PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Randomly Rebooting Superhub - Very Annoying

Superblade7
04-12-2011, 10:57
Hi All,

I have had a Superhub with 20 MB BB since earlier this year and until the last fortnight have had no problems whatsoever. However, for the last couple of weeks, the Superhub keeps randomly rebooting itself and going back to default settings. I reckon this must have happened around 10 times within the last fortnight.

I am not actually having any problems with the BB, just find it increasingly annoying that the Superhub keeps restoring factory settings and losing all my settings.

I would appreciate your help in advising whether this is a faulty Superhub, an issue with a recent firmware upgrade (currently V5.5.2R30) or my signal, I attach my connection details below -

Connection
Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 299000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 193 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 14.9 dBmV 42.7 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 194 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 14.5 dBmV 42.6 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 195 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 14.6 dBmV 42.5 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 4 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 39.5 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 518
Max Traffic Rate 20480000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 517
Max Traffic Rate 2080000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort
Current System Time:Sun Dec 04 09:42:51 2011

Any help from other forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Superblade

jb66
04-12-2011, 11:39
Your downstream is too high but the reason the hub reboots is because its a heap of junk.

I had the same issue with all 3 super hubs and my signals are perfect. Changing the wifi speed to 145 helped but in the end I got myself a dlink-615 and its been rock solid ever since.

Superblade7
24-12-2011, 08:31
Hi Guys,

Been trying to sort this issue via the VM forum and I currently have a new Superhub on it's way. However I've just posted the message below on the VM forum but wanted to copy it to CF too for any advice anyone may be able to give regarding my question about the downstream channels -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick update, the existing Superhub has rebooted itself again and gone back to default settings.

Looking on the connection page I have 5 downstream channels as follows -

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 80 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 6.9 dBmV 43.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 79 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz 6.9 dBmV 43.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 81 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 7.1 dBmV 43.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 82 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 6.8 dBmV 43.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 83 55616000 Kbits/sec 323000000 Hz 41.6 dBmV 44.0 dB Hybrid

I know that when the tech visited the other week, he said I only needed to worry about the first 3 channels (79 - 81) for my connection but can anyone advise wat channels 82 and 83 are for?

The only reason I ask is that channel 83 always seems to always have a really high downstream power level and the last couple of days my Superhub has remained stable in modem mode but on checking the connection settings yesterday, channel 83 was been at around 7 dBmV. It has now shot up again to 41.6 dBmV and the Superhub has rebooted again.

I am therefore putting 2 and 2 together (and possibly making 5 as I'm no tech but like to think I know a little about these things) but am wondering if it is this channel 83 that is the cause of my problem as I only ever had 3 downstream channels in the past and have never had an issue with the Superhub. The two new channels appear and my Superhub starts rebooting everyday.

Is this channel 83 the channel for the 100MB broadband? Was the tech who visited the other week actually correct?

Grateful for anyone's advice although I will still try the new Superhub once it arrives.

Cheers

Superblade 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appreciate anyones advice and the full thread on the VM forum can be found at this link - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Superhub-Constantly-Resetting-To-Default-Settings/td-p/891995

Cheers

Superblade7

kwikbreaks
24-12-2011, 14:22
I think you must all be imagining these issues. Masque's Superhub is perfect and there half a million others out there all working perfectly too apparently.

Mind you the five I had were all unfit-for-purpose junk....

Mick Fisher
24-12-2011, 14:50
Downstream Channels
Locked QAM256 80 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 6.9 dBmV 43.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 79 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz 6.9 dBmV 43.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 81 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 7.1 dBmV 43.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 82 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 6.8 dBmV 43.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 83 55616000 Kbits/sec 323000000 Hz 41.6 dBmV 44.0 dB Hybrid

My channels looked like that when they went to 5. Your "rogue" channel 83 might sort itself out after a day or so, mine did.

