PDA

View Full Version : 30M BL9 area...Shockingly poor broadband

Grewer9
11-12-2011, 23:02
BL9 (Bury, Lancs).... 30MB (upto)... for the past week or so getting between 0.6 to 1.7 MB....just over 2MB on the odd occasion...after midnight though.

What the hell is the problem... ??

It's not hardware......so no fob offs....So ruddy frustrating. It's been perfect for years, now all of a sudden it's like reverting back to dial up...no, sorry, dial up was better...

Absolutely sick to the back teeth of not being able to get speeds enough for xbox live...

Have not been able to use xbox live properly now for approaching two weeks due to shockingly slow connection.....speedtests showing figures as quoted above.

Hopng to speak to somebody tomorrow who can actually help...need an engineer to visit & rectify...not just be fobbed off by somebody over the phone who claims to know what they are doing.

harryxb
11-12-2011, 23:26
I am very close to BL9. I have been having exactly the same problems for over a week. The latest of a series of fix dates I have been given by Technical Support in India is 14th December

Digital Fanatic
11-12-2011, 23:35
Just checked and i'm assuming you are affected by ticket 1826093 as it's the only one I can find for that postcode?

The SLA for this ticket is to be resolved by Tuesday. It isn't a cable that needs replacing at all, it's unexplained packet loss on your CMTS and cable.

Networks will have to fully investigate and track down whats causing the packet loss that leads to slow speeds. HTH

Grewer9
12-12-2011, 08:46
Digital Fanatic....Thanks for response. I've just spoke to somebody at VM (UK) and he advised no problems on my connection. I mentioned the ticket number you advised above and he looked into it and agreed with the packet loss. He said hopefully resolved by 14th (Wednesday), but nothing definate.

Grewer9
14-12-2011, 09:35
Just checked and i'm assuming you are affected by ticket 1826093 as it's the only one I can find for that postcode?

The SLA for this ticket is to be resolved by Tuesday. It isn't a cable that needs replacing at all, it's unexplained packet loss on your CMTS and cable.

Networks will have to fully investigate and track down whats causing the packet loss that leads to slow speeds. HTH

Is there any news on this ticket yet, as there is currently no improvement on my connection??

Grewer9
15-12-2011, 09:16
Still no news on this ticket & still no better with the service. Last nights speedtest 0.02mb !!!
Spoke to India, arranged tech to visit....why ? The issue is not at my end.

I believe that Virgin are simply cramming too many users onto servers that quite simply are not capable of handling the amount of required bandwidth.

dnisbet
15-12-2011, 09:51
Registered just to post this.
I'm also in the BL9 area and have noticed over the past week or two a really slow connection. A speedtest result is rarely above 1mb whereas previously I was able to get a consistent 30mb (once it even went to 31mb!).

I'm quite dissapointed, I can't even stream video from iPlayer, etc reliably, especially at peak times. When it's worked the connection has been brilliant, so I hope the issue can be resolved.

I'll try some tests again tonight. But certainly last night (Wednesday 14th) the problem was still there.

Grewer9
15-12-2011, 11:01
Thanks for your post dnisbet,

I will keep this thread updated after the tech visit on Saturday. Hopefully the issue will get sorted sooner rather than later.

Digital Fanatic
15-12-2011, 12:08
Is there any news on this ticket yet, as there is currently no improvement on my connection??

I'm on holiday at the moment, so don't have access sorry.

harryxb
15-12-2011, 12:46
I am pretty sure I am very close to you in BL9. I had the same problem yesterday evening , my lowest download speed was around 0.015Mbps

I have contacted VM , the repair mentioned earlier was closed 12/12/2011. The speed in the daytime is ok , often up to 50Mbps, It is only in the 'peak' hours there seems a problem.

I have an engineer booked for tomorrow but I suspect now it is just a capacity issue and will not be solved quickly. I doubt I will get it resolved but I need the engineer anyway , my V+hd box needs replacing again :)

Grewer9
15-12-2011, 15:03
If it is a capacity issue, there really is only one resolve...leave VM. If VM cannot provide a reasonable service during peak hours, then it's simply a case of switching to a provider that can.
I believe that VM are simply adding more and more customers onto to old existing networks & servers that are simply now not capable of handling the demand.

Perhaps they should advertise 30MB as only during off peak hours....peak hours upto 1MB
and see how many new customers they get.

I'd wager that if the MD of VM was having similar issues with his/her home system it would be sorted within 24hrs.

Digital Fanatic
15-12-2011, 15:43
I am pretty sure I am very close to you in BL9. I had the same problem yesterday evening , my lowest download speed was around 0.015Mbps

I have contacted VM , the repair mentioned earlier was closed 12/12/2011. The speed in the daytime is ok , often up to 50Mbps, It is only in the 'peak' hours there seems a problem.

I have an engineer booked for tomorrow but I suspect now it is just a capacity issue and will not be solved quickly. I doubt I will get it resolved but I need the engineer anyway , my V+hd box needs replacing again :)

Different issue and CMTS mate.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

If it is a capacity issue, there really is only one resolve...leave VM. If VM cannot provide a reasonable service during peak hours, then it's simply a case of switching to a provider that can.
I believe that VM are simply adding more and more customers onto to old existing networks & servers that are simply now not capable of handling the demand.

Perhaps they should advertise 30MB as only during off peak hours....peak hours upto 1MB
and see how many new customers they get.

I'd wager that if the MD of VM was having similar issues with his/her home system it would be sorted within 24hrs.

It's not capacity from what I could see in the ticket. It's unexplained packet loss, causing slow speeds. Could be anything at this stage, i'll check the ticket on Sat night if still ongoing for you.

Grewer9
16-12-2011, 08:54
Thanks digital. I'll see what the technician says on Sat morning...

Digital Fanatic
17-12-2011, 18:36
Just checked the ticket and all resolved on the 12th. Just found another ticket raised today for a load balancing issue, it's ref 1835154

What did the tech say today?

Digital Fanatic
17-12-2011, 22:25
We are going to bounce the interface on this CMTS to see if it fixes the issue in the early hours of Sunday. I'll check again tomorrow night for you. :)

Grewer9
18-12-2011, 17:46
Tech did not have any answers. He totally blamed over utilisation during peak hours.

Digital Fanatic
21-12-2011, 12:48
Just checked the ticket and all resolved on the 12th. Just found another ticket raised today for a load balancing issue, it's ref 1835154

What did the tech say today?

Fault was fixed yesterday as "card rebalanced". Are you seeing any improvement? :)

Digital Fanatic
23-12-2011, 12:02
Fault was fixed yesterday as "card rebalanced". Are you seeing any improvement? :)

:bump: