PDA

View Full Version : Losing Connection .. Reboot but Lost Again in 4-5 Mins

walsh2509
03-12-2011, 19:44
Started Friday night about 11pm, up until then my Wired 20mb bb was working fine. Then it went down, I rebooted the modem and the connection was back, I was surfing the net when about 4-5 mins in , it went down again. Again I reboot modem and the same thing, I get the connection back but 4-5mins later its down again.

I went to bed thinking it would be back to normal in the morning, but it was the just the same, if I rebooted the modem I would get 4-5 mins of connetion before it would go again.

I called a tech, went through the reboot but I told her when I did this myself I got a connection but it would go again within 5 mins. Anyway she did signal tests and got me to look at the up and downstream settings .. I told her the reading and she said it was fine, again she told me to unplugged the modem and replug it after she sent more signals.

As per when I did it , it worked again, anyway she said she would arrange for someone to come to the house and that was the end of the call.

About 30 seconds of hanging up , I lost connection again. I had to reboot the modem just to post this.

Anyone have any thoughts about what might be wrong ? If its something simple and I can get it working without rebooting my modem every 5-6 mins then it would save a guy having to come out.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 64
Downstream Frequency : 315000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.9 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 45800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.9 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4

Had to reboot to send this post ...

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 20:18
what modem have you got? Although you haven't posted it I would bet good money are you getting a tonne of T3 and T4 timeouts and uncorrectable codewords. There is something wrong on the network because your upstream is running qpsk.

walsh2509
03-12-2011, 20:41
T3 T4 Time outs ? where would I see this info ? as for the modem its a little black number. On the underside the No on it is ... 256

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 21:07
the good old ambit 256 :angel: It has been ages since I used one and I am not so sure it shows you the info, it should be on the downstream tab if it is there

Slyder
03-12-2011, 22:05
What about the lights on the front of your modem? When your loosing connection is the sync or ready light flashing?

walsh2509
04-12-2011, 07:51
I went to my Event Viewer .. System, I took out the power cable from modem

Event Viewer 06.06.39 (i) Information : Basically says Modem disconnected

when I replug the power to the Modem ..

Event Viewer 06.07.34 (i) Information : system detects Modem reconnected

The lights start to come on in the Modem Power Enet Sync and ready light flashes rapidly and then goes On.

I have the connection back and I can surf the web , well for a few minutes, but when I looked at the Event Viewer when the Ready light was flashing and then again after it came on and I had the net back again and was able to surf it I seen these..

Event Viewer 06.07.45 (x) Error : The IP address lease xx.x.xx.xxx for network card with network address xxxxxxxxx has beeb denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 [ the DHCP server sent a DHCPNACK message].

Event Viewer 06.08.03 (!) Warning : Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network [ from the DHcp Server] for the network card with the network address xxxxxxxxxxx. The following error occured.

The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try and obtain and address on its own from the network address [DHCP] server.

Event Viewer 06.08.03 (x) Error : Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx on the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxx.

The thing is at the 2nd item on the Event Viewer [ 06.07.34 (i) Information : system detects Modem reconnected] about 10 seconds after that Event, Ready light was now on and steady I was able to surf the web even though my Event Viewer was showing the 1st Error msg 1st Warning msg and 2d Error msg I didn't lose connection until about a minute after the last Error msg.

When I lost connection my Ready light blinks on and off , when I reboot I goes On-Steady and I am surfing the web again. That said as I am typing this and looking at the Ready light, it has now stopped Blinking on and off and has went On-Steady light that is WithOut rebooting it.

As the light is now On I thought I would give it a try to get into this Forum, but after a few flickers between my Send Recv and Enet lights, nothing no connection. But the thing is, my Ready Light is still ON-steady its not blinking On and Off even though I don't have a connection to the servers, as I look at my Modem there is still a bit of flickering between Send Recv and the Enet lights but still no connection.

Thanks for your replies