I agree with jb66 and kwikbreaks in that the superhub as a router is absolute junk and not fit for the purpose.

You might cure your issue by changing the mode to 145mbps, the band to 2.4ghz and then manually frigging about with the channel selection until (if you are very lucky) you find one that is stable. The problem is, it only takes one of your neighbours to change their channel or a new router to start transmitting and you will be dumped back into the same situation and have to start again. So, IMHO, any solution you find is only ever going to be temporary.

The only thing to do is acquire a decent router (check out TP-Link who seem to be at the right price and get good reviews) and switch your superhub to modem mode.

Peter_
24-12-2011, 14:53
I think you must all be imagining these issues. Masque's Superhub is perfect and there half a million others out there all working perfectly too apparently.

Mind you the five I had were all unfit-for-purpose junk....
It works and it does its job and the majority are the same, sorry if a few facts get in the way.

System Up Time43 days 08h:26m:47s

Superblade7
24-12-2011, 15:28
To be honest, until this past few weeks I've had no issues with the Superhub. It all seems to have coincided with the increase in downstream channels. I have a feeling it is something to do with that channel 83 and the really high downstream power. However the VM tech and forum didn't seem to see this as an issue so may be wrong. Strange coincidence though, 3 channels = no probs, 5 channels = daily rebooting!

Mick Fisher
24-12-2011, 15:41
To be honest, until this past few weeks I've had no issues with the Superhub. It all seems to have coincided with the increase in downstream channels. I have a feeling it is something to do with that channel 83 and the really high downstream power. However the VM tech and forum didn't seem to see this as an issue so may be wrong. Strange coincidence though, 3 channels = no probs, 5 channels = daily rebooting!
Mine was junk with 3 channels, junk with 4 channels, junk with 5 channels.

It seems a bit of interference completely overwhelms it.

craigj2k12
24-12-2011, 16:26
It works and it does its job and the majority are the same, sorry if a few facts get in the way.

System Up Time43 days 08h:26m:47s

oh come on masque, wake up

if your going to say "sorry if a few facts get in the way" then maybe you want to get those facts and quote them here.

The majority.....
- Dont want a combined device
- Dont like the cheaply made superhub
- Think that its rubbish for many reasons
- Random Re-booting - cant cope in a range of circumstances
- Lack of features (on the so called "premium product")
- Wireless range utter crap
- Would like customisability in a router
- Stability not very good (apart from your one which has been baptised and blessed by the docsis gods

There are also many more issues, but the above cover "the majority"

I know i mentioned the wireless being crap, when of course yours is perfect, but if I recall, your using a second access point for your wireless?

I know the above is rather negative and not fitting with christmas spirit, so..
:xmas:

kwikbreaks
24-12-2011, 17:24
To be fair to Masque your definition of majority may not match his - I think your post needs modifying to say ..

The majority who have a clue

Having used the thing it's pretty clear to me that you'd need to be pretty clueless to regard it as a satisfactory device for anything other than the most basic of home routing tasks.

Superblade7
24-12-2011, 17:24
craigj2k12 whilst I appreciate your comments above, it appears that you have had a bad experience of the hub and it's everyone's personal experience that matters.

I actually quite like the idea of the Superhub (combined modem / router) as it reduces the number of devices and cables in my set up. I also think it's quite a good looking piece of kit. I'll admit the wireless range isn't the best as it's probably only equal to my old Netgear G white router that VM were providing a few years back. I expected a N standard router to have a stronger signal but I can't really complain as it is adequate for my needs. For my relatively basic needs it has more than enough features on it.

Yes, the rebooting is starting to get on my nerves but this is obviously some issue that has appeared in the last 4 weeks as up until then, it only ever rebooted on a couple of occasions and my service is perfect.

So my overall experience (like Masque's) is relatively good and I will be perfectly happy to continue using the Superhub if I can get normal service to resume as I have had many months of good experience and I am not going to let this one month of issues dampen that as VM have been trying to resolve this for me.

