PDA

View Full Version : Superhub using adsl modem/router as an access point?

pearl
18-12-2011, 19:56
Hi. sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.

The wireless range on my superhub isn't great and i've been having lots of dropouts on my iphone. I have an old(ish) linksys wag200g adsl router/modem which has better range and is more stable which I'm using but i'm not sure if I've connected it properly.

I put it in a mode called 'bridged' (does this mean it's acting as an access point or if not, what does it mean?) and I turned DHCP off (on the linksys). Then I just plugged it in (ethernet to ethernet - it doesn't have a wan port). It's working, but is this the best way to connect it up?? Are there any disadvantages to having this setup as oppsoed to buying a cable router?

I tried turning modem mode on but the linksys wouldn't work with it.

Also I can't now log into the linksys in the usual way by typing 192.168.1.1 so any ideas how to log in to that?

cheers

Scrubbs
18-12-2011, 20:30
If you have search of the forum you will probably find out that adsl modems don't work on cable;)

pearl
18-12-2011, 20:36
I'm not using it as a modem. It's connected to the superhub with an ethernet cable.

I'm trying to use it as a wireless router.

AndyCalling
18-12-2011, 21:49
You can't use it as a wireless router, but you can (probably) use it as a wireless access point.

Check out some of my previous posts, the information is on this forum. Remember you will need to connect one of the lan ports on the ADSL router to one of the lan ports on your Shub. Not the wan port on the ADSL router of course as that will be the wrong socket size. Don't turn your Shub into modem mode, that won't work for an ADSL router as the ADSL modem bit gets in the way.

Forget 'Bridged' mode. You want the wireless access point to have a fixed IP on the same subnet as the Shub DHCP range and DHCP turned off on the wireless access point with DHCP turned on on the Shub with the ip range excluding the fixed ip of the wireless access point.

As I said, check out previous threads on this forum for full details, including some I posted in.

pearl
18-12-2011, 23:27
Thanks very much for your reply and i read your post here:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33676025-superhub-as-an-access-point-page-2.html

However my modem/router refuses to work when I try and give it an ip in the range 192.168.0.xx. The default is 192.168.1.1 and trying to put anything else in makes it freeze up. Seeing as this works when that is the ip of the router, is it a big issue that it isn't in the same subnet? Presumably this is why I can't log into the router when it's connected?
Thanks again

kwikbreaks
19-12-2011, 06:29
Connecting lan-lan will simply be using the ethernet ports on it and hopefully the WiFi section as a switch. You don't give switches an IP address. Just connect it lan-lan after configuring the WiFi SSID and see if it will work. If it doesn't then you are out of luck with that particular router.

You can get better 2.4GHz N routers than the Superhub for less than £20 which will definitely work.

AndyCalling
19-12-2011, 16:43
The IP address is more about being able to access the settings on the access point once it is connected to the Shub. It will lose connection with your PC when you change the IP settings, this is fine. You can use the 192.168.1.x range if you want, just make sure the Shub is set up accordingly.