PDA

View Full Version : Football Gary Speed has died

Chad
27-11-2011, 12:26
Breaking news - Wales manager Gary Speed has died. No further info at this time.

Russ
27-11-2011, 12:28
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15909277

Words fail me :(

Kingofthedead4
27-11-2011, 12:29
I just heard, absolutely shocked. He was only on football focus yesterday. He was already proving to be a great manager the way wales were beginning to play. RIP A Genteman and A legend.

Media Boy UK
27-11-2011, 12:30
He was on BBC one yesterday talking about Wales. RIP.

mullerman
27-11-2011, 12:33
Im a big leeds fan,he was immense for us,cant believe it,seemed a really nice guy,our sympathy goes out to his family.

Russ
27-11-2011, 12:40
Word is doing the rounds that it was suicide - not confirmed yet though.

Maggy
27-11-2011, 12:45
BBC news has confirmed that it was suicide.
What a waste.:(

Kymmy
27-11-2011, 12:46
RIP Gary

nstokes
27-11-2011, 13:00
he was found hanged

Damien
27-11-2011, 13:05
Utterly shocking. Can't believe it. I just didn't register when it came up on my Twitter feed. I thought I must have misunderstood, they can't have meant that Gary Speed, maybe I had mixed up the name with someone else.

42, Doing so well with a young Welsh side. A tragic loss for his players, his country and his family.

As an Arsenal fan it should be said Ramsey did so well with him as his national coach, he made him captain as well.

Russ
27-11-2011, 13:06
Typical, we get a manager who actually seems interested in his job and makes real tangible progress and this happens :-(

Damien
27-11-2011, 13:32
Sad parallels with Robert Enke. The German goalkeeper who silently battled with depression until his suicide (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8353964.stm) two years ago. It was only this morning I was reading this (http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1) from Stan Collymore about his battle with depression.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Nice scenes in the Swansea match. The crowd broke the silence for applause and chants of 'One Gary Speed'.

Uncle Peter
27-11-2011, 13:43
This is very sad, he was a good man and a great footballer.

RIP Gary

thenry
27-11-2011, 14:09
my condolences to his family

denphone
27-11-2011, 14:27
l have just got in and turned on the news and l just cannot believe it that he has taken his own life.

RIP Gary

Shadow Demon UK
27-11-2011, 14:28
I'm completely shocked by this :( RIP Gary

superbiatch
27-11-2011, 14:46
Such a shock after seeing him in good spirits on footie focus just yesterday, but he was obviously masking his feelings - so scary when it happens like this.

His poor children are going to have to live with this for the rest of their lives probably wondering what they did wrong. I have a dear friend of mine who's father hung himself and even though in his mind there was justification for killing himself (he had an affair), my friend still blames herself to this day - some 11 years later.

RIP fella, itys only a shame you couldn't talk about things :(

richard1960
27-11-2011, 14:53
Just watching all the tributes to him on BBC news 24 a real tragedy for his family and freinds seemed like a lovely guy RIP Gary.

Arthurgray50@blu
27-11-2011, 20:02
I was in total shock when l heard the news that Gary Speed was dead.

My prayers go to his family, he was so young.:(

devilincarnate
27-11-2011, 20:15
RIP Gary:( My heart goes out to the family :( What a loss as he was a great player:(

Arthurgray50@blu
27-11-2011, 20:58
He must have had serious problems if he took his own life, this is a very sad story and a waste of a young life.

He was talking on the BBC yesterday and looked in great shape.

Pierre
27-11-2011, 21:12
Apparently he topped himself.

Just goes to show..............

Didn't see that coming, you would think he everything to live for

Russ
27-11-2011, 21:27
Rumours are rife that a tabloid was about to expose a story about him. So much so that The Sun's twitter page officially denied they were investigating him for something.

Arthurgray50@blu
27-11-2011, 21:56
If its the Sun, then its a load of crap - that paper is gutter press.

If it true then The Sun should be ashamed of its self.

Damien
27-11-2011, 22:25
The Sun wouldn't issue a clear denial if it was in anyway true.

Arthurgray50@blu
27-11-2011, 22:50
IF its true, then l won't buy the paper again.

denphone
28-11-2011, 06:53

Well l will never bought this paper since Hillsborough and never will buy it again.