But like I say, your personal experience is obviously of problems with the Superhub and I am sorry to hear that and it is unfortunate but that is YOUR experience. I know many people also have problems on here but this is a forum and you generally only come on these when you have an issue to try and seek assistance to solve it. It's human nature not to come on a forum if you've only got praise for something.

But hey this is just my view and everyone has there own opinions.

Merry Christmas to you and all the other CF members.

Superblade7

kwikbreaks
24-12-2011, 17:36
In fact I too liked the idea of a hub rather than separate devices and actually waited until the Superhub was free on upgrades to 50Mbps. The problem is I also like to have a reasonable control over my home network and expect my phone to work on WiFi pretty much anywhere on my premises (I'm not the Duke of Bedford after all). Despite it's "Super" billing the feature set of the Superhub is very very limited and the wireless range is poor. Once you add in the tendency to reboot if there is any other strong WiFi nearby (better than the hangs before the R30 correction at least) it starts to look very unattractive.

The real problem is the absolute need for a VM provided modem section. If you don't like the BT, O2, Orange, or whoever's supplied hub you can buy and connect your own kit. On cable you can't you're stuck with what VM supply. Putting the thing in modem mode returns the freedom but you're then stuck with an oversized modem with an unconventional and IMO inconvenient connector layout.

Sephiroth
24-12-2011, 17:45
Hi Superblade

Originally you posted problems when on 3 channels which is contrary to what you say in post #7. But no matter - nobody's really told you what has happened in your circuit nor answered your 5 channels question.

You have been moved to an new high capacity line card, possibly on the same UBR - I can't tell. Your power levels have changed which means they've done some field work as well in your area.

The fifth channel mis-reports the power level due to a SH firmware bug. So nothing to worry about there.

Your downstream will be sent through all 5 channels and is then resequenced in the SH prior to presentation to you. You either misunderstood the engineer or he was joking (I'm being kind to him).

So any problems you're having with the SH may be due to it being used in router mode. The Netgear version of the SH is pretty ppoor when wireless is on.

That's why I use Modem Mode and have my own router. The Netgear SH is a piece of junk as a gateway, no matter what Masque says.

Which brings me to your mild smack on the legs for Craigie. Masque does need taking on sometimes. He uses the SH in modem mode (to the best of my knowledge). Whether or not that is the case, Masque avoids commenting on the obvious stability problem the SH is having when in router mode with wireless on. If you find this "spat" an intrusion to your thread, then apologies - at least from me.

But I hope otherwise that you find the information I've posted helpful.

Superblade7
24-12-2011, 18:10
Hi Seph,

Thanks for your response, you rightly say that you are the first person to answer my actual questions. In my original post, I did only have 3 channels, but my downstream power levels had shot up which was the original cause of the original instability I'm guessing. I've since gone to 5 channels and the problem seems to have got worse and the Superhub seems more unstable. A new Superhub is on the way but I'm guessing it probably won't make much difference even if I swap it out.

With regards to the tech who visited he stuck on a 6dB attenuator and said it was only the first 3 channels to worry about. He also mentioned that 100MB was testing in the area and this may be the cause of my fault and that hopefully it would settle down in January. He said he had been told not to swap any equipment until Jan so I don't know whether he'd got the correct info or not? The tech support staff on the VM forum have since said there is no 100MB testing in my area so who knows?

Modem mode was stable for the last couple of days but then rebooted again. I'll stick it back in that and see what happens as I mainly have my laptop wired to it and only use the wireless occasionally for my PS3 / phone.

It wasn't really a smack on the legs for Craigie, just my opinion. Like I say everyone is entitled to air theirs on here and that's what makes it a great forum.

Cheers for the info, makes a little more sense now.

Superblade7

craigj2k12
24-12-2011, 18:45
sorry if i was a bit over the top but sometimes masque needs things explaining which he doesnt quite understand :)

Sephiroth
24-12-2011, 19:10
LOL Craigie's apology. Masque needs nothing explaining. He just needs to acknowledge facts presented by other people as regards the SH.

