PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Low Latency and Bad Speeds.

InfiniteBiscuit
18-11-2011, 20:15
Bonjour forumers!

Recently moved into a new flat with my missmatch; who happened to bring her VM from her old flat with her.

We've got the famed SuperHub. Everyone cheer! And she mentioned there being problems at her old place. Now it would seem that said SuperHub has a bit of a strange wireless problem.

Via ethernet, the SuperHub is fine. Reasonable ping times, good speeds (bar upload, but that's another thread altogether).

Wireless however is atrocious. Ping times can sky rocket to the 2000ms, and as you can imagine download and upload speeds become almost nonexistant.

Only three devices connect wirelessly. A laptop, and two phones.

The router sits in a pretty techy spot, near a TV, computer, VM Box, Xbox 360 and a sound system. And whilst I'm aware that wireless can be effected by this techno wizardry however my old Netgear WNR2000 did the job without a hitch at my old house.

I've messed about with the wireless channel, changed the WPA password, but haven't delved much further. It's currently on WPA Auto, with Channel 11.

Before I give VM a phone, I'd like to wrap my head around some further suggestions; and get an opinion from people who have had a similiar problem.

Thank you.

Mick Fisher
18-11-2011, 22:54
Try setting the superhub to 145mbps for stability.

Use InSSider (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/InSSider) to help you manually optimise your wireless channel by selecting the channel that gives you the lowest RSSI value. Bear in mind the RSSI values are always minus so the best values are those closest to zero.

WPA2-PSK[AES] seems to be flavour of the month security wise.

The wireless on the superhub is notoriously weak. If you continue to have problems think about acquiring a decent router and switch the superhub to modem mode.

InfiniteBiscuit
18-11-2011, 23:17
I'll give that a try, thanks!