PDA

View Full Version : Full speed downloading, only 2MB streaming and speed tests

kathyp
02-12-2011, 15:29
hi,

im on 10MB and when using multiple connections ie from usenet or download accelerators i get full speed, but when i try and stream (ie youtube, iplayer, or any other video) i only get around 2 - 2.5MB. speed tests always show this kind of level too.

my modem is a pretty old one (surfboard 4200). i wondered if that could be the cause, but as i get the full 10mb when im combining connections im not sure? connection goes to a wireless router but ive tried both wired via the router and also direct from the modem and still the same result. im aware of the traffic management times and this isnt related to those periods.

do i need to upgrade to a faster package to get a higher streaming speed or should i be getting higher figures than this?

thanks for any advice.

Milambar
02-12-2011, 17:16
Are you sure you are not mixing units up?

10Mb means megabits a second is what plan provides, which gives you 1.25 megabytes a second, not 10 megabytes. The problem is, some speedtests measure in megabytes/second.

10Mb is not the same as 10MB, Mb = megabits, MB = Megabytes. The change in case isn't just being "polite", it actually is an entirely different unit.

This difference in units confuses a lot of people (myself included occasionally).

kathyp
02-12-2011, 17:36
thanks but no, im aware of the difference between mbits and mbytes.

im getting 10mbits of speed when downloading with multiple connections or accelerators but only around 2mbits when trying to stream (and this is the figure i obtain with speed tests.)

ive also ruled out the pc as the culprit, as its the same situation on other devices on the network.

linwelin
05-12-2011, 15:28
thanks but no, im aware of the difference between mbits and mbytes.

im getting 10mbits of speed when downloading with multiple connections or accelerators but only around 2mbits when trying to stream (and this is the figure i obtain with speed tests.)

ive also ruled out the pc as the culprit, as its the same situation on other devices on the network.

as some people have suggested before, it is more than likely virgin throttling streaming websites.

kathyp
05-12-2011, 17:29
ah ok, thanks - in that case upgrading to a faster package wont help?

The Installer
05-12-2011, 17:35
Might sound silly, but have you connected your PC directly to your modem without having your router inline?

You will need to reboot your modem when you swap ethernet cables by the way. If you just unplug your router and put your PC's ethernet cable into the modem it won't work without the reboot, the same when you swap back too ;)

adzii_nufc
06-12-2011, 15:12
ah ok, thanks - in that case upgrading to a faster package wont help?

Depends on experience.

I experienced throttling on the 10mbit and 20mbit service

I was never throttled on 50mbit and am yet to see drops in speed on 100mbit even though I hammer my connection to the limit.

Basically Throttling will be more noticeable on the 10mbit product but I think you may find it more practical on 30mbit or If you Wish 50mbit.

Subliminal Aura
10-12-2011, 22:43
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for posting, I'm an ex 100meg / 50 meg customer and am now on their 10 meg service and have also experienced what you have stated.

I'll collate my experiences here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33683647-are-10-meg-customers-being-conned.html