PDA

View Full Version : 100M Problems accessing some sites

ynwa
05-12-2011, 20:20
Been having a problem for a few months now accessing some siters. I cant access www.easyjet.co.uk for example. Several months ago i did a search and was told i could use webcache.virginmedia.com as my proxy. Right enough i was able to access easyjet etc ok then. But this server has problems of its own. I cant access local IPs with this set as my proxy. Some sites also wont let me download. I have got a bit fed up now with changing the proxy when going from site to site, so does anyone know why this is happening and if i can fix it easily?

I am on the 100mb service with a superhub, windows 7.

Peter_
05-12-2011, 20:47
Try Using Google Public DNS.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

ynwa
05-12-2011, 21:00
Thanks for the reply. Changing DNS didnt work. Still not accessing easyjet.

No idea why this is happening. I take it it doesnt happen to many people or it would have been more known about.

General Maximus
05-12-2011, 21:51
have you changed your dns addresses in windows or on your router?

Just read your post again, afaik you can't specify dns servers on the shub so it defaults to whatever is obtained via dhcp (i.e. VM's)

ynwa
05-12-2011, 22:02
have you changed your dns addresses in windows or on your router?

Just read your post again, afaik you can't specify dns servers on the shub so it defaults to whatever is obtained via dhcp (i.e. VM's)

Thanks for the reply. I wasnt using DHCP on the card. I set my own IP address and set the DNS to 194.168.8.100, and 192.168.4.100. I have since changed this to get the settings automatically but it has made no difference.

As far as i remember, i also had this problem when i was on the 50mb service with the other modem.

General Maximus
06-12-2011, 08:01
you won't do because either way you are still using VM's servers. Google's dns servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

The reason why I asked you if you had changed the settings in windows or on your router is because it is your router that obtains your/its ip address and all the other associated info and I am not sure if it overides the dns servers which you have specified in windows as it heads off to the internet. I have left windows to obtain everything automatically from my router and on my router I have inputted the google dns servers as the primary and secondary addresses and then it gets VM's as a tertiary address if all else fails.

It is defo worth thinking about because when other peeps have been flapping that they can't get to various websites it has always been a dns issue and people who use non-isp dns servers like myself can get to them no probs

arcimedes
06-12-2011, 08:13
It is the application that is given the name of the site you want to get to and and the device where it resides (PC or whatever) that will then ask whatever DNS it has configured for the IP address. The router will just pass this IP address onto the next router and so on until it reaches the desired address. I have my PC set up with OpenDNs adresses but it gets The PCs address by DHCP from the router.

General Maximus
06-12-2011, 08:25
so you have configured your dns address in windows and not on your router?

arcimedes
06-12-2011, 10:18
so you have configured your dns address in windows and not on your router?

Yes.

However I have just now looked again at the router configuration and could now configure the DNS server addresses there. Just couldnt find the info before. I think I might try configuring them in there which should make life easier :)

---------- Post added at 08:36 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

It also made life easier when originally using the superhub which I now only use in modem mode.

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 ----------

making the router provide the DNS addresses was a disaster as the PC wouldnt connect, funnily the phone would!

have now reverted to my original configuration and everything back to normal.

General Maximus
06-12-2011, 17:51
sweet