PDA

View Full Version : 100M Basingstoke area?

dragon
15-11-2011, 16:23
Noticed 100Mbit/s is now available in the Basingstoke area does anyone have it yet, wanted to know how well it's performing?

Currently thinking of switching from SKY for our TV since it would be a pain to recable the house for Sky+/HD (Underfloor cabling.etc) were as there's already a VM cable point in the living room from a previous install.

If I took VM for TV was thinking mights as well take the broadband as well and get rid of one of my ADSL lines.

Thing that really puts me off is my parents who live a couple of roads away have 30Meg and their service is terrible with a lot of packet loss times. (Still don't think they've reported it :mad:)

Don't expect to get 100Mbit/s all the time but I consider anything above 1-2% PL in normal circumstances to be excessive (My parents connection was 15%+ PL)

Edit:

Also does the superhub have a working bridge mode yet, would much prefer to use one of my routerboards.

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 18:56
if you want the best of both worlds dude I would go with VM for phone and BB and stick with Sky for tv. The only upside to going with VM for TV is a combi discount. If you have been used to Sky TV switching to VM will be a massive step down for you, trust me, I have got both.

Even if cable BB is semi-poo, I am sure it will be a million miles better than what you are getting on adsl. Bridge mode has been available on the shub for a while now.

dragon
15-11-2011, 19:06
We only have Standard SKY so not Sky+ or HD, our sat cable goes from the dish through the wall and under the floor somewhere so it's not visable.

Homeowner doesn't want sky installers running new cable as they'll just tack it round the outside and drill through the wall most likely, VM shouldn't need to do that as there's already a cable point in the correct room (assuming the cabling is still good)

My ADSL syncs between 17 and 20Mbit/s anyway (Used to have ~40Meg bonded DSL but changed to 2 separate ISP's).

Tbh I'm not likely to get 100Mbit/s on a single station most of the time as the network's mostly wireless but more interested in that tier for the higher upload and the fact there's no STM on the top tier (Don't care about p2p throttling as i don't use it).

Are you still saying the VM TV with the TIVO won't be better than standard sky :confused:

General Maximus
15-11-2011, 19:36
Are you still saying the VM TV with the TIVO won't be better than standard sky :confused:

Yup, although I love Sky+, i was referring to the range of basic channels

dragon
16-11-2011, 00:22
Yup, although I love Sky+, i was referring to the range of basic channels

Ah but the problem with standard sky Is we may have more channels but as we don't have PVR capability I keep missing things, or end up watching a movie half way through.

General Maximus
16-11-2011, 08:31
that is where Sky+ comes in, I love it

16-11-2011, 09:11
Having used both Sky and Virgin Media TV (currently on Virgin Media), in my opinion Virgin Media's service is a lot better, especially in terms of on-demand content.

That and the TiVo box's functionality and interface is awesome. It could be improved, sure, but I'm very happy with the service.