PDA

View Full Version : 100M Upgrading From 50mb To 100mb

Pubmaster
13-12-2011, 21:07
Can someone please help.

Just been on the phone to Virgin, thought i would upgrade my broadband from 50mb to 100mb after finding out that the 100mb was now live in my area.

Thought it would be a simple thing, but no, Virgin dont do simple :)

First i was told "yes that will be fine, i will also send you a FREE TiVo box out" but it will be £49.99 connection fee:confused:

Told them that i already had a TiVo box and also 2 other boxes in the bedrooms, so i was not really bothered about another TiVo box, and by the way £49.99 is not FREE whichever way you dress it up.

Then got put on hold for about 20 minutes while he had a discussion, then said o.k. to upgrade to the 100mb would be an extra £27 per month:rolleyes:
told him it was funny that, as on their site it was only £10 a month difference between 50mb and 100mb so was the other £17 going to some charity of his choice:erm:

Another 5 minutes and we were at an extra £10 per month but £49.99 installation and he could fit me in for an engineer to come out the first week in January. When i asked why would i need a engineer when i already had 50mb and the super hub, he said that the engineer had to connect something to the router:(

Why is everything such a pain when ever you want to upgrade or change packages with Virgin?

Last time i upgraded my package, it took me months to get Virgin to admit that i was being overcharged by nearly £50 per month, am i in the running for another bout with them?

Nopanic
13-12-2011, 21:15
Can you not do it in MYVM ?

Pubmaster
13-12-2011, 22:54
What do you mean by "in MYVM"

Do you mean going into my virgin media, and changing package within there?
If so everytime i try it says it cant upgrade and to phone virgin

thenry
13-12-2011, 23:13
To be honest with you mate I didn't realize how much work some area techs are under which is a lot. So everythings been sorted £££ wise? its the tech booking, the long wait you're complaining about? if so, tomorrow during the day call VM and ask to speak to "retentions/thinking of leaving" and ask them if they can move the booking forward. They will then forward it to the relevant agents to see if it can be done, also at this point give them your mobile contact number and ask nicely if they can give you first right to a cancellation, note it down. Explain you've had a no show as well, see what they can come up with.

raging bull
13-12-2011, 23:20
And here was I thinking all you need is an updated file sending to your SH with the promise to pay difference between 50meg and 100meg?

Pubmaster
14-12-2011, 00:04
But why do you need a Tech out just to upgrade the broadband? any other time i have had my broadband upgraded its been done over the phone? or is it completely different going from 50mb super hub to 100mb?

thenry
14-12-2011, 00:09
as far as I know a few tweaks may be needed.

djfunkdup
14-12-2011, 01:19
If it makes any difference m8 i got upgraded from 50 to 100 over the phone.i already had a hub after it was swapped out when i was on 50.. :rolleyes:

I think it depends on who you get when you call.some seam to be better informed than others. as someone else said you could be showing high/low power levels and they could be needing adjusted ,but they should have told you that and anyway adjusting power levels should not be a chargeable call out..

call retentions :p:

roughbeast
14-12-2011, 10:19
as far as I know a few tweaks may be needed.

When I upgraded from 50Mb to 100Mb I was also changing from the VMNG300 to the Superhub.

Delivery was within 5 days. The guy who delivered the SH was just that, a delivery man. I said to him that I wanted the SH to be in modem only mode. He said, "What's that!" He said he didn't know anything about computers or networks. All he did for me was ring back to base give the SH Mac number and my postal address and that was it.

I asked him if he needed to see if the SH was working before he left. "No. I've done my bit. Ring customer services if you have a problem." I was left to establish that I had an internet connection and to figure out setting up modem mode myself.

Compared with the service given when I first had 50Mb this was dreadful. That time the guy stayed until everything was working and a speed test over 40Mb was achieved, even though it was his first 50Mb installation.

So, in my case, there was no need for a tech. Instructions for getting the right config sent to your SH could be sent in the box with the SH or mail. Installation costs to VM were next to nothing. There should be no charge for installation.

Pubmaster
14-12-2011, 14:18
Just called Virgin again, and they said if i was upgrading from 50mb to 100mb then i deffo would have to have a engineer to come out, so i thought sod it, will just keep the extra £10 per month and let them upgrade me for FREE next year.

Martyn
15-12-2011, 03:03
Just called Virgin again, and they said if i was upgrading from 50mb to 100mb then i deffo would have to have a engineer to come out, so i thought sod it, will just keep the extra £10 per month and let them upgrade me for FREE next year.
How you getting it free??

HD Boy
15-12-2011, 03:28
How you getting it free??

Have you even read this thread.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35345659-post222.html

alexcopeland
15-12-2011, 04:21

This is fantasic news if it's true.

jb66
15-12-2011, 07:51
There is no need for a tech, call retentions or try twitter, and get them to do it over the phone, the signal specs are the same for 30 50 and 100.

Martyn
15-12-2011, 09:43

Im on here via my phone and didn't see that thread thanks for linking to it :-)