PDA

View Full Version : Ambit 256

Slyder
03-12-2011, 18:05
Just a quick question, does this modem still get sent out to 10meg customers? My sisters Ambit 200 is on its last legs and the CS chap I spoke to said the modem wasnt responding to all of his "tests" and would ship a new 256?

I thought these were retired long ago?

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 19:14
I did too, I thought they sent out some sort of basic version of the shub for 10mbits but hey, if they are going to send her an ambit 256 let them, I used one for over a year on 20mbit and thought it was great

Nopanic
03-12-2011, 19:15
Like for like still as I understand it .. the 256 is one of the best modems I've worked with ..

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 19:24
the 256 is one of the best modems I've worked with ..

I am not trying to start a massive bitching session but do you know why VM went with Netgear for the shubs because if Ambit made the 256 for them which was excellent and then the VMNG300 which was also excellent, why move to a different manufacturer who has now produced something pants?

Nopanic
03-12-2011, 19:44
See I can't give you business case reasons, but whatever they have documented I think it came down to cost .. and being tided into one supplier ..

This could be the actual reason .. but that would be coincidence.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

I would add though that the VMNG300 fault rate was higher when it launch with 50Mb .. than the Hub or SH .. I had no involvement in the 300 so this is only me looking back at some basic stats, so again is my opinion.

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 20:11
I would add though that the VMNG300 fault rate was higher when it launch with 50Mb .. than the Hub or SH

interesting to know, I wasn't aware of that and I never had any probs at all on 50mbit with the vmng300 which is why I wanted to keep it

Peter_
03-12-2011, 20:51
Just a quick question, does this modem still get sent out to 10meg customers? My sisters Ambit 200 is on its last legs and the CS chap I spoke to said the modem wasnt responding to all of his "tests" and would ship a new 256?

I thought these were retired long ago?
The stock of Ambit 256 modems ran out a few weeks back and we now sent out the VMND280 standard hub as its direct replacement, the same order code is used on our end but she will still receive a hub rather than an Ambit 256.

Slyder
03-12-2011, 20:59
I did too, I thought they sent out some sort of basic version of the shub for 10mbits but hey, if they are going to send her an ambit 256 let them, I used one for over a year on 20mbit and thought it was great

Same here, I had one for around 2yrs along with the 250. Great little modems and never gave me a problem.

The stock of Ambit 256 modems ran out a few weeks back and we now sent out the VMND280 standard hub as its direct replacement, the same order code is used on our end but she will still receive a hub rather than an Ambit 256.

Is that the netgear hub (the one just before the SuperHub?. Ive had one of these as well. I didnt rate it highly but thats just because I had trouble running 2 xboxes at the same time with it. Did this hub receive any updates as I just remember it coming, then disapearing :|

It wasnt a bad hub. I dont remember having problems where I had to restart it, it just threw my xbox off when the other half turned hers on lol.

Peter_
03-12-2011, 21:17
Is that the netgear hub (the one just before the SuperHub?. Ive had one of these as well. I didnt rate it highly but thats just because I had trouble running 2 xboxes at the same time with it. Did this hub receive any updates as I just remember it coming, then disapearing :|

It wasnt a bad hub. I dont remember having problems where I had to restart it, it just threw my xbox off when the other half turned hers on lol.
Yes thats the one.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/12/79.jpg Virgin Media Hub modem router

The Virgin Media Hub is a superfast broadband modem and router rolled into one.

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 21:35

I do hope that was the PR blab and not something you made up yourself :D

Nopanic
03-12-2011, 21:37
interesting to know, I wasn't aware of that and I never had any probs at all on 50mbit with the vmng300 which is why I wanted to keep it

Don't forget though, it was a new service too ..

Peter_
03-12-2011, 21:41
I do hope that was the PR blab and not something you made up yourself :D
It is direct from here http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 21:41
Don't forget though, it was a new service too ..

true true, it was the 50mbit tier which launched docsis3 for VM, or vice versa

Nopanic
03-12-2011, 22:07
true true, it was the 50mbit tier which launched docsis3 for VM, or vice versa

I think so, networking isn't my strong point .. I don't remember D3 being used before 50Mb though ..

General Maximus
03-12-2011, 22:44
it was definitely launched in tandem with 50mbit and I can remember them saying that once they had rolled out 50mbit/docsis 3 across the country, they were going to go back and migrate all the 20mbit users across as well. I remember it well because I was moaning my ass off saying all the 20mbit users would take up all the precious bandwidth for the 50mbit users :)

Slyder
03-12-2011, 22:59
Yes thats the one.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/images/broadband/hub-routers-page.png/_jcr_content/renditions/original Virgin Media Hub modem router

Hope my sister dosnt have any issues like I did with it. :confused:

Slyder
07-12-2011, 19:30
Quick update.

My sisters hub came today (it is the one pictured), so I just got back from setting that up for her. Shes not teccy minded, so I think the all in one solution will mean I wont be going down as much resetting everything (fingers crossed)

I never thought I would see the day where a change of modem would mean the difference betwen 0.5meg (on her old Ambit 200) to 9.9meg with her new hub. Instant improvement so she is well made up. The agent I called couldnt of been more helpful and activated it in no time :) and generally I was pleased with my experiance with the hub this time. She does not have 2 xboxes, so that should be perfect for her. Looking at the lights as well, I would hazard a guess it downloaded a newer firmware on its initial activation.

One tiny hicup, her Kodak Hero 5.1 printer is not connecting wirelessly. I tried setting the DMZ to the computers IP, the printers IP. I think I can make the printer a static IP, but didnt really have the time to try some fixes. Any suggestions welcome and I'm also about to google it :)

General Maximus
07-12-2011, 19:57
you shouldn't be putting either of them in the dmz because that is all about port forwarding and the internet and the type of traffic you are talking about is strictly local.

I havent much experience setting up wireless printers however if it has got one of those little lcd displays you should be able to go into a basic menu and get it to print off a diagnositc sheet or something which will have the ip address of the printer on it. You should then reset the wireless config on the printer to default so it will broadcast an open network and you use your laptop/wireless device to detect the printers wireless network and connect to it. This will only establish local connectivity between the laptop and printer but from here you can open a web browser and pull up a configuration page by going to the printers ip address (e.g http://192.168.223.1) and you can see alsorts of info and configure stuff. There will be a setup wizard like in windows which will auto detect available wireless networks or there should be an advanced feature which allows you to input the ssid, select the standard of encryption and any passwords etc etc. You can then get the printer to connect to it (the hub) and you'll lose your connection and can reconnect to the hub as well and all should be good.