 20+ character even in wp2 it can be cracked :O unless the password is something like Hyu%84h which cant be cracked easily even with the brute force crackign techiqnues

Peter_
04-01-2012, 21:24
that standard ;) but ill let you intoa secert ;) unless it about 20+ character even in wp2 it can be cracked :O unless the password is something like Hyu%84h which cant be cracked easily even with the brute force crackign techiqnues
That is no secret unless you are just an ordinary user, you would be better of using a 64 digit hexadecimal key if really worried about security.

Then again even with a half decent password no one is really going to try and crack your network unless they are either sad or desperate.

thenry
04-01-2012, 21:26
i better sort my password out

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 21:27
That is no secret unless you are just an ordinary user, you would be better of using a 64 digit hexadecimal key if really worried about security.

Then again even with a half decent password no one is really going to try and crack your network unless they are either sad or desperate.

yip 64bit hex nather i perosnal rather go with 256bit ;) im freak in that way, trust me there some sad peopel out there so the mroe i protect the better

oh sorry about the job lose it only just sunk in there losing vaulable team member :)

Peter_
04-01-2012, 21:34
yip 64bit hex nather i perosnal rather go with 256bit ;) im freak in that way, trust me there some sad peopel out there so the mroe i protect the better

oh sorry about the job lose it only just sunk in there losing vaulable team member :)
Most routers tend to only offer 64 bit though.

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 21:36
i know it easily crackable to, i tend to use radious server wher ei can ditact the encyption

RB2004
04-01-2012, 22:06

Mine is a 64 character key generated by windows completely random using letters and numbers on wpa2

No way that's gonna get cracked any time soon lol

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 22:10
Mine is a 64 character key generated by windows completely random using letters and numbers on wpa2

No way that's gonna get cracked any time soon lol

is it under 16 charcafter if so yes i can be cracked unless it a crypted password like U8%$J4d

RB2004
04-01-2012, 22:16
No it's 64 character

General Maximus
04-01-2012, 22:16
they were being sarcastic mate.. they hate it :(

I wasn't being sarcastic, that was a copy and paste from the official shub page provided by the link in the post above

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 22:19
No it's 64 character

64 character well you must have a fun job remember it

General Maximus
04-01-2012, 22:23
Most routers tend to only offer 64 bit though.

people love to mock me when I praise Linksys but my last 2 linksys routers have both supported AES256, I got the impression that that was the standard these days

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 22:31
people love to mock me when I praise Linksys but my last 2 linksys routers have both supported AES256, I got the impression that that was the standard these days

nope very few support it but they should as it more secure ive not managed break my own rotuer with it but i have 64bit

RB2004
04-01-2012, 22:33
No it's 64 character

64 character well you must have a fun job remember it

Lol I don't it's impossible to remember as its a Mashup of characters and numbers.

So I've got it on a USB drive in a notepad file then just a case of copy and paste.

Begall
04-01-2012, 22:34
Lol I don't it's impossible to remember as its a Mashup of characters and numbers.

So I've got it on a USB drive in a notepad file then just a case of copy and paste.

So effectively, your super secure password is actually far less secure than a much shorter one that you could actually remember?

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 22:35

i wouldnt want to be you typign that intoa iphone or android small phone lol

RB2004
04-01-2012, 22:46
Does take a while :( then I realised I could just email the key to myself and open it on the phone that way. Lol

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 22:49
Does take a while :( then I realised I could just email the key to myself and open it on the phone that way. Lol

you need a connection in the first place :p my 3g doesnt always works so i have a fun job with that oen :) but ood way to do it

Begall
04-01-2012, 22:54
Out of curiosity, which scenario do you think is more likely:

Someone taking 10 computers and sitting on your network for 2.264735807442766e+27 years (A very low estimate actually, this is for a 20 character password containing no punctuation)

Or

Your pendrive is stolen / Your email account is hacked / God knows what else you've stored it on and it's accessed that way?

Andrewcrawford23
04-01-2012, 22:58
Out of curiosity, which scenario do you think is more likely:

Someone taking 10 computers and sitting on your network for 2.264735807442766e+27 years (A very low estimate actually, this is for a 20 character password containing no punctuation)

Or

Your pendrive is stolen / Your email account is hacked / God knows what else you've stored it on and it's accessed that way?

interesting question

assuming the password is dictonairy type word i say 1 but if it 20 randonm character for instance hdffgkldjfdhdkfhldfgerr i say 2

Chrysalis
04-01-2012, 23:02
Well one thing for certain is that the VMNG300 will never reappear as the future is with the Superhub as it alone has 8 downstreams and works in exactly the same way as the VMNG300 when in Modem Mode.

So if you VMNG300 dies the will only be one device to replace it and that is everyones favourite the Superhub, so cherish your old device while it still works.http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/animated/AddEmoticons0426.gif

actually it doesnt work exactly the same way so stop spreading misinformation please.

We get it, you dont like the vmng300 because your employer ditched it.

kwikbreaks
04-01-2012, 23:35
You've all missed the amazing security offered by the Superhub - you can't pick the wretched thing up through most walls so it's as safe as wired even without any encryption at all :)

Peter_
05-01-2012, 08:05
actually it doesnt work exactly the same way so stop spreading misinformation please.

