PDA

View Full Version : V Stuff

sixfoottwo
12-11-2011, 12:14
This does not appear to be uploading any files on any of my laptops at home. Anyone any idea what the problem is?

Milambar
12-11-2011, 14:50
Not used it myself, but I've heard that the V-Stuff thing is actually quite abysmal. There are better online storage services available, some even free, and all of which offer much larger capacities.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 15:59
Larger than unlimited?

Milambar
12-11-2011, 16:19
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/MilambarAP/Unlimited.gif

Ahh, so the ISP definition of "unlimited" is 10GB. Gotcha.

I am well aware that different packages get different limits. However the OP never posted which package hes on.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 16:35
Edited your post there ...

What relevance is size to the ops post?

I replied to you.

Milambar
12-11-2011, 17:00
Perhaps the fact that you said its "unlimited" when its actually package dependant. Especially considering the fact that the OP never said what package he was on.

It is not unlimited at all. It varies depending on your package.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Also, the relevance to the OP's post, was simply that v-stuff has been slated many times in the past as being abysmal, often on these very forums, and that perhaps he should look into the offerings of some other online storage services which may suit his needs better.

I don't believe I broke any forum rules by this, espcially since I did not name any of them, therefore was not advertising. However, if I did break a rule by suggesting he look at VM's competetors, I'd like a moderator to confirm that.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 17:11
Perhaps the fact that you said its "unlimited" when its actually package dependant. Especially considering the fact that the OP never said what package he was on.

It is not unlimited at all. It varies depending on your package.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Also, the relevance to the OP's post, was simply that v-stuff has been slated many times in the past as being abysmal, often on these very forums, and that perhaps he should look into the offerings of some other online storage services which may suit his needs better.

I don't believe I broke any forum rules by this, espcially since I did not name any of them, therefore was not advertising. However, if I did break a rule by suggesting he look at VM's competetors, I'd like a moderator to confirm that.

:erm: wtf are you going on about ?

Milambar
12-11-2011, 17:25
Well, I assume your original post was because I dared suggest that there are perhaps other companies which offered similar services, also for free, which might be better suited to the OPs needs, mostly because v-stuff has a reputation for being slow, and inefficient, and difficult to use.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33681027-v-stuff-page-2.html

A thread in which you yourself said it doesn't suite everyone.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35305227-post19.html

You also asked, and I quote, "Larger then unlimited?", except v-stuff is not unlimited, is it.
https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/backup-and-storage
Virgins very own website, which seems to be somewhat inaccurate, does not say "unlimited" anywhere.

So, I ask you, is 10GB, as shown by Virgins website, the ISP definition of unlimited, because it says quite clearly on the overview page, 20/30mbit: 5GB, 50/100mbit: 10GB.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 17:49
Ok .. Overreact much ..

Quite clearly ? Where's does it say 50/100 get 10GB

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/online-backup-and-storage.html

Milambar
12-11-2011, 17:57
Here https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/backup-and-storage

Screenshotted for you..

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/MilambarAP/Unlimited-1.png?t=1321120569

sixfoottwo
12-11-2011, 17:59
Anyone know the answer to my original question? My total storage does amount at the moment to over 57GB on XXL VIP.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 18:02
Nicely faked.

To op no, without seeing your account we can't help.

Milambar
12-11-2011, 18:04
Except its not faked. Wanna go teamviewer to see for yourself?

And that is a personal attack on my integrity, sorry.

Hugh
12-11-2011, 18:19
If any forum rules had been broken, the offender would be notified.

Point of information - if I click in the my.virginmedia.com link above your screenshot, I get something different, which shows Storage allowances of
M&L = 5GB,
XL = 10GB,
XXL/100 = Unlimited.

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:21
If any forum rules had been broken, the offender would be notified.

Point of information - if I click in the my.virginmedia.com link above your screenshot, I get something different, which shows Storage allowances of
M&L = 5GB,
XL = 10GB,
XXL = Unlimited.

I get that it is unlimited as welll want a screen shot ?

Milambar
12-11-2011, 18:22
Well now that makes me doubly curious why its showing me 5 and 10. I will try in IE and see if it shows me anything different. I will edit this post and report back in a moment.

It shows the same in IE9, 5GB and 10GB and no unlimited. I am willing to let anyone start a teamviewer session if they want to confirm that. So something screwy is going on. So the querstion becomes, why does it show unlimited to everyone else, but only 10GB to me?

Hugh
12-11-2011, 18:24
I get that it is unlimited as welll want a screen shot ?
Please, as I am on my iPad, and attachments in posts are difficult.

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:27
Please, as I am on my iPad, and attachments in posts are difficult.
Already done

Peter_
12-11-2011, 18:27
Well now that makes me doubly curious why its showing me 5 and 10. I will try in IE and see if it shows me anything different. I will edit this post and report back in a moment.

