PDA

View Full Version : 100M canceled upgrade

mollydogl
29-11-2011, 09:52
I have just canceled my 100M upgrade from 50 to 100
heard all the horror stories about the superhub

I wanted to keep my old hub and router but virgin said this will not work ?
they was not intrested and said you can stay on 50M

do you think i have the right thing staying on something that is stable ?

I thought they could use my old VM modem

Nopanic
29-11-2011, 09:59
The Superhub in modem only mode is fine.

Reading forums, where people go to complain isn't the best way to get a true reflection of a service.. but then I guess as a customer, it's your only way.

The VMNG300 you have will work on 100Mb but not forever, so VM are future proofing.

mollydogl
29-11-2011, 10:03
Oh Ok I did ask virgin about issues with the superhub but they said if it goes wrong you can get a engineer out ?

I was only concerned as i use wireless a lot and the superhub i was told dont have a good range as the old d link

jb66
29-11-2011, 12:39
But you put the hub into modem mode and continue to use the dlink

maxlo
29-11-2011, 23:38
Yes you did the right thing. From my disapointingly poor experience of the 100meg service so far I wish I had your good foresight to cancel early.

General Maximus
30-11-2011, 08:37
you did the right thing for now dude. I got screwed when i upgraded last week and was told that I could keep my vmng300 only for them to swap it over anyway. The VMNG300 can handle 100mbit without breaking a sweat but they are just being stubborn and refusing to use something that works. What's even better is that they lie to you about it. I had a dude from tech support try to tell me the other day that the reason why they needed to swap the modems over is because you can only get 20mbits per docsis channel and 4 channels on the vmng300 = 80mbit but using all 8 channels on the shub = 160mbits. I did laugh before I corrected him.

So far (touch wood) I haven't had any problems with the shub in modem mode but I am waiting for it. Tbh I wouldn't upgrade for another year or so once they have released enough revisions of firmware that they have fixed all the problems, or decided to knock it on the head and go with something better (Ambit VMNG400:) :) :) :) )

banjo
30-11-2011, 10:22
I did a silly thing last Wednesday and upgraded to 30 meg from 10 meg having never had any trouble, after finding no difference on the faster speed I asked to send the S-hub back and go back to my old modem and package.

I was told that I could not go back to my perfectly good modem as it is obselete, I am now having to use a wired connection as the wireless is useless

Stephen
30-11-2011, 10:47
I have had the SH for over a year on 50Mb and its worked perfectly for me and get great wireless performance for it.

Like any device some people will have a few issues and others will have none. However on forums like this you tend to only hear about the problems!

ErnieBean
30-11-2011, 11:26
Hi I have a super hub, son could not get onto ea sports game ,
and wireless dropped very slow after 19:00 hrs
So I removed the super-hub and replaced it with original unit
no problems since, touch wood and whistle

banjo
30-11-2011, 15:41
But you put the hub into modem mode and continue to use the dlink

How would I do this ?