We get it, you dont like the vmng300 because your employer ditched it.
You are one of the few who disbelieve that it actually works the same as a VMNG300 and that device was ditched because it was incapable of going forward with 8 downstreams unlike the Superhub which makes it an outmoded piece of junk which sooner rather than later you will need to use.

They should have bought off the shelf equipment from Motorola and Cisco as it would have been compatible with the CMTS's that we use plus they would have been a known quantity regards performance.

You do though have a short memory when it suits you, I a being made redundant by my employer so why oh why would I say a device was better if I did not think it was true.

General Maximus
05-01-2012, 09:33
You've all missed the amazing security offered by the Superhub - you can't pick the wretched thing up through most walls so it's as safe as wired even without any encryption at all :)

doh! I knew I missed something out on the list of those amazing features :D

You are one of the few who disbelieve that it actually works the same as a VMNG300 and that device was ditched because it was incapable of going forward with 8 downstreams unlike the Superhub which makes it an outmoded piece of junk which sooner rather than later you will need to use

It might try to behave the same as a modem (not neccessarily the VMNG300) but Ignitionnet has said it isn't because it isn't a modem as such, but a fully bridged router. I don't pretend to know the technical ins and outs of what the difference is between the two and I doubt very much that it should make a difference to performance, but I definitely attribute the problems I was having in the rubbish speed tests I was getting when I had one (two) to it. It is no co-incidence that as soon as I went back to the VMNG300 they shot straight back up to where they should be.

Peter_
05-01-2012, 10:13
It might try to behave the same as a modem (not neccessarily the VMNG300) but Ignitionnet has said it isn't because it isn't a modem as such, but a fully bridged router. I don't pretend to know the technical ins and outs of what the difference is between the two and I doubt very much that it should make a difference to performance, but I definitely attribute the problems I was having in the rubbish speed tests I was getting when I had one (two) to it. It is no co-incidence that as soon as I went back to the VMNG300 they shot straight back up to where they should be.
If your VMNG300 develops a fault you can only have a Superhub though to replace it.

As I said above they should have bought Motorola and Cisco devices as they work in the correct way with the CMTS that are on the network, cost should not come into it as it is probably a negligible amount anyway.

Chrysalis
05-01-2012, 11:45
Masque all I see in you is someone who is 100% loyal to whatever their employer does.

I guarantuee if VM brought out a new modem or reverted to the vmng300 you would then be calling the superhub a obselete peice of junk. You just towing the partyline.

Be careful because many customers will still be using vmng300s those who have never changed tiers since they had it installed and those who were given it before it stopped been handed out. VM still support this device they just no longer supply it. The 2 are different things.

I am the wrong person to say to the devices work 100% the same way as I have seen repeatedly that they dont, remember I had both activated at once for a while and I was able to swap them at will and as such compare performance in jitter and throughput. Not to mention ignitions explanation which I agree with. A router in a bridge mode is not the same as a modem, it acts like one but isnt exactly the same.

Peter_
05-01-2012, 11:55
Masque all I see in you is someone who is 100% loyal to whatever their employer does.

I guarantuee if VM brought out a new modem or reverted to the vmng300 you would then be calling the superhub a obselete peice of junk. You just towing the partyline.

The VMNG300 will not make a return as it only supports 4 downstreams which makes it obsolete as the service heads towards 8 downstreams so with the VMNG300 faiing to meet that criteria it is a piece of junk.

Tell me something if a company was making you redundant would you be showing brand loyalty if so the is something not quite right, I tell it as I see and and have read enough about the devices in work to know a lot more than I could ever post on a public forum with regards the future.

The Superhub has been made the default device across all tiers and when your beloved VMNG300 bites the dust you will have to accept it as the replacement as the are no more VMNG300 modems to be had anywhere.

Again the very important fact to remember is that in a few months I will be made redundant that does not make someone a fanboy oddly enough in the real world.

Chrysalis
05-01-2012, 12:02
I dont have to accept anything, I could choose to leave VM if I felt the service via the CPE wasnt good enough.

craigj2k12
05-01-2012, 13:11
the superhub adds to base ping rate and jitter, this has been confirmed by many users, so is FACT

the superhub allows for 8 downstreams, which makes it able to cope with speeds over 200mbit - FACT

on 30, 50 or 100, my OPINION is that the VMNG is better, it can acheive full speed while providing lower ping and jitter. whichever you think is better is up to you both (chrys and masque) but the facts are above

BenMcr
05-01-2012, 13:14
the superhub allows for 8 downstreams, which makes it able to cope with speeds over 200mbit - FACT
You can do 200Mbit with the VMNG300 - if you limit it the product to 4 downstreams

However Virgin have already started to use more than 4 downstreams for 100Mbit, so that requires the VMDG480 to work correctly.