It shows the same in IE9, 5GB and 10GB and no unlimited. I am willing to let anyone start a teamviewer session if they want to confirm that. So something screwy is going on. So the querstion becomes, why does it show unlimited to everyone else, but only 10GB to me?
That screenshot is identical to my account.

kwikbreaks
12-11-2011, 18:28
It's browser dependent. Looks like VM maybe coded for IE only because it shows Unlimited with that but on Firefox mine looks like the screen grab posted.

I CBA to download opera, chrome, etc. to see what they look like.

====

Oh it gets better all the time. If you aren't signed it it shows unlimited. As soon as you do it changes to the screenshot showing 10GBfor XXL - brilliant :)

Milambar
12-11-2011, 18:29
Well, not for me. Seems I have a different view to everyone else, does anyone have any clue as to why?

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:31
It's browser dependent. Looks like VM maybe coded for IE only because it shows Unlimited with that but on Firefox mine looks like the screen grab posted.

I CBA to download opera, chrome, etc. to see what they look like.

My screen shot was from Firefox. Will do one from IE now

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 18:31
Which version of firefox ?

If this is real it's rather disappointing and has been missed for a long time.

Milambar
12-11-2011, 18:34
Im using 3.6.24 (because I hate the changes to the UI in newer versions) with noscript (disabled on that page), and adblock.

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:35
My screen shot was from Firefox. Will do one from IE now

firefox version 8

here is the screen shot for ie9

kwikbreaks
12-11-2011, 18:35
Sign in and the unlimited disappears - more VM smoke and mirrors?

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:39

If i sign in i don't get the screen because i have the storage software loaded

Hugh
12-11-2011, 18:39
Sign in and the unlimited disappears - more VM smoke and mirrors?Strange - just signed in on the iPad, and it still displays unlimited on XXL.

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:40

Oh come on i know you hate VM but do you really have to post crap like that, this has been grownup till now ?

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Strange - just signed in on the iPad, and it still displays unlimited on XXL.

Must be a slow news night :LOL:

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 18:42

The storage is well advertised, there's no attempt to hide anything .

Milambar
12-11-2011, 18:43
Or maybe an interesting issue has been discovered.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 18:44
I need to replicate it, can you post your machine specs, versions and such please.

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:45
Or maybe an interesting issue has been discovered.

Care to elaborate ?

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 18:46
The screen believed to be displayed has never been part of the vm package. So it's not like it could of been left behind.

All I can suggest is someone like Ben checks the site content as it's not anything I've put out.

kwikbreaks
12-11-2011, 18:48
Oh come on i know you hate VM but do you really have to post crap like that, this has been grownup till now ?
If I post up the two screenshots will you be a grownup and apologise.

If you are signed in you get one thing and if you aren't you get something different. The difference being the two screengrabs already posted.

Rather than clutter the forum ...

http://www.kwikbreaks.webspace.virginmedia.com/one.jpg

http://www.kwikbreaks.webspace.virginmedia.com/two.jpg

Sirius
12-11-2011, 18:55

If you are signed in you get one thing and if you aren't you get something different. The difference being the two screengrabs already posted.

I will apologise for the fact that the screen shot shows what it shows but i don't apologise for you smoke and mirrors post as it runs with your anti vm agenda and if you don't like it sue me

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 18:57

He's talking about your comments towards smoke and mirrors, no this "issue".

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Is anyone, who is seeing this issue willing to tell me what package they are on ?

Technically that is protected by the Data Protection Act (at least within VM) so you would be choosing to give up such data by your own free will :)

kwikbreaks
12-11-2011, 19:03
Fair enough - not smoke and mirrors just plain incompetence in producing a website consistent with the product offerings. Satisfied?

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Is anyone, who is seeing this issue willing to tell me what package they are on ?

I see exactly the same things on the latest IE9 and on Firefox 8.0 - it is being signed in or not which leads to the difference. I have L Broadband only and nothing else.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 19:04
Fair enough - not smoke and mirrors just plain incompetence in producing a website consistent with the product offerings. Satisfied?

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

I see exactly the same things on the latest IE9 and on Firefox 8.0 - it is being signed in or not which leads to the difference.

lol, you have two staff members online on a Saturday night looking into an issue that is clearly not affecting many customers.

Pretty good if you ask me ..

kwikbreaks
12-11-2011, 19:08
Even better the person who actually brought it up has found something far more interesting to do as I have I. G'night.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 19:09
Even better the person who actually brought it up has found something far more interesting to do as I have I. G'night.

Shocking you're happy to moan, but get bored when someone responds to address it ..

Sorry, I should of said VM don't care .. then you could of complained some more ..

Sirius
12-11-2011, 19:22
Shocking you're happy to moan, but get bored when someone responds to address it ..

