PDA

View Full Version : 100M VM Cancellation policy?

buckleb
01-12-2011, 22:20
Can anyone tell me how long I have, after a service upgrade, to cancel a service without penalty?

I had my 100Mb upgrade yesterday, after having a near faultless 50Mb service. I now find my speed has dropped to less than 4Mb/sec... speeds that I haven't seen for years!

I had hoped that my experience would be different than that of others who have found themselves in a similar situation, but alas not.

General Maximus
01-12-2011, 22:57
you have got 28 days to cancel it. It might be futile though because you'll still have to keep the shub and you'll find you are still on the same channels as you were before. What are you basing your 4mb/sec speeds on?

buckleb
01-12-2011, 23:04
Thanks for the info.

I've based it on speedtests and a number of downloads. Wired or wireless, it makes no real difference. A few minutes ago I saw speeds back up in the high 90s, but now they are back to 6Mb.

I take your point about having the same channels, as my broadband monitor showed a reduction in quality when I switched from 50Mb to 100Mb, but if I revert to 50 (or lower) I won't be paying for so much of what I can't get :)

Milambar
01-12-2011, 23:22
I thought existing customers upgrading only got 7 days, or am I mis-remembering something?

nfs6600
02-12-2011, 00:18
I thought existing customers upgrading only got 7 days, or am I mis-remembering something?

28 days is if you add a new service. i.e. Never had Broadband before so therefore 28 days Money Back.

7 days for upgrades which starts the day after the agreement is made. 28 days also applies for TiVo

maxlo
02-12-2011, 00:36
But you are allowed to drop back to 50M without penalty and whenever you like, I think? Thats what I will do next.

I have had the same 100M/Superhub problem as you. 2 engineers later and it is still not fixed. It is a very poor performance all round. If the Superhub is to blame the only way I can prove it is to drop back to 50m and see if I get the brilliant broadband service I once had.

nfs6600
02-12-2011, 00:45
But you are allowed to drop back to 50M without penalty and whenever you like, I think? Thats what I will do next.

All upgrades are a minimum 30 days. Once the 30th day hits you are free to go back down the previous tier of service, though the price may not be the same, all depends if the deal you had on 50Mb is still available.

buckleb
03-12-2011, 16:51

I have had the same 100M/Superhub problem as you. 2 engineers later and it is still not fixed. It is a very poor performance all round. If the Superhub is to blame the only way I can prove it is to drop back to 50m and see if I get the brilliant broadband service I once had.

After a reboot of the superhub I had half decent speeds again, but less than an hour later it dropped back to 6Mb.

I will be calling Virginmedia on Monday to get my upgrade cancelled and return to 50Mb. If that is just as bad I will reduce the service to the lowest tier.

I use the superhub in modem mode in conjunction with my own wireless router. With the 50Mb service I was getting full speed even over my wireless connection, so the huge reduction in service is as noticeable as it is disappointing.

maxlo
05-12-2011, 00:46
After a reboot of the superhub I had half decent speeds again, but less than an hour later it dropped back to 6Mb.

I will be calling Virginmedia on Monday to get my upgrade cancelled and return to 50Mb. If that is just as bad I will reduce the service to the lowest tier.

I called CS on saturday and asked to be dropped back to 50mb with no problem. Speeds are now back to a decent ~48mb without any wild fluctuations 100mb was giving me. Hopefully you will have the same outcome.

All in all I dont think my network area can support 100mb and I feel somewhat duped by Virgin. They should test this more thoroughly before wasting their time and my time. Maybe I will return should it improve.

In the end I got a refund for the month of bad service and 6 months of Spotify truly free with effectively no upgrade.

buckleb
05-12-2011, 13:37
I mentioned it in another thread (but neglected to update this one, sorry) that a removal and reattachment of the cable and attenuator to my Superhub seems to have fixed the issue I had. Speeds are now consistently high and stable.

I uploaded 2GB of photos to my Skydrive yesterday, all very painless with the 10Mb upload rate.

I'm (back to being) happy with my service now. Hopefully it will remain that way :)