Anyway, the engineer wasn't far off the mark with his 5 channels observation. Your area is being prepared for 100 meg along with most others at different stages of preparation.

In any case, in Modem Mode, the only resets you should see should occur because of something VM have done at the other end. Barring a duff SH, Modem Mode is rock steady IMO. Even Masque agrees!

Superblade7
24-12-2011, 22:00
Seph, thanks again for the info. I've tried modem mode a couple of times and the SH has still rebooted after a day or two. If the engineer was right then all could settle down come January and all become well again. Fingers crossed!

Alternatively, my SH has decided to call it a day and the new SH may be the answer when it arrives! Guess I'll just wait and see.

Craig, don't apologise on my account mate. Yours opinions are as valuable as others on here, regardless of whether or not they agree with you.

Thanks again for all your comments, have a good Xmas!

Superblade7

Sephiroth
24-12-2011, 22:21
Seph, thanks again for the info.

Craig, don't apologise on my account mate. Yours opinions are as valuable as others on here, regardless of whether or not they agree with you.

.....Superblade7

Yes he does, Superblade! Craigie is like one of those Star Trek time cops ensuring consistency of the timeline. LOL.

The_real_dj
24-12-2011, 23:08
The Netgear version of the SH is pretty ppoor when wireless is on.

Have I missed something? Are there 2 versions of the hub? Thought netgear made em all?

Sephiroth
24-12-2011, 23:16
Search in the forum or Google on HUAWEI SUPERHUB. Although now Chrysalis has put some doubt on the Huawei device.

Peter_
24-12-2011, 23:48
oh come on masque, wake up

if your going to say "sorry if a few facts get in the way" then maybe you want to get those facts and quote them here.

The majority.....
- Dont want a combined device
- Dont like the cheaply made superhub
- Think that its rubbish for many reasons
- Random Re-booting - cant cope in a range of circumstances
- Lack of features (on the so called "premium product")
- Wireless range utter crap
- Would like customisability in a router
- Stability not very good (apart from your one which has been baptised and blessed by the docsis gods

There are also many more issues, but the above cover "the majority"

I know i mentioned the wireless being crap, when of course yours is perfect, but if I recall, your using a second access point for your wireless?

I know the above is rather negative and not fitting with christmas spirit, so..
:xmas:
You may not have noticed but the Superhub is now the device of choice across all tiers as of the 21st December, now that is a choice made by Virgin media.

Who says the majority do not want a combined device, the very few posters on various forums or the 500,000+ customers all using the device satisfactorily.

All modems are made to a price and have you heard of another company using Ambit as they were made for NTL/Virgin Media.

Never had a single reboot but I expect with any product the will be faulty devices.

I have used it both as a router and a modem and when i had my Edimax connected all devices preferred the Superhub connection, I am presently in Modem Mode as I was a tester for it.

The device was I expect built for the masses rather than the few who want a fully customisable device which due to Modem Mode you can now use a state of the art router instead.

As for my device being stable so are the majority or we would have many many calls about them.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

Have I missed something? Are there 2 versions of the hub? Thought netgear made em all?
The is still only one manufacturer and that is Netgear.

craigj2k12
25-12-2011, 02:43
The is still only one manufacturer and that is Netgear.

no word about the removal of the 2nd vendor?

i understand what your sayin, but you go about it the wrong way a lot of the time

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 10:21
.......The is still only one manufacturer and that is Netgear.

So, exactly what happened to the Huawei version that you've written about in the past?

And Merry Christmas to you, of course.

Peter_
25-12-2011, 10:45
So, exactly what happened to the Huawei version that you've written about in the past?

