PDA

View Full Version : Superhub 50 Mb business Broadband Wireless Speed Issue

senthamizh
22-11-2011, 21:18
Virmedia business team deployed new 50 Mbps broadband with Superhub. This service is able provide 45-48 Mbps if i connect my laptop through LAN cable. if i try to access through wireless - N then i am only getting 8.8 Mbps. Virgin media said strange answer that they cannot guarantee wireless speed.
It is absolutely unacceptable.

The superhub has Wireless-N technology with 5 GHZ.
I have Alienware laptop with Kill Wireless-N card.

It supposed to give atleast 30 Mbps download. But it is not. The answer is really unacceptable from Virgin Media Business.

I am finding difficult to run my servers. If someone know any configuration then please help me.

jb66
22-11-2011, 21:21
They don't grunted wifi speeds, how can they? They can't control interference in te atmosphere, my suggestion is to buy a decent router, not the piece of garbage hub

senthamizh
22-11-2011, 21:36
Thanks for the update.

I have new CISCO wireless-N router and have spend approx £600. If i connect this router to Gigabit Virgin Super Hub then it is still giving 8 Mbps. it is rediculous. I have seen many of my friends are using superhub and they are getting 40-46 Mbps through wireless.

AndyCalling
22-11-2011, 22:32
Then it isn't the Shub that's causing your issues, as the Cisco router is having the same issues. The problem could be:

1) Your wlan cards or drivers. A possibility if they are all the same. Try to find a driver update or contact the forum for your wlan cards.

2) You have interference issues. Use Inssider to work out what channel is best and use that one.

3) You have made poor choices re. your configuration.

Regarding option 3, here is some guidance. No company can guarantee wifi reception in every location, because they don't know what you or others will be doing nearby. Sources of RF interference such as cordless phones and microwaves can be an issue. As can some industrial equipment. Keep both laptops and the Shub away from sources of RF.

5Ghz mode is handy for avoiding interference, but can give less range or obstacle penetration than 2.4Ghz mode. This is not always true though, it depends on a lot of things that are hard to predict. You need to experiment. Try switching to 5Ghz mode to see if it helps, the default setting for the Shub is 2.4Ghz mode. Be sure your wlan cards in your laptops can actually use 5Ghz mode, or they won't see the Shub at all. Your frequency choices need to be determined through your own experimentation and good judgement, not through complaining at VM, moaning at the Shub or clasping your hands together, falling to your knees and exclaiming 'WHY GOD, WHY?' heavenwards from the office floor.

Try a single channel speed (such as 145mb/s on the Shub) as that may boost the range, or it may have the opposite effect of reducing speed. If you are using 2.4Ghz mode you should be using a single channel anyway, unless you are a farmer or a miner or something. Two channels is sensible for 5Ghz mode only. If a neighbour of mine ever decided they could be a wifi thug and trample all over the 2.4Ghz spectrum you can be sure I would be banging on the ceiling with my broom until they turned it down. Remember, our spectrum is a shared resource and digital hooligans don't win friends. If such noisy neighbours are causing your problems (Inssider should show you, or Wifi Analyser on your Android mobile as a great hand detector) then I suggest you go round and stamp all over their router until they apologise. Or, if you want to do something a little less actionable, slip them a note politely asking them to keep the digital noise down as your people are trying to get some work done next door. If they don't respond then slip them another note to remind them that two can play at that game and that you can make sure they never get another wireless signal next door to you ever again. If they call your bluff get a few powerful routers (hopefully ones on which you can overclock the transmitter power a bit) with some directional aerials and make some parabolic dishes. Take out the 2.4Ghz band and force the neighbour on to 5Ghz mode. Or, make your own 2.4Ghz noise transmitter (limited power of course, stay legal) with a directional aerial and parabolic dish and target their router.

Erm, just checking, but you don't have your Cisco router and the Shub both broadcasting on the same channel do you? That would be bad.

senthamizh
23-11-2011, 18:14
Thanks for the update. I usually dont complain about any services unless and until i am pretty sure there is a fault. I have been using virgin business broadband with modem last 3 years and it worked well with my cisco routers. I have already tried all the options provided below like increasing and decreasing GHZ. My laptop has killer wireless-N 5 GHZ support.

I was tested the connection speed by sitting next to superhub.

I have already installed inSSIder software to identify right channel and configured.

I have tested on SuperHub wireless and connecting CISCO router.

One thing i dont understand. The output from the SuperHub is 50 Mbps. But when i transmit the signal in 5 or 2.4 GHZ then the speed reduced to 8 Mbps.

I have seen some strange configuration like Downstream LOCK. Is anyone aware of this?. Please update me.

senthamizh
09-12-2011, 20:33
The issue got resolved today as they have changed new SuperHub. I am not sure what was the issue. But the issue got resolved.