PDA

View Full Version : 50M 50MB on VMNG300

adduxi
15-11-2011, 19:57
Thinking of upgrading from 30 to 50mb and want to keep my VMNG300.

I have searched the Forum, but can't seem to find anyone who is actually using the VMNG300/50MB combo?

All I want to do is phone and get the modem config file sent out, without the engineer visit etc. My reasoning being the 30MB is very reliable so the upgrade should be okay.?

jb66
15-11-2011, 20:14
most folk have the vmng300 for 50meg, its what the modem was designed for

Nopanic
16-11-2011, 06:51
aye .. long live the VMNG300

adduxi
16-11-2011, 08:24
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I'll give CS a ring over the weekend and see what happens.
I'm a believer in static IP addressing and I didn't want the pain of re-addressing all my kit if I was forced to use a Superhub again.
Took me long enough to get the VMNG300 :D

Sephiroth
16-11-2011, 14:50
If you can avoid an engineer install, then no problem.

But AFAIK, the engineer is instructed to swap the VMNG300 out for a SH. He'll claim it's VM property and there's not much you can do about that.

When he swapped mine out (the fault was not in my house), the good news was that the IP address remained the same in Modem Mode as it was with the VMNG300.

No problems whatsoever in Modem Mode.

Cheers

Peter_
16-11-2011, 15:18
When he swapped mine out (the fault was not in my house), the good news was that the IP address remained the same in Modem Mode as it was with the VMNG300.

It would do as the modem is still offering the same MAC address to the servers.

Chrysalis
16-11-2011, 17:37
good luck.

yesterday without my consent tech support in india deactivated my vmng300 (on 30mbit) I then spent 20-30 minutes trying to get it back, and out of about 5-6 staff only one even attempted to do it, there now seems to be a system block in activiating these modems. I guess changing tiers may stll be possible but the way I see it a tier change is still activiating a service on a modem, so if you can get that done then I have been lied to by staff who claim its not possible. They told me I had to downgrade to 20mbit a docsis1 service to use a docsis3 modem. They better be careful because I may well do that.

philwhite100
16-11-2011, 18:31
I am using the 50meg/VMNG300 combo. I did opt fot the Superhub at somepoint later but this halved my upload speed so i had the VMNG300 reactivated.

Slyder
16-11-2011, 21:12
Thinking of upgrading from 30 to 50mb and want to keep my VMNG300.

I have searched the Forum, but can't seem to find anyone who is actually using the VMNG300/50MB combo?

All I want to do is phone and get the modem config file sent out, without the engineer visit etc. My reasoning being the 30MB is very reliable so the upgrade should be okay.?

Alot of people will be using 50meg with the VMNG300 as this was the modem used for the 50meg launch. I was on the understanding back in the day anyone wanting to upgrade there service would require an engineer visit and a modem swap if they were using anything higher.

A word of advice based on events a few months back, I'll make this as short as possible - but I to was using 30meg on the VMNG300 and asked about upgrading. An engineer visit was required (all be it I think this was mainly so VM could check my signals and the visit was a forced formality) Anyway engneer broke the VMNG300 in the process and "could not leave till the customer had the internet and was satisfied" I think the latter was slightly ignored as I was minus my modem and given the so called super hub.

Quick phone call to a contact and I was shipped a new VMNG300 which worked perfect on the 50meg service (which obviously it should) and due to personal circumstance I downgraded to 30meg again.

Moral of the story I learnt if it is not broke, dont fix it. Unless of course you can grab the 50meg config file from a nice CS advisor without the hassel of the visit.

good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Pipster
16-11-2011, 21:20
Im on the 50mb and have the VMNG300 modem. When I upgraded to 50mb I had the superhub and it didn't work. Had to go down the CEO route to get the VMNG300 modem and have never had a moments trouble with it since getting it. I wouldn't upgrade to 100mb because I don't want the superhub and happy to stay on the 50mb with the VMNG300 modem

philwhite100
16-11-2011, 21:40
Im on the 50mb and have the VMNG300 modem. When I upgraded to 50mb I had the superhub and it didn't work. Had to go down the CEO route to get the VMNG300 modem and have never had a moments trouble with it since getting it. I wouldn't upgrade to 100mb because I don't want the superhub and happy to stay on the 50mb with the VMNG300 modem

There are some who kept their VMNG300 to use the 100meg service.
I will do the same when i decide to upgrade.

My only problem with the Superhub is the upload speed which is half what the VMNG300 provides.

Peter_
16-11-2011, 21:55
There are some who kept their VMNG300 to use the 100meg service.
I will do the same when i decide to upgrade.

My only problem with the Superhub is the upload speed which is half what the VMNG300 provides.
As the VMNG300 only supports 4 downstreams and Virgin Media are slowly rolling out up to 8 downstreams sooner rather than later your modem will have to be replaced unless you are happy to put up with a degraded service.

The Superhub in Modem Mode gives the same if not better performance than the VMNG300 due to the extra channels.

Chrysalis
17-11-2011, 14:29
As the VMNG300 only supports 4 downstreams and Virgin Media are slowly rolling out up to 8 downstreams sooner rather than later your modem will have to be replaced unless you are happy to put up with a degraded service.

The Superhub in Modem Mode gives the same if not better performance than the VMNG300 due to the extra channels.

The vmng300 has better latency. At least mine does. That lower latency doesnt really affect downloading and streaming but makes browsing snappier and helps on latency sensitive apps.

Luckily I am back on it now.

Peter_
17-11-2011, 15:48
The vmng300 has better latency. At least mine does. That lower latency doesnt really affect downloading and streaming but makes browsing snappier and helps on latency sensitive apps.

Luckily I am back on it now.
The should not be much difference when using the Superhub in Modem Mode and sooner or later you will not have a choice as the extra downstreams rollout or the modem fails.

morley04
17-11-2011, 16:50
So customers that still have the VMNG300 will receive a FREE super-hub when they get round to increasing the number of channels? And why are they increasing the number of channels if 4 can support 100mb

17-11-2011, 16:58
So customers that still have the VMNG300 will receive a FREE super-hub when they get round to increasing the number of channels? And why are they increasing the number of channels if 4 can support 100mb
It's to give more total bandwidth. With 4 channels you're essentially limited to 200Mbps, which isn't a lot if a lot of customers have 30Mbps-100Mbps plans.

2 customers downloading on 100Mbps would use that bandwidth already. See the problem?

morley04
17-11-2011, 18:04
I see ;) So maybe the VMNG300 will be useless some time next year then or for how ever long it takes for them to increase the channels and swap modems over so were all looking at a blooper hub in the future :)

Peter_
17-11-2011, 21:53
I see ;) So maybe the VMNG300 will be useless some time next year then or for how ever long it takes for them to increase the channels and swap modems over so were all looking at a blooper hub in the future :)
The Superhub in Modem Mode is no different to the VMNG300 it does what it is supposed to do and that is provide up to 100Mb to many many customers especially when you consider that the are more than 500,000 on the network and the majority working just fine.