PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to Internet Using Different PC

Chard
17-11-2011, 22:20
Greetings

I'm fixing a friend's computer at home and was wondering if it is possible to use my ethernet cable to connect to the internet on their computer? Previously when I has a USB connection I simply plugged it in and was connected straight away. However, when I plug the ethernet cable into the new computer I get the icon saying 'no connectivity'. I've unplugged my set top box and re-started but still no luck.

Are there some settings I need to change? I'm also buying a new computer for the folks and was wondering if I'd have the same problem there?

Thanks for your time

Chard

Milambar
17-11-2011, 22:32
I'm sorry.. For once Im not quite clear what you are asking.

I will take a guess tho.

You will need to reboot the modem when plugging the ethernet cable into a different PC, so it associates with that PC's MAC address, if you don't have a router.

If you do have a router, then you can plug up to 4(usually) different PC's into it at once.

A modern operating system will detect the presence of an ethernet connection and adjust its own settings. No user intervention is (normally) needed.

MovedGoalPosts
17-11-2011, 23:12
If you are still using a STB (TV box) for your internet service, you need to call Virgin Media and get that replaced with a standalone modem. Service via STB has been superceded for some years now and even the basic internet service now is faster than the STB can provide. You could well have problems connecting new computers to the STB as if I recall correctly each computer needs to be registered with the STB's servers.