Andrewcrawford23
05-01-2012, 13:31
You can do 200Mbit with the VMNG300 - if you limit it the product to 4 downstreams

However Virgin have already started to use more than 4 downstreams for 100Mbit, so that requires the VMDG480 to work correctly.

acutally i think ( im not 100% sure not even sure masque might be able to give a defintive answer to this probally need someone to upgrade to 200mb on vmng300) but i am pretty sure it auto negeotiated the downstream channel rate and i think each channel has a maximum of 60mb through it (to long since i looked at the specs so please dnt grill me anyone) so in thoery can do 200mb but above 200mb i think you will need mroe downstream channels

but since superhub in modem mode is basically jsuta bridge it adds latency there no covering or hiding this, it in the simplies form think of cable length, the logn the cable length of say cat5e the speed degrades as with jitter and ping the shorter the better, it basically adding length to the cable run. if it had a amplifier so boosting so to say the shorten the cable length so in thoery makign the cable length be logner similar to how you do some networking, then it would probally act the same as vmng300 in modem mode but sadly it doesnt it jsut plain router switched to bridge mode :S

craigj2k12
05-01-2012, 13:51
50mb per channel, so the VMNG would be able to do 200mbit if it was uncontended

that second paragraph is wrong as well, sorry :(

Peter_
05-01-2012, 14:23
acutally i think ( im not 100% sure not even sure masque might be able to give a defintive answer to this probally need someone to upgrade to 200mb on vmng300)
Which will never happen, you might as well try and put a 3COM Tailfin on 20Mb for all the good it will do.:D

Andrewcrawford23
05-01-2012, 15:44
Which will never happen, you might as well try and put a 3COM Tailfin on 20Mb for all the good it will do.:D

never goign to happen but i tohught it ocudl handle it ;)

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

50mb per channel, so the VMNG would be able to do 200mbit if it was uncontended

that second paragraph is wrong as well, sorry :(

it is right but my way of explaining myself isnt always te best

Peter_
05-01-2012, 15:47
never goign to happen but i tohught it ocudl handle it ;)

They really struggled on 10Mb, brought out for 512kb.;)

Andrewcrawford23
05-01-2012, 15:52
They really struggled on 10Mb, brought out for 512kb.;)

oh the good old days of first true broadband :O prior to moving to telewest at te time for cable broadband not long after it came about i was on dual isdn line :D

Ignitionnet
05-01-2012, 18:58
acutally i think ( im not 100% sure not even sure masque might be able to give a defintive answer to this probally need someone to upgrade to 200mb on vmng300) but i am pretty sure it auto negeotiated the downstream channel rate

If I remember right you work for VM in tech support.

I rather hope it's not in broadband. Cable does not negotiate downstream channel rate.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

it in the simplies form think of cable length, the logn the cable length of say cat5e the speed degrades as with jitter and ping the shorter the better, it basically adding length to the cable run. if it had a amplifier so boosting so to say the shorten the cable length so in thoery makign the cable length be logner similar to how you do some networking, then it would probally act the same as vmng300 in modem mode but sadly it doesnt it jsut plain router switched to bridge mode :S

Are you saying that the an extra few metres matters at 2/3rds the speed of light, and that it'll add jitter given that Ethernet operates on fixed timings and uses CSMA?

General Maximus
05-01-2012, 19:04

if that is the case I am even more concerned then why he is asking Masque for his opinion. I suppose it is as good as the tech guys I spoke to telling me that each channels only runs at 20mbit, 4 channels is 80mbit, which is why I needed to the shub for 100mbit :D

the logn the cable length of say cat5e the speed degrades as with jitter and ping the shorter the better

the difference in cable length is negligable until you start getting close to that 100m limit and as Igni has mentioned, that is due to ethernet using CSMA/CD and getting a response back in time before a frame is put on the wire.

Peter_
05-01-2012, 19:07
if that is the case I am even more concerned then why he is asking Masque for his opinion. I suppose it is as good as the tech guys I spoke to telling me that each channels only runs at 20mbit, 4 channels is 80mbit, which is why I needed to the shub for 100mbit :D
Ignitionnet knows his stuff.:)

Andrewcrawford23
05-01-2012, 19:17

I rather hope it's not in broadband. Cable does not negotiate downstream channel rate.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Are you saying that the an extra few metres matters at 2/3rds the speed of light, and that it'll add jitter given that Ethernet operates on fixed timings and uses CSMA?

as normal i use poor examples to express myself since i am crap at expressing what i mean, i wasnt meaning anytihng about the cat5e cable more a coparsion, ie that the longer the cable get the more breaks ie switches patch panels etc the more so to say interferences taht means the singal gets poor

i meant that the superhub kinda acts the same as the router adds a break so itnerference so even in modem mode is not goign ot be the nea rthe same as a modem which has one less interference does that majke sense?

edit: i think i mis put myself across on wha ti mean about the channel, i meant teh docsis 3 maximum per channel

ive always had a problem expressing wha ti mean, thoery i udnerstand and i generally can explain wha ti mean in person wher ei can also use examples psychical ones and people can see i udnerstand it but written im like a foriegn trying to write english no offense to foriegn jsut my written english is extremely poor inclding express english

General Maximus
05-01-2012, 19:23
does that majke sense?

ya, you mean the the shub creates another unneccessary hop the data has got to go through which increases the opportunities for problems to occur

Andrewcrawford23
05-01-2012, 19:28
ya, you mean the the shub creates another unneccessary hop the data has got to go through which increases the opportunities for problems to occur

yeah that makes it sound simpler to whatt im trying to explain with weird examples not connected to what i am saying just a example of what i am trying tio explain

craigj2k12
05-01-2012, 19:37
if you have a 3 metre ethernet cable or a 50 metre cable it wont make a difference, anything above 100m is when signal starts to degrade

