PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling Broadband, what happens to email ?

ntl.wotcha
04-12-2011, 11:47
Been having a speed/latency issues with my 30Mb broadband service for a while now and most evenings/weekends a lot of streaming/gaming/video services are unusable. VM can't give any info on when it will be fixed.

So I'm sadly thinking of cancelling. I just want to know if I cancel my broadband what happens with my email boxes. Presumably I would keep my main ID because it's linked to the VM billing etc. that I would need for account management etc. (TV/Phone services).

Would I lose associated/additional email boxes tho ?

martyh
04-12-2011, 11:51
Been having a speed/latency issues with my 30Mb broadband service for a while now and most evenings/weekends a lot of streaming/gaming/video services are unusable. VM can't give any info on when it will be fixed.

So I'm sadly thinking of cancelling. I just want to know if I cancel my broadband what happens with my email boxes. Presumably I would keep my main ID because it's linked to the VM billing etc. that I would need for account management etc. (TV/Phone services).

having moved house to a non cabled area (now with BT) i ended my contract with VM and my email has remained the same no difference whatsoever

Sirius
04-12-2011, 11:55

having moved house to a non cabled area (now with BT) i ended my contract with VM and my email has remained the same no difference whatsoever

It is supposed to be turned off after so many days but i have heard to many stories of it having not been.

martyh
04-12-2011, 12:35
It is supposed to be turned off after so many days but i have heard to many stories of it having not been.

do still have VM mobile phones though if that makes a difference

Nopanic
04-12-2011, 21:18
The process is being worked on, but will be 90 days following a disconnect.

Anyone who has not been a VM customer for longer is risking losing their email at any time, so I would either come back to VM, or sort out another address.

Skie
04-12-2011, 22:09
Its a shame there is no way to merge your account into an existing google account. Its a pain in the bum going via VM's wonky front end.

Cobbydaler
05-12-2011, 00:28
I joined Telewest in the late 90's and had a Blueyonder e-mail address. I left them in 2004 & the address only stopped working earlier this year.

Plenty of time to get a new one... :)

Milambar
05-12-2011, 00:38
I believe that the law requires them to securely dispose of any emails (privacy laws), so they probably print them out, then pass them through a shredder.

Just joking.

No clue really.