Sorry, I should of said VM don't care .. then you could of complained some more ..

Did you expect anything else :LOL:

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

I await this revelation with baited breath

kwikbreaks
12-11-2011, 19:57
As I said - it wasn't me that brought it up - check back.

I also don't "hate" VM - I am just disappointed that they are unable to deliver anything approaching what they advertise in my area.

Sirius
12-11-2011, 20:01
As I said - it wasn't me that brought it up - check back.

I also don't "hate" VM - I am just disappointed that they are unable to deliver anything approaching what they advertise in my area.

However i am happy because at the moment my area is fine, I would not be happy if it was not.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/11/44.png

I dont torrent i newsgroup ;)

Milambar
12-11-2011, 20:53
Sorry for late reply, friend came round and dragged me out for a thai meal *burp*

I freely volunteer the following information.
30mbit package since it came out, prior to that it was 20mbit, Telephone M, TV M
The modem/router is a Superhub

Firefox 3.6.24, and my PC is a custom built system built to order by a friend, not an off the shelf system, specs are AMD Phenom II 1090T overclocked, 4GB RAM, 2 ATI 5850HD cards in crossfire, can't remember the motherboard.

I appreciate you guys investigating it. I hope I've provided enough information to look into it.

Nopanic
12-11-2011, 20:56
Sorry for late reply, friend came round and dragged me out for a thai meal *burp*

30mbit package since it came out, prior to that it was 20mbit, Telephone M, TV M

Firefox 3.6.24, and my PC is a custom built system built to order by a friend, not an off the shelf system, specs are AMD Phenom II 1090T overclocked, 4GB RAM, 2 ATI 5850HD cards in crossfire, can't remember the motherboard.

I appreciate you guys investigating it. I hope I've provided enough information to look into it.

That's excellent, very much appreciate you taking the time to post this.

If anyone reading this is seeing the same message, pls post .. I've tested myvm 1000 times for a number of reasons with a number of builds and haven't seen this.

I'll find where it is and make sure it's corrected ASAP.

Sirius
12-11-2011, 20:59

:tu:

I am sure someone will look into it for you.

horseman
13-11-2011, 03:17
Anyone know the answer to my original question? My total storage does amount at the moment to over 57GB on XXL VIP.

Since for some reason nobody appears to have addressed your original question then you may want to check > server-not-responding (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Backup-Storage/server-not-responding/td-p/823877/jump-to/first-unread-message)
Depending on what OS and what if any "error dialogs" are being displayed then you may have been affected by recent SSO problems on MyVirginMedia backend system updates earlier this month.

Some rough notes, further links and hypotheses are also here (although predominantly predicated on Mac OSX platform) > Ancient Horse's Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/shard/s102/sh/76d7b1ce-3803-4284-9506-d77ecd4f76a6/7f2e082c3397b726880092d0d216dd02)

roughbeast
16-11-2011, 16:26
Getting back to the actual product and its performance. Is anyone aware of any improvement in V Stuff recently? I abandoned it for its slowness and erratic behaviour 2 years ago. The fact that is was free was no excuse for wasting customers time with a dead duck. I felt that I needed paying to use it after all the wasted effort I put in.

I now use Livedrive (http://www.livedrive.com/), which is genuinely unlimited, but is costly. NB Moderators. I am not actually recommending it to your average user! ;)

One feature of Livedrive is to allow streaming of HD video, uploaded films in my case, by FTP connection to XBMC and similar media players. We store all our music, photos, video and office files there. It acts like a remote hard drive with knobs on. Has V Stuff been improved sufficiently to match elements of this performance, or does it still remain firmly in the 20th Century?

kwikbreaks
16-11-2011, 16:40
It was changed a few months back. It has some limitations which make it no use to me no matter what speed it can run at...

It can't automatically backup any USB or network drives. It was pretty much designed as a tool for backing up a standalone PC.

It mirrors that PC - if you (possibly accidentally) delete a file or folder then that same file or folder will be automatically removed from the backup.

The space would be very handy (or at least would have been when I was on XL) if it could be accessed by plain old FTP but it can't.

If you can live with the limitations then I've seen people say it can run quite fast although when I tried it out it didn't for me. I didn't persist with trying once I noticed the limitations.

roughbeast
16-11-2011, 18:28
It was changed a few months back. It has some limitations which make it no use to me no matter what speed it can run at...
....If you can live with the limitations then I've seen people say it can run quite fast although when I tried it out it didn't for me. I didn't persist with trying once I noticed the limitations.

Thanks for all of that. I'll stick with what I have got then.

Is there anybody happy with V Stuff?

Nopanic
17-11-2011, 07:58
There are many people using it, for considerable amounts of data, I don't know how happy they are though .. I assume content at least :)