Andrewcrawford23
05-01-2012, 19:43
if you have a 3 metre ethernet cable or a 50 metre cable it wont make a difference, anything above 100m is when signal starts to degrade

go do some bench testing you will see there is a difference, add patch panel and switches into it and you can see a difference on 100mb network of about 4-6mb ie as much lost to be 94mb 1gbit can lose up to 12-14mb from it total

but that isnt for thsi thread it ould be off topic i was trying to use it as aexample of wha ti was meaning

craigj2k12
06-01-2012, 01:18
im using a 25 metre ethernet cable at the moment and theres no different using a 1 metre ethernet cable

kwikbreaks
06-01-2012, 08:40
A short additional length of cable and the RJ45 joints causing increased jitter or latency is (imo) complete hogwash. What could have an impact is the additional set of electronics in the path - especially the low end tat used in some hubs :rolleyes:

qasdfdsaq
06-01-2012, 21:47

Umm... WPS?!

Or does the Superhub fail at that as well?

BenMcr
06-01-2012, 22:59
The SuperHub is AES256 (from the help info within the admin pages):

Enter a word or group of printable characters in the Passphrase box. The Passphrase must be 8 to 63 characters in length. The 256 Bit key used for encryption is generated from this passphrase.

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Umm... WPS?!

Or does the Superhub fail at that as well?WPS works fine on it

kwikbreaks
07-01-2012, 10:31
WPS works fine on itOf course the annoying lights mean many hide the thing away making access to the button difficult - when I had one I'd have had to move the settee to get at it.

qasdfdsaq
07-01-2012, 11:04
WPS works fine on it
Good. That means the length of one's WPA key and how hard it is to type becomes largely irrelevant.

RB2004
07-01-2012, 11:50
http://www.speedguide.net/routers/netgear-cg3202-docsis-30-dual-band-wireless-n-voip-2271

Interesting data page, despite what everyone says that this isn't dual band.. That page would suggest otherwise.

Also highlights just how much vm have modified it disabling a good few things.

Why couldn't they just leave the netgear firmware alone?

It probably worked great was properly tested... Then vm broke it by disabling and modifying everything.

Also appears that despite people saying ssh access was a bug, it wasn't it was a feature put in the firmware by design.. And presumably forgot about when vm played with it

Peter_
07-01-2012, 11:56
http://www.speedguide.net/routers/netgear-cg3202-docsis-30-dual-band-wireless-n-voip-2271

Interesting data page, despite what everyone says that this isn't dual band.. That page would suggest otherwise.

Also highlights just how much vm have modified it disabling a good few things.

Why couldn't they just leave the netgear firmware alone?

It probably worked great was properly tested... Then vm broke it by disabling and modifying everything.

Also appears that despite people saying ssh access was a bug, it wasn't it was a feature put in the firmware by design.. And presumably forgot about when vm played with it
That is the old standard hub not the Superhub.

qasdfdsaq
07-01-2012, 12:10
Since when was the old standard hub DOCSIS 3 with gigabit ports and dual-band N?

P.S. The Superhub has a modular slot for the wifi card - i.e. it is not integrated into the circuit board and is changeable. Obviously that leaves VM free to put whatever they want in there, dual band or otherwise.

RB2004
07-01-2012, 12:12
Apoligies my mistake lol

Are you sure?

Just checked and superhub is based on

That is 3302?

Which suggests its newer than superhub.. Which would explain the dual band.

In which case vm would be better off using a superhub based on the 3302 as its docsis 3 and seems to be superior in features to superhub

Yep wifi is
Modular lol I've pulled a superhub apart so can confirm that

But I'm guessing due to firmware can't put another card in as it's drivers are coded into the firmware lol

Andrewcrawford23
07-01-2012, 12:14
Since when was the old standard hub DOCSIS 3 with gigabit ports and dual-band N?

P.S. The Superhub has a modular slot for the wifi card - i.e. it is not integrated into the circuit board and is changeable. Obviously VM chose to change it from the stock config for whatever reason.

the picture is of the standard hub but the specs is for superhub

qasdfdsaq
07-01-2012, 12:14
In which case vm would be better off using a superhub based on the 3302 as its docsis 3 and seems to be superior in features to superhub.

Or they could upgrade the existing Superhub to simultaneous dual-band N for far lower cost by swapping out the wireless card.

Peter_
07-01-2012, 12:16
The picture is of a standard hub not a Superhub as it has a custom casehttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/63.jpg

Sephiroth
07-01-2012, 12:18
......Just checked and superhub is based on 3101

Indeed. The brown box in which the SH is delivered has a CG3101D sticker on it.

Why would VM disable features? I'm not privy to the reason but it's lijely to be either or both of:

1/
Fewer features means less support requirement. In which case Modem Mode should have been there from day 1.

2/
Fewer licensed features costs less to pay Netgear in licence fees.

Almost too simples.

Peter_
07-01-2012, 12:20
Indeed. The brown box in which the SH is delivered has a CG3101D sticker on it.

Why would VM disable features? I'm not privy to the reason but it's lijely to be either or both of:

1/
Fewer features means less support requirement. In which case Modem Mode should have been there from day 1.