Peter_
28-11-2011, 07:04
You should not have been buying that thing since Hillsborough when it made callous out of hand accusations involving the dead.:mad::mad::mad:

The anger is at the rag not you by the way.

Tinky
28-11-2011, 07:44
Apparently it was his wife who found him.

R.I.P. Gary

broadbandking
28-11-2011, 11:45
Sad day for everyone really, he seemed to be turning Wales, looking in good shape but you now what they say you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. R.I.P Gary Speed my heart goes out to your family, friends and the whole of Wales.

TheDaddy
29-11-2011, 12:50
Rumours are rife that a tabloid was about to expose a story about him. So much so that The Sun's twitter page officially denied they were investigating him for something.

Some thing strange is going on, he agent said there'd been no rows with his wife and he wasn't depressed, won't post a link as it's from The Sun :shocked:

Jimmy-J
29-11-2011, 14:58
Admin edit (Chris): Crass, tasteless comment removed. Please remember this forum is supposed to be family-friendly.

HD Boy
29-11-2011, 19:19
Such a shock after seeing him in good spirits on footie focus just yesterday, but he was obviously masking his feelings - so scary when it happens like this.

His poor children are going to have to live with this for the rest of their lives probably wondering what they did wrong. I have a dear friend of mine who's father hung himself and even though in his mind there was justification for killing himself (he had an affair), my friend still blames herself to this day - some 11 years later.

RIP fella, itys only a shame you couldn't talk about things :(

If you watch the first 4 seconds he seems quite nervous and twisting his wedding ring. Was this a sign ? Very sad :(

RIP Gary

superbiatch
29-11-2011, 21:37
If you watch the first 4 seconds he seems quite nervous and twisting his wedding ring. Was this a sign ? Very sad :(

RIP Gary

I did notice that when they re-ran it again on the news, but still he spent that afternoon discussing next years' holiday with Alan Shearer and then had a dinner party that evening according to reports. Very strange and very sad :(

nashville
29-11-2011, 21:40
It is hard to take this news in. He was such a good looking man and everything to live for, Why Oh why.!!!!

Russ
29-11-2011, 21:57
Some thing strange is going on, he agent said there'd been no rows with his wife and he wasn't depressed, won't post a link as it's from The Sun :shocked:

I heard more rumours earlier that a paper was indeed going to run with a story in the next few days but put it off indefinitely because of his death and the negative publicity it would get from the ongoing Leveson enquiry.

Russ
02-12-2011, 11:14
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15995644.stm

Awesome.

denphone
02-12-2011, 13:05

Awesome.

How lovely and a fitting tribute to Gary Speed.

borrissey
03-12-2011, 00:50
RIP Gary Speed.

Legend of Welsh football.

Caff
03-12-2011, 02:07

Awesome.

What a wonderfully sensitive rendition. :tu: Mr Jones and acoustic guitarist.
I can just picture the crowd belting their hearts out to it on match days :)

Thanks for posting, Russ.

denphone
04-01-2012, 21:07
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16293320.stm

A Gary Speed memorial international friendly will be played when Wales host Costa Rica on 29 February, the Football Association of Wales has announced

The Welsh FA has confirmed their first friendly since Wales boss Speed's death will be at the Cardiff City Stadium.

The FAW have revealed that 10% of all profits from the friendly will go to the chosen charities of Speed's family.

"This will be an opportunity to celebrate the life and achievements of a great servant to Welsh football both as a player and as a manager," said a Welsh FA statement

Damien
04-01-2012, 22:38
Costa Rica is a bit rubbish, be nicer if they got one of the UK national teams or a special XI team....

Cobbydaler
04-01-2012, 22:46
Disgusting if true...
AFC Telford are investigating allegations football fans chanted about the death of the former Wales manager Gary Speed during the team's game at Wrexham on Sunday.

The inquiry follows a complaint from a Wrexham supporter and has caused upset among other fans who heard the remarks.Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16414866)

Caff
04-01-2012, 22:54
Wales could field a team made up of Welsh players, past and present, with (agreed) unlimited substitutions. That would make it more entertaining and attract more fans to attend I think. In turn that would increase the amount of money that will go to Gary's family's charities.
Oh, and the Stereophonics to play at half time.