And Merry Christmas to you, of course.
I have not mentioned it in a long time probably since around August as anything that could be said is obviously business sensitive information and therefore could not be posted on a public forum.:)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/12/18.jpg

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 13:28
I have not mentioned it in a long time probably since around August as anything that could be said is obviously business sensitive information and therefore could not be posted on a public forum.:)

http://alansmoneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/merry_christmas.jpg

Fair enough. I can read between the lines. I wouldn't need to know more than that if the Huawei device has been canned.

Superblade7
25-12-2011, 19:39
Seph,

Placed my SH in modem mode yesterday evening and by the time I got up this morning it had rebooted to default settings. Put it back in modem mode this morning and just arrived home and it has rebooted again.

So 2 reboots in less than 24 hours both from modem mode, from the advice you've previously given, would you agree that it is actually my SH that has become faulty, nothing to do with the signal levels as you state that modem mode should be rock solid.

If that is the case, then I am hopeful that the new SH that should arrive sometime next week may be the solution to my rebooting problem!

Superblade7

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 20:05
You did right to test in modem mode. It's the baseline for all of this.

Can we see your power levels again please and the event log. Tell us also at what time you think the reset occurred so that it can be correlated with the event log.

There would be only two reasons for a reset: 1) Commanded by the CMTS (the other end); 2) Faulty SH.

The first reason is usually becauese your SH hasn't responded properly to thr keep-alives; or the CMTS doesn't think it has (in which case the event log should provide clues).

Superblade7
25-12-2011, 20:52
Seph,

The reboots do usually coincide with the timings in the event log but as the reboots wipe the SH back to default settings, it only ever stores that last event. I generally have the same content on the event log following each reboot and today's reboots were sometime around 6:50am and presumably the next will have been about 15:43/15:44. This is the message that always seems to be on there following a reboot -

Time Priority Description
Sun Dec 25 15:44:05 2011 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sun Dec 25 15:43:58 2011 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:X:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

The downstream power levels also seem to have settled down a little -

Downstream Channels
Locked QAM256 80 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 6.4 dBmV 43.8 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 79 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz 6.5 dBmV 43.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 81 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 6.5 dBmV 43.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 82 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 6.3 dBmV 43.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 83 55616000 Kbits/sec 323000000 Hz 6.9 dBmV 43.9 dB Hybrid

Hope that you can decipher the event log as it means nothing to me.

Cheers again for your help Seph.

Superblade7

Sephiroth
25-12-2011, 22:45
The event log does not contain a DOCSDEV RESET message. So the reset to default isn't coming from the CMTS. The circuit reset messages are normal; during initialisation, while it searches for channels it's not in state of grace and errors are reported. If you have lots of T3 timeouts during normal operation, you might have a busty upstream, but that's not the case.

So now we await the new SH and hope the problem is resolved. It was worth looking for other causes if only toprepare you for dealing with VM again.

I would add that on the VM forum, some people are reporting that the same thing happens with the replacement SH. In that case you'd need to get a Senior Engineer in to work with you to diagnose the situation. That can usually be arranged with UK Customer Services. But I'm surprised you don't have stability in modem mode.

Superblade7
26-12-2011, 08:28
Seph,

Thanks again for your response, much appreciated. I think we've narrowed it down to a faulty Superhub then which will hopefully be easily resolved following a swap out when I get the replacement Superhub.

I've just had another look on the VM forum and noticed this thread for someone who seems to be having a similar issue -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Superhub-rebooting/td-p/925613

On that, Ray M of the Forum Team states they are aware of the rebooting issue and have escalated it to Netgear. So if the new Superhub doesn't work, it's possible that there is some sort of firmware bug causing this to happen as it's been reported by a number of people on the VM forum now.

Thanks again for you help and hopefully the new Superhub will bring an end to my issues.

Cheers

Superblade7

Sephiroth
26-12-2011, 11:01
VM, as you've seen, are aware of a firmware issue that causes the SH to reset to default values when in router mode.