2/
Fewer licensed features costs less to pay Netgear in licence fees.

Almost too simples.
It is probably a bigger case to fit in the modem parts as well plus it has the look of an upright VMNG300.

Sephiroth
07-01-2012, 12:23
Not sure what point you were answering, Masque.

RB2004
07-01-2012, 12:23
Shouldn't be licensing.. Netgear firmware is usually gnu open source afaik

There is no reason other than vm being awkward probably.. They wanted to customise it and call it their own and in the process broke it

Sephiroth
07-01-2012, 12:59
Or is Netgear firmware proprietary, acknowledging those components (I've seen the source listing) that are Open Source?

I certainly support your view that VM made things awkward by customising the thing - but they are driven in this context by vanity (the casing) and cash (tghe licensed facilities, perhaps).

BenMcr
07-01-2012, 15:23
Of course the annoying lights mean many hide the thing away making access to the button difficult - when I had one I'd have had to move the settee to get at it.
Or you can trigger the WPS function via the admin interface from an already connected device ;)

kwikbreaks
07-01-2012, 16:11
That's handy to know - it's even possible I may have seen it and forgotten it but I know I never used the option.

enthuamat
08-01-2012, 14:24
I run the Virgin Superhub installed 48 hours ago in standalone modem mode and have hooked up my existing Belkin N1 router. I did that because I could not get the Superhub to 'see' an internet bridge [for re-setting] nor an ethernet VOIP telephone adapter.. With the original Belkin N1 router not having been re-set, all the old settings were still present and there was no need to change the WPA key on my small office set up (about 9 units). At least it has been good for my blood pressure.... I'm getting 29Mb/s hardwired download, 18 MB/s through the Belkin wireless and about 2 Mb/s upload. I'm happy with that.

BTW the installation engineers were kind enough to warn me that the Superhub had 'router issues'. :)

Sephiroth
08-01-2012, 18:16
Welcome ethuamat. And congratulations on taking a pragmatic view and making it work.

General Maximus
08-01-2012, 19:20
BTW the installation engineers were kind enough to warn me that the Superhub had 'router issues'. :)

You have got to love it. "Errr, this is what you are being forced to use but it doesn't really work yet. They are trying to fix it but I wouldn't hold your breath because so far it has taken them a year and a half".

jb66
08-01-2012, 19:31
My favourite one is, "so... is the superhub any good?"

Hard to dodge that question

qasdfdsaq
08-01-2012, 21:49
And the audience says...

chienmort
09-01-2012, 13:51
And the audience says...

OK so using the Edinburgh University Network you are on the Joint Acedemic Network (JANET for short) or the more recent Super Janet.

Its like saying a Ferrari is faster than a Fiesta!

Sephiroth
09-01-2012, 14:16
And the audience says...

The Goonvean & Rostowrack Rotative Beam Engine, owned by the Steam Pump & Cornish Beam Engine Preservation Society was running on compressed air last month.

qasdfdsaq
09-01-2012, 18:22
OK so using the Edinburgh University Network you are on the Joint Acedemic Network (JANET for short) or the more recent Super Janet.

Its like saying a Ferrari is faster than a Fiesta!
Course referring to the Superhub has what to do with SJ5? Never said anything about Ferraris or Fiestas.

chienmort
09-01-2012, 21:34
Course referring to the Superhub has what to do with SJ5? Never said anything about Ferraris or Fiestas.

Your post was cryptic and your speedtest was https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/94.png

ergo your speedtest result is from a lightning fast private closed network that has no relevance here.

kwikbreaks
09-01-2012, 23:25
If you look at his other posts you'll see that the speedtest link is actually a signature and unrelated to the post content. It also shows that the speedtest.net London server can easily handle anything thrown at it from a domestic VM connection.

qasdfdsaq
09-01-2012, 23:26
Your post was cryptic and your speedtest was https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/94.png

ergo your speedtest result is from a lightning fast private closed network that has no relevance here.
Did I post that speedtest in this thread anywhere? No. Did my post make any mention of the speedtest? No. Does my post have anything to do with that speedtest? No.

Signature != post.

Your randomly joining up two completely unrelated matters and clutching at straws has no relevance here.

LycraLout
10-01-2012, 14:48
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the shub is rubbish. The devices on my home network lose visibility of each other at least a couple of times a day. Both wired and wireless. A right PITA it is too. My HTPC and NAS are both wired in. Watching a movie, it's not uncommon for the HTPC to lose visibility of the NAS, stopping the movie. I check all my other devices (phone, wireless printer, laptop etc) and see everything is searching for the network. A couple of minutes or so later, everything's good again. However, if I'm working from home, I need to reconnect to VPN, my wireless printer needs rebooting to latch onto the network again (slow). If me n t' missus are watching a film, I get it in the ear about the technology not working and why can't we just have a DVD player like everyone else, etc, etc. Never had this problem with the old modem and cheap TP-LINK router.

I did try to talk to VM support about this. They told me there was a fault in the line in my area that was due to be fixed later that month. I tried to get them to explain to me how something outside of my house can affect the connectivity of the items within the private network but she was adamant that I should wait until then and everything would be good. I still didn't understand her reasoning and as soon as I got more technical (I mentioned DHCP server), she hung up on me. Needless to say, we have passed the date of the fault fix and I am still losing my network at least a couple of times a day. Trouble is, because it comes back, it's difficult to ascertain how many times or why.