Russ
04-01-2012, 22:56
Costa Rica is a bit rubbish, be nicer if they got one of the UK national teams or a special XI team....

I think that would make it too tribal and against the spirit of the event. A special XI could be a good idea though.

TheDaddy
04-01-2012, 22:59

It's got to be some one they have a chance of beating...

Russ
04-01-2012, 23:00
I knew someone would have a cheap pop - the event wouldn't be about winning or losing, it's a memorial game celebrating his life.

TheDaddy
04-01-2012, 23:06
I knew someone would have a cheap pop - the event wouldn't be about winning or losing, it's a memorial game celebrating his life.

and that's why they chose Costa Rica, hardly a fitting memorial for one of the Premier league and Wales' favourite sons now is it.

Russ
04-01-2012, 23:09
and that's why they chose Costa Rica, hardly a fitting memorial for one of the Premier league and Wales' favourite sons now is it.

More likely that it was the only team able to get a game together so close to the event. It's not like teams can just drop everything.

Shadow Demon UK
04-01-2012, 23:25
More likely that it was the only team able to get a game together so close to the event. It's not like teams can just drop everything.

Wasn't it the team he made his debut for Wales against? That might have something to do with it.

TheDaddy
04-01-2012, 23:42

You know what Russ I bet thousands still turn up for him regardless of the opposition, he was unlike almost every other modern day footballer in that he was genuinely liked by all who met him. Had I been organising it though I'd have had a prem 11 consisting of players past and present from teams he played for and a Wales 11 consisting of the same, just would have been a little more fitting imo.

Russ
04-01-2012, 23:51
You know what Russ I bet thousands still turn up for him regardless of the opposition, he was unlike almost every other modern day footballer in that he was genuinely liked by all who met him. Had I been organising it though I'd have had a prem 11 consisting of players past and present from teams he played for and a Wales 11 consisting of the same, just would have been a little more fitting imo.

I agree but at this stage of the season which teams would allow their players to be available for it? Yes it's a good cause but a very important time of the year for many teams.

Caff
05-01-2012, 00:23
I get your point, Russ.
But the date is a Wednesday. Surely any club can spare a player for one Wednesday's morning training and live without them for a few more hours (if they don't have an evening match that day) .
The bigger risk would be an injury to the player - which is quite unlikely given the nature of the match.

Russ
05-01-2012, 00:32
I get your point, Russ.
But the date is a Wednesday. Surely any club can spare a player for one Wednesday's morning training and live without them for a few more hours (if they don't have an evening match that day) .
The bigger risk would be an injury to the player - which is quite unlikely given the nature of the match.

I disagree - an injury can occur from turning quickly, running off too fast etc. No club will want to risk a player getting injured at this stage of the season in what will be (let's be honest here...) to most clubs, a fairly unimportant match. I'm not saying they wouldn't respect Speed's memory, but I can't see anyone considering it a priority.

Caff
05-01-2012, 00:42
I disagree - an injury can occur from turning quickly, running off too fast etc. No club will want to risk a player getting injured at this stage of the season in what will be (let's be honest here...) to most clubs, a fairly unimportant match. I'm not saying they wouldn't respect Speed's memory, but I can't see anyone considering it a priority.

You disagree that I said that a bigger risk would be an injury?
The nature of the game would be "a friendly" and any footballer who can't move or position himself properly on the pitch has no need to be on the pitch for that match.

My soon-to-be-ex messed his knee up in training the day before playing Man Utd. He never played again.

But the players will be showing respect and not being so competative if they've been briefed properly.

Having said that: I can trip over a matchstick sometimes, and if you take it away I'll fall over the gap :D

Russ
05-01-2012, 00:50
This is going way off-topic but a player can get injured from just sprinting for a ball, nothing to do with how competitively he's playing. I'm not saying each tackle should be a Vinny Jones, but I'm sure Speed would not want players pussy-footing around in a game in his honour.

Caff
05-01-2012, 00:57
This is going way off-topic but a player can get injured from just sprinting for a ball, nothing to do with how competitively he's playing. I'm not saying each tackle should be a Vinny Jones, but I'm sure Speed would not want players pussy-footing around in a game in his honour.

You'll be teaching me to suck eggs next :D