PDA

View Full Version : 50M is upgrading from 30M to 50M really worth it?

leewill31
15-12-2011, 14:09
i have recently upgraded from 30M to 50M and would appreciate any opinion or comment on whether it is really worth it for what i use it for?

i play on-line gaming a lot and over the past few months on 30M getting a hell of a lot of packet loss we are talking anywhere between 5%-40% at peak times i live in the st3 area!

so generally thinking upgrading may have helped but unfortunately same old problem,am i wasting my money on the upgrade,do virgin know about these persistent problems if so what are they going to do,is there anything i can do??

ive been with virgin for a long time and as such have no major complaints as to the general service but i seriously feel i am wasting money on an upgrade,not getting the service i pay for?

Aekeron
15-12-2011, 14:25
It is unlikely that upgrading will cure your packet loss so from that perspective it is a waste of money. I'd recommend chasing VM to fix your packet loss issues instead.

kwikbreaks
15-12-2011, 14:28
Try running the TBB monitor - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html - it may be that your packet loss is caused by high congestion but it could also be a dodgy connection leading to errors and so dropped packets - read the sticky on power levels.

For gaming you may as well downgrade to 10Mbps and save yourself some pennies.