Anyway. Add my voice to the shub dissenters.

I've a day off tomorrow. Might give VM support another chance. Wish me luck.

Mick Fisher
10-01-2012, 15:09
Switching your superhub to modem mode and adding your TP-LINK router to the equation will likely pay greater dividends than trying to get a sub-standard piece of hardware to work by asking for help from an ill trained agent who is located half a world away and whose only interest in life is fobbing you off her phoneline. :erm:

jb66
10-01-2012, 15:18
you might get something pointless like i can see your downstream power is 7db we'll have to send a technician to sort all your problems lol

LycraLout
10-01-2012, 15:25
You're dead right. But I'd rather they just fixed it so I don't have to use my old kit. It may be reliable but it's only 100Mb which is a pain when it comes shunting large media files around.

qasdfdsaq
10-01-2012, 16:06
you might get something pointless like i can see your downstream power is 7db we'll have to send a technician to sort all your problems lol
I've lost count of the number of times I've been told "I'm sending some signals to your modem which will fix it in a few minutes" just to get me off the phone.

kwikbreaks
10-01-2012, 16:49
You phone TS? :rolleyes:
What on earth for? :shrug:

The only way to get TS which stands any chance of being worth the effort of describing the issue is via the forum which takes a while but stretches beyond rebooting the modem + spurious BS. The only department I've ever phoned is retentions.

qasdfdsaq
10-01-2012, 18:43
Yeah, I gave up and went over to the forums after a few tries, few years ago when I was last on VM it was the newsgroups and you'd get a much quicker reply there than you do on the forums now.

BenMcr
10-01-2012, 19:11
Yeah, I gave up and went over to the forums after a few tries, few years ago when I was last on VM it was the newsgroups and you'd get a much quicker reply there than you do on the forums now.That would mostly be because there were a lot less people posting to the newsgroups than post to the forums

kwikbreaks
10-01-2012, 19:16
Probably more complaints on the forums as more and more people realise that phoning for TS is frequently a waste of time.

qasdfdsaq
10-01-2012, 19:17
That would mostly be because there were a lot less people posting to the newsgroups than post to the forums
Indeed, the fact that you needed to be above average techy-knowledge to simply to set it up and access it was a boon. Having it come up all over google search has resulted in what was essentially a shortcut to second line for people who knew what they were talking about to becoming the same-old 1st line "try turning it off and on again" and 3 days to get even that.

Skie
10-01-2012, 21:10
Ah the good old days of the TW Newsgroups with IainH and AlexB (long before Alex went off to join the management fairies to be forever corrupted). They even had Counterstrike servers set up at a certain POP that we could dial in to to get pretty good ping's for 56k modems.

thenry
13-01-2012, 14:00
http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/wireless-connection

Mick Fisher
13-01-2012, 15:36
:LOL: You should have put that in the jokes thread.

craigj2k12
13-01-2012, 15:39
what a load of rubbish

thenry
13-01-2012, 15:40
it still functions though albeit with a little toy with settings or even better modem mode :D

Chrysalis
13-01-2012, 15:41

LOL this will add another 6 months to the superhub debates.

Hugh
13-01-2012, 15:41
They are holding themselves hostages to fortune with that ad....

Sephiroth
13-01-2012, 15:49
What can I say?

qasdfdsaq
13-01-2012, 18:31
Foot

Shoot.

Self.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Actually now I'm tempted to get myself one of those and then complain and get it replaced ten times because it won't hit 100mb on wireless.

Oh wait, 100mb won't be around in my area for another age and a half...

craigj2k12
13-01-2012, 19:22
whos going to complain to the asa about this one then?

stereohaven
13-01-2012, 20:03
I'm not a massive fan of the SuperHub mainly because it's wireless coverage is far from super and it isn't a particularly good hub, but it is superior to the Sagem I was subjected to with Sky and at least it has modem mode so that you can actually use a router that meets your needs.

Of course the debate will go on forever about whether or not the SuperHub is fit for purpose (the answer is "barely" by the way...), but having endured Sky's feeble little unit for 2 years even the cranky old SuperHub seems like a blisteringly quick bit of digital nirvana, well, when the wireless hasn't dropped out that is or it isn't restarting for no reason...

:D

jb66
13-01-2012, 20:31
Super 5ghz mode that's not compatible with the most popular phone, iPhone.....

Sephiroth
13-01-2012, 21:29
That's hardly the Dud's fault. What is the SH's fault is that you can't have your IPad 2 (in 5 GHz) on the SH at the same time as the iPhone.

Quite unbeatable, eh?

craigj2k12
14-01-2012, 00:15
That's hardly the Dud's fault. What is the SH's fault is that you can't have your IPad 2 (in 5 GHz) on the SH at the same time as the iPhone.

Quite unbeatable, eh?

whats so unique about the ipad and iphone? when i was using the superhub in router mode i couldnt have more than 2 devices connect at the smae time anyway, otherwise it rebooted

Sephiroth
14-01-2012, 00:31
whats so unique about the ipad and iphone? when i was using the superhub in router mode i couldnt have more than 2 devices connect at the smae time anyway, otherwise it rebooted

You seem to have missed the point, Craigie.