My engoneer's mnd tells me that where there are similar cases, one should compare production batches. If somwthing's mis-tooled, yoiu can imagine a dry joint that expands to work by day and glitch when the house cools down. Something like that. But that's musing and too much to hope for.

If there is no prodiction fault, then in modem mode, it doesn't happen unless there is a line condition and then the SH won't go to default settings. That much is clear from the VM forum (as I see it) and my own case and various other specific people have commentted likewise.

The one thing I do recommend is that you stay in modem mde with your own router. I don't think that VM/Netgear will sort oit the router mode problems any time soon.

Superblade7
31-12-2011, 09:06
Hi Seph,

New SH arrived on Thursday and I installed it that night.

Tried connecting via wireless and initially had problems connecting. Wired it up, dropped the 802.11 mode from 300Mbps to 145Mbps and this sorted it as everything connected and worked fine.

Then switched to modem mode and it has been in this since as my laptop is wired to it and I only need the wireless occasionally for other devices. This has currently got a System Up Time of just over 1 day and 10 hours which is the longest I've had since end of Nov / early Dec so at present (although I don't want to tempt fate) all seems to be working well.

Another additional and unexpected bonus is the quiet. The old SH always had a sort of high pitched squeal coming from it that others have reported and appears to be something to do with the power cable whereas this one hasn't.

The one thing I'll keep an eye on are the downstream power levels. The old hub was reporting the 5 channels all at 6.X dBmV whereas the new one is currently showing the 5 channels ranging from 8.6 - 9.3 dBmV. Are these levels within tolerance or a little high? May they just settle down given a bit of time? I've still got a 6dB attenuator attached and wondered whether this may need swapping for a 10 dB attenuator although I know this will require another tech visit as I know they won't just send one of these out.

So far so good, let's hope it stays that way. :D

Cheers

Superblade7

Sephiroth
31-12-2011, 11:40
You can buy the 10 dB FPA on ebay if you want it quickly - they won't send one out. I don't like power levels outside the recommended range. My VMNG300 wouldn't sync at 7 dBmv. After the SH went in they had to change or reslope the street cabinet amplifier (50m away) because that had gone the other way with power down to -8 dBmv.

If you need an engineer, it's to check what's coming out of the street cabinet amplifier. If your read the Power Levels sticky, it explains all that and the effect of coax distance from the street cabinet.

Keep us posted.

Superblade7
01-01-2012, 11:11
Morning Seph,

Happy New Year to you and everyone else on CF.

Thanks for the advice again. The VM Forum Team did ask me to post back on there following receipt of the new SH so I'll tell them what I did on here and advise everything appears well at present (currently 2 days 12hrs and a bit up time!!!) other than the power levels being slightly high and let them check remotely and see what they think. If they don't believe an engineer is necessary might look to buy a 10dB FPA on ebay. I think it's worth waiting for them to check as they might need to check the street cabinet as you advise.

With regards to the FPA's, I have actually got another 6dB one that an engineer left me a couple of years ago when I had a fault with my TV service and he checked my BB at the same time and said I no longer needed it after what he'd done but left it with me just in case. Would this be any good at reducing my power levels (i.e. does 2 x 6 dB make 12dB) or would having two 6dB ones not be any different from the one? Not sure how they work or even if you can have 2 on a line.

Cheers

Superblade7

Sephiroth
01-01-2012, 11:26
2 x 6 dB screwed in series make 12 dB. Perfectly acceptable.

kwikbreaks
01-01-2012, 11:35
Except that the downstreams after the extra channels were added are now showing ~ 6-7dBmV which the SH should be able to cope with anyhow and would only require a single 6dB attenuator to take it close to 0dBmV. Adding two at that level would probably make it worse.

Sephiroth
01-01-2012, 12:00
From post #32 I calculated that 9 dBmv minus 12 dBmv = -3 dBmv (which is OK). As temperature falls (which it may do during the winter, power will creep up towards zero. When the weather warms, one of the 6 dB FPAs can come off.

