PDA

View Full Version : 50M Superhub and Existing Firewall

Raddo
15-12-2011, 10:37
We have just signed up for the 50mb business service with 13 IP addresses. The engineers came and installed the service no problems, and the superhub was setup and activated no problem.

The problem is the 13 Ip addresses are stuck on the superhub. I cannot NAT accross the IP addresses or Bridge them. We have a Zyxell firewall that supports "Virtual" interfaces, but it will only work with 4 Virtual IPs.

Can anybody suggest how I can make this thing work with our existing gear?

Andrewcrawford23
15-12-2011, 10:59
We have just signed up for the 50mb business service with 13 IP addresses. The engineers came and installed the service no problems, and the superhub was setup and activated no problem.

The problem is the 13 Ip addresses are stuck on the superhub. I cannot NAT accross the IP addresses or Bridge them. We have a Zyxell firewall that supports "Virtual" interfaces, but it will only work with 4 Virtual IPs.

Can anybody suggest how I can make this thing work with our existing gear?

i dnt think it will be possible you might be better loking at cisco gear

post the firewall specs can how the config pages of the superhub are displaying the ip address never seen the superhub with more than 1 ip address so dnt knw of the top of my head if there anything i could suggest

Raddo
15-12-2011, 11:06
The firewall we run is a Zyxel Zywall 1050 (an old one but with the latest firmware).

Its bizarre as because the IP addresses are on the SUperhub, it essentially means I have to connect 13 devices to the lan ports. But I cant do that as it only has 4 onbaord. Which means connecting a switch and then connecting the device to all the ports on the switch. Then I have to assign the external address (ie 81.81.81.81/255.255.255.240) to the interface of the device I have connected.
DHCP is disabled so you cant give out the external ip addresses automatically. The super has a local IP of 192.168.0.1, wheras on other systems like this you should be able to give it a local ip of 81.81.81.81 and then dish out addresses. Its bonkers!

Andrewcrawford23
15-12-2011, 11:23
The firewall we run is a Zyxel Zywall 1050 (an old one but with the latest firmware).

Its bizarre as because the IP addresses are on the SUperhub, it essentially means I have to connect 13 devices to the lan ports. But I cant do that as it only has 4 onbaord. Which means connecting a switch and then connecting the device to all the ports on the switch. Then I have to assign the external address (ie 81.81.81.81/255.255.255.240) to the interface of the device I have connected.
DHCP is disabled so you cant give out the external ip addresses automatically. The super has a local IP of 192.168.0.1, wheras on other systems like this you should be able to give it a local ip of 81.81.81.81 and then dish out addresses. Its bonkers!

if my memory serves em right you can assign a ip to the modem as such

my suggestion turn it to modem mode and you will find your firewall should if ita pass through will pass dhcp request to each client so each getting there own ip address but i cant be sure, maybe you best phoning business tech support and they might eb able to help conifgu it so you can do what you want

fortigeek
15-12-2011, 11:33
Andrew is right.. but not sure if you can do it with a superhub which means you would loose the wireless feature..

The problem that exists his running two NAT'd firewalls. If you turn off the firewall on the superhub the IP past through from the hub would then be DHCP accepted on your ZyXEL with the /28 subnet. Then the rest would be PAT'd or NAT'd through.

If the Superhub will not play do as I have, exchange the Superhub for a modem and their Netgear wireless. This passes the IP through to your firewall.

hope this helps

Kymmy
15-12-2011, 16:32
Remember that the Superhub in question is a VM business hub and doubtful it'll have the same software as the residential one. As I understand it (might though be wrong) you need the hub to tunnel the IP's through and as such you should be able to put a NAT/firewall/router on each individual IP. The hub itself may not be able to NAT the fixed IP's itself (like the old 2050's which turns off the NAT when set to fixed IP mode.) If the superhub can NAT then you should be able to assign it one of the fixed IP's

ccarmock
15-12-2011, 19:58
When The busines superhub is used with more than 1 static IP address the Superhunb has NAT disabled.