Sephiroth
14-01-2012, 12:26
In one of these threads, Nopanic suggested I was trolling by making the same points everywhere on "unbeatable wireless".

Someone has to make the point and shove it down VM's throat. Sure, they might resolve the various bugs or defects currently reported. But the issue is much, much deeper as I explain below.

1/
The SH is a stunted/slugged device. Many important normal router features are disabled. VM have never explained why but they still describe the wretched device as unbeatable (in various ways).

2/
The SH is known and proven to be wireless weak. We know that VM are trying to address this through a new driver for the Broadcomm wireless chip - 16 months after the thing was released. Isn't that bad? Very bad? All the time claiming "unbeatable wireless".

3/
Late last year there was a lot of expectation generated by the Huawei VMDG485. Several influential VM bods in this and other forums said it was only natural for VM to want two suppliers for a device so critical to VM's business plans; or words to that effect.

Now, it seems that the Huawei version isn't happening, although I can't confirm that because everyone's clammed up. The VM bods who earlier justified the move (in my eyes to a better supplier) cannot now be drawn on what's going on. In other words our VM bods, helpful as they are in other matters, punt the company line but are at a loss when it comes to dealing with contrary issues such as this.

4/
As the mighty Hugh has said, VM's splurge has made them a "hostage to fortune". For a start, without dual band wireless, the wretched thing is far from the "anything's possible" claim they make.

And what's this all about: "Only we give you 5GHz transfer to avoid wireless congestion and work with the latest gadgets like iPad 2".

The SH is an entry level device and it should be promoted as such unless all of the slugged functions are enabled and they sort the wireless out. The new splurge flies in the face of what their customers are telling them. It's head in the sand if VM think that the silent 3 million customers agree with that splurge; they are supremely indifferent, probably because a large chunk of them are indeed entry-level users. In which case the splurge should address the entry-level, pointing out that there is a "modem mode" for advanced users who wish to attache their own router.

Just so you know, I'm very pleased with my VM services (including Tivo). I'm going through a poor 50 meg performance patch at the moment, but I'll sit it out while they do the 100 meg infrastructure upgrades in the Reading area. I have BT Infinity too, so I'm never without fast internet. And I have to tell you, when my son does his gaming, I have to switch over to BT Infinity.

Is there anything unreasonable in what I've written above?

kwikbreaks
14-01-2012, 12:58
I'm not a massive fan of the SuperHub mainly because it's wireless coverage is far from super and it isn't a particularly good hub, but it is superior to the Sagem I was subjected to with Sky and at least it has modem mode so that you can actually use a router that meets your needs.
The thing with any ADSL is that you can use off-the-shelf kit of your choice and with cable the modem has to be VM supplied. As originally provided you really were stuck with the Superhub unless you got it replaced with a VMNG300 by complaining to the CEO office.

You do have some justification in pointing a finger at Sky because you have to search to find out how to use your own router with them and it contravenes their T&C to do so but on VM you can't (apart from going down a very dodgy path into the chipped modems area). I just found out how in less than a minute. I wont publish the url because their disclaimer makes it look almost illegal but if I was using the service and their kit didn't suit me I wouldn't hesitate ...

This website allows you to discover the ADSL username and password that your Sky router uses. Please read the following disclaimer carefully before proceeding.

This site is strictly for informational purposes only. If you choose to make use of the information provided by this site, you do so at your own risk.

Using a router other than the one provided to you by Sky constitutes a breach of the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you entered into a contract with Sky. It is entirely possible for Sky to detect not only the MAC address of the router you are using, but also the make and model number, and Sky may take a range of actions against you, including suspension of service, either immediately or at some point in the future.

If you decide to use your own router, you should be sufficiently competent to understand how to use it and how to resolve any problems that may occur. Sky will most definitely not provide you with any assistance, and whilst you may be able to get help from community-based forums, that is by no means guaranteed. To put it simply, if once you've obtained your router user name and password, you need help settings things up, then you shouldn't be using your own router.

It is possible that Sky may, at some point in the future, introduce changes to their broadband service that render the information given on this website incorrect and ineffective.

If you are having problems with your Sky router you are strongly advised to investigate alternative ways of resolving those issues without breaching the terms and conditions of your Sky Broadband contract.

Your IP address will be recorded for the purpose of preventing abuse of this service, but neither the information you enter nor the information that the site generates will be recorded.

Sephiroth
14-01-2012, 13:02
The above from Sky makes VM's policies seem angelic. LOL.

kwikbreaks
14-01-2012, 13:06
Actually now I'm tempted to get myself one of those and then complain and get it replaced ten times because it won't hit 100mb on wireless.

Oh wait, 100mb won't be around in my area for another age and a half...It won't stream network data that fast either so their suggestion for fun in the master bedroom goes right out of the window and you'll need to find some other entertainment...