Equally so, 9 dBmv minus 6 dBmv = +3 dBmv. Power won't creep up higher than 6 dBmv as temparature falls. So that's OK too.

Superblade7
01-01-2012, 12:31
Kwik,

Seph is right, my current levels as in post #32 are showing at around 9dBmV with a 6dB FPA already on there so another 6dB should take it down to around 3dB which is right in the middle of the preferred levels.

However, I'm going to leave it as it is until VM have checked it from their end as it may need something tweaking in the street cab as Seph suggests rather than extra attenuation at my end.

It's stable at present so can afford to wait for 5 days or so for the VM forum team to respond.

Cheers

Superblade7

kwikbreaks
01-01-2012, 16:19
I didn't spot that you'd just mentioned levels rather than posted the full stats or that you'd still got the 6dB FPA in line - sorry.

It seems they haven't finished tweaking you area either as the levels keep changing. At least you've got a choice of what to use though.

Superblade7
01-01-2012, 17:35
Yeah, the power levels seem to have shot up recently as I've not needed any FPA on for the last couple of years. Can only assume that this is something to do with them prepping my area for 100Mb.

Sephiroth
01-01-2012, 22:47
The power levels at your modem are entirely a matter for how your street cab amplifier is set up. I've got a sticky post in the 30/50/100 meg sections of the VM forum that explains all this.

Superblade7
02-01-2012, 08:07
Seph,

I read your sticky following your previous post and it explains things clearly. In your first post on this thread you mentioned about the new line card and field work, would this involve them working on the street cab down my road and would they have turned the amplifier up for any particular reason (100Mb?).

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow but as well as sorting out my SH problem, your posts have also been very informative and I've learned a bit about how the network actually works so thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Superblade7
02-01-2012, 10:32
Just a quick update, rather than waiting for the VM Forum Team I thought I'd give them a quick ring on the tech support line as I know the Forum take about a week to respond and the tech visits can sometimes be a week or so before they come out.

Told the chap (Neil) that things seem to be working fine but the downstream power levels were a little high. He asked what the levels were and I said around 9dBmV and he asked if everything was working ok. I said yes and he said that I don't need to worry about it!

So I said that I thought that the levels should be within the -3 to +7 dBmV range and he said that whilst they are the preferred levels, he has seen them as high as +14dBmV and still work ok so unless I have any issues, don't worry about it.

So I'll leave it at that then and see if the VM Forum Team offer anything different.

Thanks again Seph for all the advice and to the other who have also chipped in.

Superblade7

Sephiroth
02-01-2012, 10:47
Neil's spot on. But I'll answer your question from post #42.

They'll reslope the amplifier (you can Google that!) in the street cabinet if the frequency plan changes. They'll also do things if it is evident that, for example, people are having high downstream and high upstream power; again, a reslope exercise. Also if people close to the cabinet have low power, then the amplifier has to be renewed or repaired.

kwikbreaks
02-01-2012, 11:17
The power levels at your modem are entirely a matter for how your street cab amplifier is set up. I've got a sticky post in the 30/50/100 meg sections of the VM forum that explains all this.When this area was tweaked (not sure exactly what was done) I ended up on different channels, a different CMTS, and there was a significant change in upstream power with downstream being pretty much unchanged. What wasn't changed was the congestion :(

I've also had an instance when an installer/engineer for somewhere else in the street swapped the tap I was on screwing up my upstream power - I reported that on the forum and got it restored to within spec.

Superblade7
02-01-2012, 13:39
I can fully understand Neil's point of view and happy to accept that from a VM point of view I have no current issue. However I have always been a believer that prevention is better than cure and I would imagine that I am less likely to have any future issues if my power levels are within the recommended range than not. I'll see what the forum team say when they respond to my post and if they think everything is fine then I might add the additional 6dB FPA to reduce my levels to around 3dBmV.