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

The above from Sky makes VM's policies seem angelic. LOL.That's not from Sky it's from the site that lets you find out what user and password to use - Sky would at least hide all the nastiness in the small print (just like VM).

carbon60
14-01-2012, 16:27
Just so you know, I'm very pleased with my VM services (including Tivo). I'm going through a poor 50 meg performance patch at the moment, but I'll sit it out while they do the 100 meg infrastructure upgrades in the Reading area. I have BT Infinity too, so I'm never without fast internet. And I have to tell you, when my son does his gaming, I have to switch over to BT Infinity.

Has you ever let your son game on your BT Infinity connection? It would be good to compare the two.

Sephiroth
14-01-2012, 16:35
Hi carbon60

My son is 23, lives in London and comes home to play MW3. He makes me switch to BT Infinity because for the past couple of months lag on VM50 is unacceptable. It's never been a problem with BT Infinity.

I have to say that until they started upgrading the Reading area (presumably crowding users temporarily onto line cards/UBRs), my VM50 circuit was perfect for Black Ops (MW3 wasn't out then).

But most of us who have Infinity know that latency/Jitter are very low indeed.

kwikbreaks
14-01-2012, 17:33
This does, of course, beg the question on why you keep your VM connection.

Is it nostalgia from the days when it was good or a hope that sometime in the future VM may return to sanity and stop overselling their product?

Or is it that Infinity has some well kept secret failing that I haven't heard of but which should stop me binning VM and switching to it at the first possible opportunity?

Chrysalis
14-01-2012, 17:50
Hi carbon60

My son is 23, lives in London and comes home to play MW3. He makes me switch to BT Infinity because for the past couple of months lag on VM50 is unacceptable. It's never been a problem with BT Infinity.

I have to say that until they started upgrading the Reading area (presumably crowding users temporarily onto line cards/UBRs), my VM50 circuit was perfect for Black Ops (MW3 wasn't out then).

But most of us who have Infinity know that latency/Jitter are very low indeed.

Positive thinking from yourself seph assuming your issue is temporary due to upgrades.

Sephiroth
14-01-2012, 18:07
This does, of course, beg the question on why you keep your VM connection.

Is it nostalgia from the days when it was good or a hope that sometime in the future VM may return to sanity and stop overselling their product?

Or is it that Infinity has some well kept secret failing that I haven't heard of but which should stop me binning VM and switching to it at the first possible opportunity?
That's a strange tone you've used. Not that I owe you an explanation, here goes:

1/
Because of trees I can't get SKY TV. So it's VM TV.

2/
Up to last year (before Infinity), my BT connection was only capable of 1.3 meg. So I took VM broadband (20 meg). Perfectly good service and good for my son's gaming (then Counterstrike & COD).

3/
I had BT broadband before I took VM broadband. So I kept it for diversity because I professionally cannot be without broadband. VM packages are good value IMO.

4/
I took BT Infinity because it was there. At the time (a year ago), VM broadband was perfect for gaming.

5/
Apart from what I believe to be a temporary blip on VM gaming performance in my locality (I don't game any more), none of the above justifications have changed.

6/
Plus, I am in the networks business and like to keep up there knowledgewise.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Positive thinking from yourself seph assuming your issue is temporary due to upgrades.

Thanks Chrys. Apparently not what Kwikkie thinks. LOL.

General Maximus
14-01-2012, 18:42
Is there anything unreasonable in what I've written above?

Nope, they are constructive points made on a logical evaluation of product specification and performance and anyone semi-intelligent who used an objective analytical approach should come to the same conclusions. I couldn't agree more with you and I wish VM were forced to change the PR blab because it is simply a joke at our expense.

kwikbreaks
14-01-2012, 19:45
Thanks Chrys. Apparently not what Kwikkie thinks. LOL.
Maybe it was my choice of words but I didn't intend to imply any criticism it was just a question on why you keep both when Infinity is performing well and cable apparently isn't.

You've answered the question anyway - you need an internet connection so you keep both and that certainly is better than two of either.

Good luck with the VM issue being temporary - I take a pretty jaded view of VM these days so don't have as much faith as you.

Chrysalis
14-01-2012, 19:58
For what its worth seph I think your issue isnt temporary. Once a VM area gets oversubbed its usually chronic.

Sephiroth
14-01-2012, 20:05
Chrys

The locality isn't over subbed. I did the saddo thing (that I posted a year or so ago) of mapping every street in RG41 5, all the passive and active cabinets, calculating the number of homes passed per cabinet and how many passive cabinets per optical node.

So I know it's not oversubscribed at optical node level. But I do know that we're still on two upstream channels and there's been no uplift yet on the downstream (we're on an old fequency plan).

I was told by a VM tech on the CVM forum that we'd been recently resegmented at the line card and it is possible that the heavily populated RG6 area is terminating on my line card. They've confirmed before whether that sort of thing is true in other cases, so when I ask, I expect to be told. But at the meoment, browsing etc is fine and I don't game. So I'm content to sit it out till the DS fifth channel comes along with the other two upstreams and I really have something to bite into if latency for gaming remains poor.

Chrysalis
14-01-2012, 20:22
seph yeah, the question is tho if that resegmentation is permanent or not, it may well be.

eg. I got no students in my area, however my neighbouring area is heavily student populated so its logical to assume my area has provided it relief, spreading the pain so to speak.

So an extra 2 US channls are supposed to be coming?

I also am waiting for the 5th DS channel but I didnt know another 2 US channels were coming as well.